Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Is Dwarf Fortress in YOUR top ten?  (Read 7038 times)

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
Is Dwarf Fortress in YOUR top ten?
« on: August 05, 2008, 04:41:38 pm »

I recently did the PC gamer top ten favorite games survey (they have one every year and then list the winners in their Magazine). And I was pleased to find that Dwarf fortress was in the list, I was pretty surprised but nontheless it made it #4 on my list.

http://www.pcgamertop100.com/

You can take the survey here, all you need to do is register, and it's fairly simple to do that, theres no Email confirmation as well so it's that much faster.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Is Dwarf Fortress in YOUR top ten?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 04:52:58 pm »

Definitely in top 10 for me, since I prefer unique games, and gameplay is the most important stuff for me.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 05:05:53 pm »

Just voted, got in my top ten definitely. If it wasn't for Team Fortress 2 being a beautiful, beautiful gem it would have been number one for me.

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 05:07:10 pm »

Yeah Team Fortress is #2 for me :P

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 05:19:29 pm »

Oh, PC gaming only? I do mixed PC and console gaming. So I don't really have that many favorite PC games. DF is number one and Portal is number two on PC gaming for me, though. Sadly, TF2 refuses to work even though I definitely have a computer that can run it. Hell, Portal lags a bit too much.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 05:19:52 pm »

I didn't put them in any specific order. I love (most) of them equally.

Code: [Select]
   1. Dwarf Fortress
   2. Gothic
   3. Tropico
   4. Fallout
   5. Civilization III
   6. Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War
   7. Thief: Deadly Shadows
   8. Rome: Total War
   9. Age of Wonders (series)
  10. UFO: Enemy Unknown

I was disappointed not to see Arx Fatalis as a choice, but oh well. And most of the games I chose, I only picked the first in the series, though I loved them all (Fallout and Gothic, except Gothic 3, screw that game)
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 05:21:46 pm »

Actually I cba to register just to vote, but I guess most of the good old games are not on the list anyways.  :)

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 05:26:26 pm »

DF is my number one.  No other game has as deep a sandbox as DF.
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

Vidken

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 06:14:40 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is definitely my favorite among single-player games.

Flashpoint and Garrysmod (which isn't really a game) occupy my favorites for multiplay sandboxing if we don't count cooping Dwarf Fortress in VNC.

ArkTane

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 06:38:00 pm »

Hi,

I was the one (or at least one of the ones) that requested Dwarf Fortress to be added to the list, it forms my number one.

If you click the 'contact us' tab, its possible to have other games added, although you may have to wait a couple of days.

Styrre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 06:53:26 pm »

Thank you, Dark Avenger. Now I will search for hours for my Master of Orion II CD. It's gotta be somewhere in the vicinity.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The path to my fixed purpose is laid with iron rails, whereon my soul is grooved to run. Over unsounded gorges, through the rifled hearts of mountains, under torrents' beds, unerringly I rush! Naught's an obstacle, naught's an angle to the iron way!

Abbatoir

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 07:52:30 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Couldn't put Moo on the list because it lumped the series together, and 3 was an abomination.  I still recall feeling physically sick after playing moo3 for 30 minutes and realizing how utterly terrible it was (and it was the last game I got really excited for before actually playing).  On that note, I wish they had put all the Total War games together as one.  And high-five to Torak on the Tropico pick!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 07:58:32 pm »

I didn't put them in any specific order. I love (most) of them equally.

Code: [Select]
   1. Dwarf Fortress
   2. Gothic
   3. Tropico
   4. Fallout
   5. Civilization III
   6. Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War
   7. Thief: Deadly Shadows
   8. Rome: Total War
   9. Age of Wonders (series)
  10. UFO: Enemy Unknown

I was disappointed not to see Arx Fatalis as a choice, but oh well. And most of the games I chose, I only picked the first in the series, though I loved them all (Fallout and Gothic, except Gothic 3, screw that game)

Good list.  I have not played 2, 3, 4, 5 (specifically), 6, 7, 8, and 10 (specifically).  By specific, I mean I've played one in the series.  Of the ones I haven't played I've heard good things.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 08:36:41 pm »

Man, I've been itching to play some Tropico lately. Still, it's no Dwarf Fortress!

(Unfortunately, I, too am now searching in vain for MoOII... having played Railroad Tycoon II quite recently and become quite frustrated with the random industry generation and not being able to change the start date on the Britain map... and T2: The Metuhl Age has never wanted to work on my current machine; even on the virtual PC I set up with Win98, especially. Ah, well; there's always JA2, but managing two full squads' weapons and ammo and ordering in medical supplies is actually even more annoying than doing micro on stockpiles and clothing in DF!)
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 08:45:54 pm »

My top 5 (no order)

-Master of Orion
-Morrowind
-Rollercoaster Tycoon
-Angband/variants
-DWAAAARF FORTRESS
Quote from: Raphite1