Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Is Dwarf Fortress in YOUR top ten?  (Read 7030 times)

DarkAvenger

• Bay Watcher
  • Greater Awesome
    • View Profile
Re: Is Dwarf Fortress in YOUR top ten?
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2008, 09:15:09 am »

Well you do know you can leave the Email me stuff box unchecked right? All you have to do is check the I agree box and then you can vote for your games with no strings attatched

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2008, 10:18:17 am »

• Dwarf Fortress
  • The Curse of Monkey Island
  • Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Age of Empires II: Age of Kings
  • Starcraft 2
  • Warcraft II
  • Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts
  • Civilization III
  • Garry's Mod

I made most of my choices based on hours of entertainment given, or sheer awesomeness value.

I would've added Warcraft III also, but I thought that might be a bit redundant with number 2 already there. Plus, Garry's mod deserved a space. Also, I was somewhat disappointed that NetHack wasn't on there, I've been obsessed with that game recently. (I've been waging a war against the evil RNG)

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2008, 10:44:12 pm »

DF is number 2.  :-[

I suppose I could mod in Minsc and Boo and it would be number 1 though.  ;D

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2008, 12:09:38 am »

1:  The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2:  Morrowind
3:  Metroid Prime 1 & 2
4:  The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time & Majora's Mask
5:  Metroid Prime 3
6:  Super Smash Brothers (Original, Melee, & Brawl)
7:  Gears of War
8:  Tie Fighter
9:  Civilization 2 & 3 and Alpha Centauri
10: Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles

Games that are incredibly similar share the same spot, otherwise I'd have to pick just one to represent them (probably the earliest), and it feels very wrong to punish a game for being a sequel.

As for security, there's a huge gulf between Twilight Princess and Morrowind.  Everything about Twilight Princess just clicked for me in a magic way.  Morrowind is pretty secure at position 2, though.  Games 3-7 reorder from day to day, but that's how it feels right now.  Tie Fighter is pretty secure in its position right behind the cream of the crop.  Civilization could drop off at any moment.  It's a good game, but its only fun for me against human players in a casual game.  It's too easy to let my eyes glaze over or focus so much it isn't fun any more.  Crystal Chronicles is pretty secure on the list.  It has an edge over other fun games, and Civilization is more likely to drop off completely than a new game taking spot 10.

The list is based on the overall experiences of playing the games, which includes who I played them with.  Crystal Chronicles would've been nothing short of a pain with three lilties who hate bucket duty.  Gears of War wouldn't have been nearly as awesome without three buddies to gasp over a perfect head shot.  (Usually I was doing the gasping, not the head shotting.)

hactar1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 20, 2008, 09:49:20 am »

1. Deus Ex
   2. Fallout
   3. Ultima VII
   4. Dwarf Fortress
   5. Rome: Total War
   6. Half-Life 2
   7. Tribes
   8. Half-Life
   9. Warcraft II
  10. King's Quest (series)

The GamesRadar selection is... strange.  Many omissions, but I think many of my favorites are on there.  How can they have ZAngband, but no Nethack?!  Age of Wonders (a bread-and-butter strategy game) and King's Quest (the canonical adventure game) are considered "RPGs"??  Oh well... no list is perfect.

chewd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 20, 2008, 10:27:02 am »

1. DF
2. The Unreal world http://www.jmp.fi/~smaarane/urw.html
3. GTA
4. MS Flightsim
5. Transport tycoon/locomotion
6. Max Payne
7. Sim city
8. Morrowind (never could get into oblivion tho)
9. Medal of Honor
10. Ultima (spent most of my teenage years in Sosaria/Britannia, will always have a soft spot for it)

John Johnston

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrescuable aspie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 20, 2008, 08:30:34 pm »

Huh, I have difficulty arranging any kind of full ten, as most of the things I like are in series.
With the exception of the first two, these aren't in any particular order.

1.  DF
2.  Elite

3.  City Life
4.  Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire (still better than any previous or subsequent version of Civ. IMO)
5.  UFO: Enemy Unknown (with options on TFTD, UFO: Afterlight and Silent Storm, but the original still wins in terms of being able to total city blocks)
6.  Vampire: Bloodlines (very replayable for a linear game)
7.  System Shock 2 (with options on the various Thiefs, Bioshock and Deus Ex; it looks very dated now in comparison to Bioshock, but... Shodan is unholy cool.)
8.  Lemmings (and Lemmings 2)
9.  Medieval: Total War (with options on the others)
10.  Daggerfall (procedural generation of dungeons and quests means it's > Morrowind, bugs or no; and Morrowind is of course > Oblivion as any fule kno; plus who couldn't love the sound of a million voices crying "Halt!"?  ;) )

I'm pointedly not including EVE and WoW.  The day a MMORPG comes along that doesn't have a nonsensical setting and economy (looks at DF *ahem*) well setting anyway, it'll probably make the list.  See Sluggy.  :)
Oh
God it's been a lovely day
Everything's been going my way
I had so much fun today
And I'm on fire

geggis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2008, 11:10:08 am »

6.  Vampire: Bloodlines (very replayable for a linear game)

Bloodlines was such a disappointment. I'd heard it was a buggy pile of bottom baubles, then heard it had a cult following for its story and script. So I gave it a go and all I got, whilst bug-free - thanks to some dedicated fans - was a messy, misogynistic and sophomoric sub-par RPG-cum-shooter. The combat was laughably bad throughout despite believing it would get better with more experience. The game didn't know its own strengths and weaknesses so it deteriorated into tedium. It had its moments and flirted with greatness. A real shame.

Javewa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2008, 11:48:11 am »

Personal Top Ten in no particular order and very generalized

1)   Dwarf Fortress (of course)
2)   Civilization Series (IV for Fall from Heaven, SMAC for greatness)
3)   Atlantis PBeM (even though there are only 3 games running worldwide)
4)   Victoria ( > HoI )
5)   UFO Series (old and new)
6)   Master of Orion (1, 2 and even 3!) + Space Empires (IV > V)
7)   Alien Legacy (UI sucks, but so does DF's)
8)   Transport Tycoon Deluxe (as OpenTTD)
9)   Half-LifeČ (pretty much the only shooter I like besides System Shock 2)
10) Avernum series

Runner ups:
- Battle of Wesnoth
- Kaiser II (if it'd run on a x64 system)
- SimCity
- [Edna bricht aus] (german adventure game)

- Edit: How could I forget Battlezone II and WarCraft III!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:04:17 pm by Javewa »

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2008, 12:36:35 pm »

Neat to see so many of my favorites on other people's lists.  Makes me somewhat interested in the games I see that I have played.

Basing mine on level of obsession, the amount of fun I've had, and the amount of time I've wasted playing them (computer games only):

1. Baldur's Gate I & II + expansions (A great game series.  Toss in Planescape: Torment and the Icewind Dale games also, I guess)
2. Europa Universalis (II especially, and related games like Victoria and Crusader Kings)
3. Master of Magic (I almost failed a semester of university because of this game)
4. Civilization & Co. (Alpha Centauri  in particular)
5. Star Control II (I was okay for its time, and III stunk, II was something special, imo)
6. X-Com (UFO: Enemy Unknown)
7. Ultima VII  (Started playing this series with VI, stopped with VIII.  Probably wouldn't be appealing to me now, but at the time...)
8. Sim City II (The version that I played the most.  Another game that I would probably find boring now.)
9. Master of Orion (I & II were great, II was terrible.  I almost forgot this one.)
10. Pirates!  (Really a bunch of games could go here: oldies like the Gold Box AD&D games, or flawed games with neat ideas like Lords of the Realm, and others.  I'm a bit sentimental about Pirates! though, and thought it should make the list.)

EDIT: Doh!  And DF too of course, but I think it has a bit to go before I put it on an all time favorites list. I just haven't played it enough, but I am getting obsessed. :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 12:43:24 pm by Blucher »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2008, 01:23:56 pm »

If I wasn't too lazy to make an account to vote I would have voted something like the list below (not sure about order).

Dwarf Fortress
Star Control 2 (remake: The Ur-Quan Masters)
Total Annihilation (remake: Spring)
Transport Tycoon (remake: OpenTTD)
Deus Ex
Baldurs Gate
GTA
Master of Orion 2
X-Wing
Dune

Close runner-ups:
Dune 2
X-COM
Colonization