Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: /V/ Succession Game!  (Read 17404 times)

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: /V/ Succession Game!
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2007, 11:33:00 am »

Personal Journal
14th Slate, 1053, Mid-Spring

Things have been going smoothly the last weeks. Nothing bad happened, and in my book that's good enough. On top of that, harvesting of the first plants is well underway, and I expect out still to be running at full capacity again soon. I wish I could have a drink on this joyous occasion, but our booze supply has run out days ago. Have I ever mentioned how much I hate drinking water?

The real reason for this entry, however, is the arrival of a huge group of new immigrants. Why they want to live here is a complete mystery to me, but I'm not too inclined to ask. We can, after all, always use a few extra hands.

Along witht the immigrants came a manager and a sheriff. The manager will certainly be of use when it comes to, well, managing stuff, but I don't honestly see what use a sheriff is. We haven't had any problems with any criminal activity that our army couldn't handle. Besides, Sheriffs are a real pain in the arse if you ask me. In the past I've spent more than the occasional night in a jail cell for no reason at all. In fact, that was part of the reason I joined this expedition in the first place! Still, I can't refuse access to him without pissing off some of the more important nobles back at home (note that "home" is NOT this bloody hellhole of a fortress). And if nothing else, the Sheriff's axe will prove a valuable weapon against the aggressive wildlife here.

[ September 23, 2007: Message edited by: Aargh ]

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2007, 03:05:00 pm »

Personal Journal
27th Slate, 1053, Mid-Spring

When she was on her way to work today, crafter Cog Limullokum was suddenly struck by madness. She gathered some material, including a turtle shell and a cut gem, and locked herself away in her workshop. I cannot help but wonder what will come of this, but somehow I doubt it will be anything of real use.

Today a second death happened outside. Sobol Tobullimâr, a skilled hunter, met his doom when he was caught between three angry Ogres and the outside river. He managed to seriously injure one of the Ogres, but their combined might was too much for poor Sobol. Reports state that Sobol's was found even on the opposite bank of the river, and that his dead body was swept away by the raging waters.

After that horrible news I needed a couple of hard drinks to calm down. And after that I had a couple of extra drinks in Sobol's memory. Luckily, the still has been slowly but surely replenishing our supply of booze. After I had properly honoured Sobol's memory by nearly drowning myself in alcohol I immediately declared the outside world off limits. I'll allow Dwarves to take their breaks just outside the gate if they desire, but all hunting, trapping, fishin and other outside activities are hereby forbidden. The outside is no place for a Dwarf, anyway.

In addition, I've started planning a more formidable defense for our main gate. I haven't got anything concrete yet, but I'm determined to keep any and all oustide horrors where they belong; outside.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2007, 03:12:00 pm »

Personal Journal
6th Felsite, 1053, Late Spring

Cog has emerged from her workshop and has created Irtirzikel (or "Danglefierce"), a turtle-shell helmet. While she apparently has no memory of making it, and thus hasn't learned anything from it's creation, the artifact will certainly inspire the entire fortress with it's magnificent craftsdwarfship. This calls for a drink!

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 24, 2007, 05:43:00 am »

Personal Journal
4th Malachite, 1053, Mid-summer

The weather outside is murderous. To escape the heat I've been leading my team of miners deeper into the mountain, because it's the only place the heat doesn't penetrate. Much to my joy, our work proved to be good for more than just our own comfort; I've struck a gold vein! We'll begin mining the precious metal immediately.

Other than that, the last month has been very quiet. The biggest problem I've had to deal with was a rotting cave spider in our main corridor. I've assigned two more Dwarves to hauling duty to prevent such things in the future. Our supplies are plentiful (though we could stand to do with more booze, to tell the truth), and the fortress is advancing slowly but steadily on all fronts.

Spending the last weeks deep underground has even improved my own opinions about the fortress. With enough hard work, it could actually become a pleasant place to live! Everything that's bad about the fortress is on the outside; Ogres, Harpies, wild animals (we've got lions AND tigers here!) and of course the heat. Luckily we've become quite independant from the outside world, so there's hardly ever any need to go there.

Nekose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2007, 12:14:00 am »

Awsome work!

Any time someone gets killed, just send my ol' hit squad on their arse. That'll learn em.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2007, 05:38:00 am »

Don't worry; your squad is seeing action. Every once in a while an ogre or harpy strays too close to the main gate and usually I don't even notice it until I see some blood and bones lying there. Your crossbowdwarves are doing an excellent job killing stuff before it hurts anyone. =) And now that I've disabled all huning jobs (didn't really need them anyway) the fortress is as safe as needs be... and it's going to get even safer soon.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2007, 07:41:00 am »

Personal Journal
26th Sandstone, 1053, Mid-Autumn

The last weeks have been pretty uneventful again. Two large projects (our new defense and the large road for the human traders) are slowly nearing completion. Once finished, they will certainly add to the greatness of our fortress.

And it seems I'm not the only one who thinks Axefather is heading in the right direction. Another group of immigrants has arrived today. This one is smaller than the last, but better armed: Three competent marksdwarves traveled with them. They will be a welcome addition to out small but powerful army.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2007, 08:16:00 am »

Personal Journal
21st Timber, 1053, Late-Autumn

As winter approaches, our defense project is finally completed. A moat now protects the area surrounding our main entrance, and two mighty catapults stand guard at either side of the gate. With our army of crossbowdwarves now regularly patrolling along the entire access road, I'm confident that wildlife accidents are now a thing of the past. Unless someone gets stupid that is, but we have little use for stupid dwarves here, anyway.

To celebrate the completion of this project, I've organised a party at the statue garden. Ever since we got that second still up and running we've had plenty of alcohol, so the party is a guaranteed success!

[ September 25, 2007: Message edited by: Aargh ]

Nekose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2007, 12:35:00 pm »

ooooh, nice.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2007, 07:22:00 am »

Personal Journal
16th Moonstone, 1053, Early Winter

A sneaky Kobold thief tried to sneak into the fortress today, undoubtedly intending to steal whatever valuables it could get it's hands on. Fortunately, a patrol lead by our former leader Nekose found it before it could even enter the fortress and turned it into a pincushion before it could cause any harm.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2007, 08:30:00 am »

Personal Journal
8th Obsidian, 1053, Late Winter

As the year slowly nears it's end, our clothesmaker, Bomrek Guzurist, suddenly went mad with inspiration. She claimed a leather workshop and has gathered many different strips of leather and cloth before locking herself in and working feverishly on her new creation. I'm not sure what she's making, but I've got a suspicion she'll soon be the best dressed Dwarf in the fortress!

In the mean time, our patrols have proven to be extremely efficient. Ogres have repeatedly tried to attack the Dwarves working on the trade road, but none of them have managed to do any damage before being brought down by a hail of bolts.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2007, 08:39:00 am »

Personal Journal
14th Obsidian, 1053, Late Winter

Bomrek has completed her masterpiece; it's a boot. One boot. Yes, it's an exceptionally pretty boot, but still... Couldn't she have made two? I can only imagine how it must be wearing a boot like that, knowing you'll never find boot for your other foot that doesn't look ugly in comparison, or that fits as nicely as this masterwork.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2007, 09:41:00 am »

Personal Journal
1st Granite, 1054, Early Spring

The year is over. I'm no longer the leader of Axefather. It feels strange admitting it, but I enjoyed this job. Under my leadership Axefather has become a more pleasant place as well as a safer place to live in. It's a shame that the trade road didn't get finished before the end of my rule, but I'm sure my successor will know what to do with it. Axefather may not be the stuff of legends yet, but I've got the feeling that we are headed in that direction eventually.

My last act as a ruler has been to assign myself a comfortable place to live. There's no reason a (former) leader couldn't be offered the same benefits those nobles get, is there? Certainly not since I've done far more real work than they'll ever do.

=================

Well, that's it for my turn then! I've enjoyed this game. In the beginning it was a bit of a change adapting to the building styles of those before me, but that didn't take long. Most of what I've done is just an extension of the work Koji and Nekose have done; I've expanded stockpiles, living space, and the mining project, and have done a bunch of streamlining.

If I'm not mistaken, Kjoery is next. My advice on how to proceed would be to finish the trade road first of all. You don't really need the trade, but it's never a bad thing. You may also want to add one or two farming plots, so you can grow more crops and grow different ones at the same time. The fortress is more or less completely self-sufficient at the moment, so unless something unexpected happens you're pretty much entirely free on what to do.

I'll upload the save file later today.

[ September 26, 2007: Message edited by: Aargh ]

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2007, 12:51:00 pm »

Here it is: http://rapidshare.com/files/58433600/save.rar.html

I've included a map with notes about what areas are where and what the different switches are linked to.

Nekose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2007, 08:27:00 pm »

Awsome!

If anyone is intersted, work has started on the wiki page:
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Axefather  (thanks for the help Savok, your wiki powers are strong.)

Once it's done, the names at the bottom of the page will direct to their logs. Feel free to edit your logs in if you have the time.

[ September 27, 2007: Message edited by: Nekose ]

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15