Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Is Dwarf Fortress in YOUR top ten?  (Read 7046 times)

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is Dwarf Fortress in YOUR top ten?
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 01:42:34 pm »

1. Team Fortress 2
   2. Dwarf Fortress
   3. IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
   4. Silent Hunter III
   5. Myth
   6. Heroes of Might and Magic III
   7. Warcraft II
   8. Worms (series)
   9. Baldur's Gate
  10. Fallout

Since everyone else is posting their lists.

RPharazon

• Bay Watcher
  • [SEVERONBREAKS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 01:45:55 pm »

1 - Microsoft Flight Simulator (All the way since MSFS 95!)
2 - Transport Tycoon (All the way since 1998!)
3 - Dwarf Fortress (All the way since May!)
4 - Freespace 2 (All the way since 2005!)
5 - Team Fortress 2 (All the way since November 2007!)
6 - Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (Also!)
7 - Morrowind (Dagoth Ur!)
8 - Oblivion (Dark Brotherhood!)
9 - Tribes II (Construction Mod = Garry's Mod without physics)
10 - C&C: Tiberian Sun (The last true Tiberium-series game)

I do have to say that MSFS has changed my life somewhat, same with Transport Tycoon. Moreso than with Dwarf Fortress.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:54:49 pm by RPharazon »
<Zaratustra> DF -is- a complex version of the sims
<Zaratustra> except instead of purchasing new sofas
<Zaratustra> you die

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 01:51:53 pm »

Torment was such a great game, nobody ever came close to the quality of writing and atmosphere of that game. The dialogs are meaningful, even the most unimportant NPC usualy has an interesting thing to say, lots of hidden stuff, choices, etc... I'm actually hoping they never do a sequel, as it would inevitably be inferior to the original.

Yeah, Torment and the Planescape setting in general are great, it's too bad more wasn't done with the setting, they kinda threw it out the window. I didn't get into Torment as much as I did Baldur's Gate for some reason, though Torment had some of the best writing I've ever seen in a roleplaying game.

Regardless, I worked on the Planescape mod(s) that is coming out for NWN2... someday.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 03:28:09 pm »

This list is somewhat correctly assembled. The numberings are a bit woozy and Diablo 2, Portal and Final Fantasy VII (and HOMM3) could easily be included in the list.
Code: [Select]
   1. Dwarf Fortress
   2. N
   3. The Secret of Monkey Island
   4. Grim Fandango
   5. Sam and Max Hit the Road
   6. Transport Tycoon
   7. Fallout
   8. Sam and Max Episodes
   9. Rollercoaster Tycoon 2
  10. The Incredible Machine
I must admit it's quite weird a list. There has always been something (probably the humour and the needed thinking process) about Adventure games I have enjoyed very much. It's weird that I like them because I tend to dislike very linear story lines in other types of games.

Puzzles and Resource Control have also been close to my heart and so have Roguelikes after the day I found them, but there was a great lack of roguelikes in the choices. I was looking for ADOM, a game that would make naming #1 a hard choice.

N is the odd ball in this list. I just don't know why I like it so much. It's just so captivating addictive and I like the way the goals are set so clearly already in the start. Beating some hard episode that you have been stuck in for a long long time is quite disturbingly gratifying. As is finally beating the whole game and getting all the 100 squares filled.

EDIT: I'm currently playing Day of the Tentacle. It might end up in that list.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 03:41:11 pm by LASD »

dyze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 03:44:30 pm »

edit: And does anyone remember 4-D Boxing? Clearly, this is not a game that deserves to be in any top tens, but I loved it at the time.

lol. the memories ..i spend lots of hours on that game!
someone mentioned x-com ..that should probably be on my list too. and syndicate!

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 04:01:53 pm »

Many awesome top 10 lists. I'm happy that good classics are still remembered and that there aren't any "Halo", "Gears of War", "Oblivious (Dark Brotherhood is an exception of course - seems that it's almost the only thing that they actually managed to get right in the game)" and other crap like that.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 04:22:51 pm »

1: Dwarf Fortress - seriously. More than a year as my #1 game, and still strong.
2: Half-life *- Possibly the best game series of its kind, and outstandingly well written. If not for steam, possibly the best retail game ever.
3: Telltale Engine - Sam And Max out of raw humor and skill; again, strikingly good writing and design.
4: Morrowind - if only from weight of time spent playing it. Near the end, I only ever played to test out mods. Oblivion was several steps in the wrong direction.
5: Alpha Centauri - Speaking of time spent...
6: The Neverhood - Belongs perhaps higher; a very well-made game of fantastic clay art. You will never find it. however.
7-10: In no particular order and with some ties:
-DEFCON (powerful ambiance for such simple graphics)
-Age of Empires (No list would be complete without it. Surprisingly educational.)
-Starcraft/Warcraft (Do we really need to distinguish them?)
-Geo-political-simulator (Too new to call, but definitely the buggiest on this list.)
-Galactic Civilizations (the most recent (good) turn-based strategy game.)
-Tribes 2 (I still have it installed.)
-Myst Series (lovely and well-thought-out puzzles in the earlier games. Up until Uru live...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 04:25:42 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 04:25:01 pm »

Many awesome top 10 lists. I'm happy that good classics are still remembered and that there aren't any "Halo", "Gears of War", "Oblivious (Dark Brotherhood is an exception of course - seems that it's almost the only thing that they actually managed to get right in the game)" and other crap like that.

After I finished the Dark Brotherhood arc that's pretty much when I stopped playing Oblivion. Whoever designed/wrote that needs a medal of some kind. Though I have to ask the question, "If the rest of the game wasn't so bad, would the Dark Brotherhood quests really have stood out as much?" I'm not sure, it was still a pretty sweet series of quests.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 04:30:08 pm »

1: Dwarf Fortress - seriously. More than a year as my #1 game, and still strong.

PTTG, you dont loose interest in DF?..or is it just me? Example, the new version is out for a couple of weeks now, and I am already considering to stopping to play until the Army Arc is complete. This sandbox mode is making me sick after a period. Ive abandoned like 30 fortresses since this new version is on my HDD, Ive tried out everything, many different settings etc....few fortresses were abandoned because they were huge, and there was nothing to do anymore. I am not complaining, but I find it hard to believe that you are constantly playing it for 1+ year...btw I also took a long break before this new version, havent touched DF for months. Now I am going to make tilesets for my upcoming mod, so I wont delete the game at least this time.
I guess this is why I never bought Sim games for example, I dont like "sandbox games".
Of course DF is top 10 for me also as Ive said it already, but I guess I will really enjoy it, once we can do more stuff, and not just managing the fortress. I want army action, diplomacy, magic...Arghh.. ;D

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2008, 05:17:35 pm »

I play DF a bit a day, but it does bore me once in a while.

My shameful secret: I have played since mid-2d and I have never gotten hidden fun stuff, never gotten a king, and never gotten large sieges (more than 30 or so). I just get uninterested in it as the game slows down and start up a new fort a few days later.

Currently I am playing the HELL out of TF2. If any of you guys wants a good server to play on I'm in two clans that both have constantly-full pub servers.

Abbatoir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2008, 05:36:11 pm »

PTTG, you dont loose interest in DF?..or is it just me? Example, the new version is out for a couple of weeks now, and I am already considering to stopping to play until the Army Arc is complete. This sandbox mode is making me sick after a period. Ive abandoned like 30 fortresses since this new version is on my HDD, Ive tried out everything, many different settings etc....few fortresses were abandoned because they were huge, and there was nothing to do anymore. I am not complaining, but I find it hard to believe that you are constantly playing it for 1+ year...btw I also took a long break before this new version, havent touched DF for months. Now I am going to make tilesets for my upcoming mod, so I wont delete the game at least this time.
I guess this is why I never bought Sim games for example, I dont like "sandbox games".
Of course DF is top 10 for me also as Ive said it already, but I guess I will really enjoy it, once we can do more stuff, and not just managing the fortress. I want army action, diplomacy, magic...Arghh.. ;D
[/quote]

Lose interest from time to time, but always planning to come back...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2008, 05:52:05 pm »

Ah ok, so it is not only me.  ;D
It was funny actually, when I am inactive in the game, I am checking the development updates each day, because I love this game, even If I am bored by the new versions and not playing. I think the first real change will happen once the army arc is done, that will just change the gameplay, since we will have a real strategical part in the game.  8)

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2008, 08:59:38 pm »

They have a fair bit of games missing.

Mount and Blade
Europa Barbarorum (Mod for RTW but good enough to have its own spot)
Hearts of Iron 2
Silent Hunter 4 (has 3 though)
pacific storm
Also why does two of the guild wars expansions get there own spot?

Top Ten:
Rome: Total War: Europa Barbarorum
Dwarf Fortress
X (series) (x3 actually)
Eve Online
Galactic Civilizations II
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946
Silent Hunter III (Actually IV but III is okay)
Guild Wars
Europa Universalis (series) (closest thing to HOI2 and I needed something to fill the last spot)
Medieval: Total War
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Styrre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2008, 09:14:51 pm »

Gears of War is actually a pretty good game - coop with your best friend, at least, is lots and lots of fun. (also fun in the DF sense. Hardcore is... hard.)

... and it seems that DF players really like strategy, RPGs und Team Fortress 2.
The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush! Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2008, 09:34:19 pm »

To anyone who ranks Deadly Shadows higher than T2 (or 1, for that matter) I have only one thing to say:

what.

As for my list; I'd love to indulge myself in such an impossible but ahem "self-improving" task as listing my favourite ten PC games (I'm sure I have some, but there's a fair deal of console fodder that would otherwise make the top ten, and believe it or not even a few instances of ports that just worked better than on a console (e.g. the reinvented Sid's Pirates!, which strictly-speaking might not actually be a "port", but, well... shut up))
BUT
I'm sure nobody really gives a fie-ing fluck what I consider to be the greatest ten PC games of all time... least of all PC Gamer.

...oh, and it's late ;D

Goodnight, all!
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5