Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Is Dwarf Fortress in YOUR top ten?  (Read 7037 times)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
Re: Is Dwarf Fortress in YOUR top ten?
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2008, 10:03:53 pm »

To anyone who ranks Deadly Shadows higher than T2 (or 1, for that matter) I have only one thing to say:

You either haven't played Deadly Shadows, or find a overrated game mod to be the most awesome thing ever.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2008, 12:41:19 am »

You either haven't played Deadly Shadows, or find a overrated game mod to be the most awesome thing ever.

I have no idea wh at your talking about but don't discount mods, a good mod can completly change a game and turn it from a meh game to the game it should of been.

See: Europa Barbarorum (though I am biased.)
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

geggis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2008, 07:49:55 am »

To anyone who ranks Deadly Shadows higher than T2 (or 1, for that matter) I have only one thing to say:

- eh? I don't get you. Is that a dig at The Metal Age or Deadly Shadows?

On Deadly Shadows I could never get past the cat in front of the fireplace going round and round and round and...

I've tried sitting down and playing it properly more than 3 times and each time it's been some tacky / buggy element of the game that's reminded me that Looking Glass didn't make it. Mid-level loading? Tips before each level? Glinting / glowing objects? 3rd person view? It all seems very un-Thief like. I still have it and want to play it, but that crawling feeling that I (still) won't like it creeps in and stops me.

Thief 1 & 2 were spectacular though.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2008, 09:06:40 am »

In order of playtime, descending order, "recent" games

1. Dwarf Fortress (PC)
2. Medieval 2: Total War (PC)
3. Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (WII)
4. House of the Dead 2 & 3: Return (WII)
5. Microsoft Hearts (PC)
6. Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC)
7. Fallout 2 (PC)
8. Civilization 3 (PC)
9. Sins of a Solar Empire (PC)
10. 42 All-time Classics / Clubhouse Games (NDS)

Alltime favorite games:
1. Dwarf Fortress
2. Super Smash Bros (N64)
3. Fallout 2
4. Medieval 2: Total War
5. Anything with "Dragonball" inside
6. Phoenix Wright series (NDS)
7. Worms 2 (PC)
8. GTA: Vice City
9. Civilization 3
10. Photoshop!

Charrat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2008, 09:29:19 am »

Settling on a Top Ten is very difficult and somewhat depressing, realising how much time was squandered on all of my favorite games. I submitted:

Dwarf Fortress
Final Fantasy VII
Morrowind
Command and Conquer: Red Alert
X-Com: Apocoplypse
Railroad Tycoon II
Baldur's Gate II
Diablo II
Simcity 4
Alpha Centauri

Some other contenders were Total Annhilation, Age of Empires, Halo, Homeworld, Planescape Torment, Grim Fandango, Ultima, Starcraft, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Super Mario World/64/Cart 64/Smash Bros., Myst, Black and White, Dungeon Keeper, and Star Wars Rebellion. Other games within the chosen series were great as well.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 09:57:52 am by Charrat »

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2008, 09:34:33 am »

I'm afraid I don't quite follow you there, mate. I have played Deadly Shadows, however, but having been an ardent fan of its predecessors at the time (they still have "a special place", though I haven't been able to play them of late) it didn't live up to my expectations. My younger brother, however (coicidentally a huge fan of the Europa mod, Rilder) insists that Deadly Shadows is still a fine game in its own right, so perhaps this is simply a case of bias influenced by loyalty to the previous games, or playing them in the "wrong" order.

- eh? I don't get you. Is that a dig at The Metal Age or Deadly Shadows?
...now I'm not sure who you're addressing :P
If you meant me, well, it should be apparent by now that I probably wouldn't go out of my way to rescue those responsible for 'Shadows from a burning building. I would agree with you that parts un & deux are fine examples of the game-smith's art (Thief I find to be far scarier than TMA, which isn't quite why I'd play a Thief game, so TMA nips it for an excellent story (though I resent being shanghaied into saving the world... again) and multiple other improvements to an already excellent game).
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Kalimar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2008, 11:56:46 am »

2. Medieval 2: Total War (PC)

I need help with this one as I'm currently playing it. How the heck do you deal with the AI? I first played as England and wanted to unlock every unlockable faction through world conquest. I began by building up my empire and cleaning the Scottish of the Isles (They only had their original city.) and then all of a sudden France attacks me. Well I get ANGRY and start to rampage throughout their land. I ransack Paris, I do everything I possibly could to eradicate them from the European continent (they escaped to Jerusalem when they joined the Crusade) and now everyone in the game hates me and I was excommunicated. I mean what's the big deal? They started the war, and they got one.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2008, 12:35:03 pm »

Yeah I refuse to sign up for their site and receive all their spam just so I can participate in a data mining scheme to put articles they don't work to write on their website, and loading impressions of banner ads while I do it.

I opt out. I want to make a T-shirt that says that.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

BigdwarfC

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2008, 12:39:14 pm »

DF was second on my list.

*waits to be killed for not putting it as No. 1*

Morrowind got the number 1 place on my list.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2008, 07:58:17 pm »

My Top ten in no particular order

-Theme Hospital
-The Sims
-Spore
-Graffiti Kingdom / Magic Pengel
-Fatal Frame
-Monster Rancher
-Yu-Gi-Oh Tagforce
-Valkyrie Profile
-Star Ocean
-Soul Calibur

Hmmm... I like Dwarf Fortress, but it has a long way to go before it hits my top 10... Mind you that this probably isn't my top ten since I started to need to fish for games after the 4th (though Monster Rancher is definately in my top ten)

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2008, 08:51:55 pm »

My Top ten in no particular order

-Theme Hospital
-The Sims
-Spore
-Graffiti Kingdom / Magic Pengel
-Fatal Frame
-Monster Rancher
-Yu-Gi-Oh Tagforce
-Valkyrie Profile
-Star Ocean
-Soul Calibur

Hmmm... I like Dwarf Fortress, but it has a long way to go before it hits my top 10... Mind you that this probably isn't my top ten since I started to need to fish for games after the 4th (though Monster Rancher is definately in my top ten)

What are you, ten?
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2008, 09:02:26 pm »

Hm, I'm surprised there hasn't been more Starcraft. That would have been another one in my top 10 if I had 10 favorite PC games. Maybe Spore, but only if unreleased games count.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2008, 09:05:54 pm »

Code: [Select]
I lol'd.

My top 10, not part of the survey, based on how much I enjoyed them when I played them, not on my current feelings about them.

1. Warcraft 3(Some of the Custom Maps are spectacular, I used to host            Parasite 1 over and over every day, until Parasite 2 ruined EVERYTHING)
2. Half Life 2 (For the mods, the game itself was really good, but not top ten material)
3. STALKER
4. Castlevania: Symphony of Night
5. Dwarf Fortress
6. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
7. World of Warcraft
8. Morrowind
9. Oblivion
10. Knights of the Old Republic
Shoes...

Eater of Vermin

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERMIN_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2008, 05:41:43 am »

In my top 10?  DF is my Top 10!   ;D

It's hard to say what my top 10 "favourite" games are, as the list changes from time to time depending on what style of games I'm bored with.  But DF is definitely in the 10 that have made the biggest impression on me - the ones I consider real groundbreakers, that made me go *<*WOW*>* and caused me a lot of sleepless nights.  That list (in no special order) is:

The Hobbit      (C=64)
Elite               (Amiga)
Faerie Tale        "
Civilisation         "
Doom             (PC)
Thief                "
Unreal              "
The Settlers      "
Mechwarrior      "
« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 05:43:17 am by Eater of Vermin »
Dances with Kobolds

(Mamba in the Magma...  one, two, char-char-char!)

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2008, 07:00:09 am »

6. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
2nd. I'd likely have remembered this one if the survey didn't specifically stipulate PC games (having only played the XBox version).
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5