Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: /V/ Succession Game!  (Read 17390 times)

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: /V/ Succession Game!
« Reply #180 on: October 29, 2007, 04:10:00 am »

Great job!  :D

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 29, 2007, 07:53:00 am »

Reading through that last chapter in the cold light of day, I've spotted about a dozen mistakes. Never write when you are tired, it rarely finishes well.

Thanks for the help guys, its been a blast writing it, and I've had great fun with the characters, its just a shame I had to rush the ending. I had great plans too  :(

Nekose, I was getting rather fustrated by it, and spent a good two months solidly working this way and that for it. Eventually, I spied the stuff ridiculously far to the south, next to the magma.  I've had stuff further away before, but I've never been in a rush for it either.

Anyway, good luck THe Prince!

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 04, 2007, 11:14:00 am »

Eh... anything happening?

Flamester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 05, 2007, 02:18:00 am »

Well is been a week since it was The Princes turn, and no sign. I suppose not.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 05, 2007, 02:38:00 am »

Bleh. And since the Axefather wiki page has been deleted for some reason, I don't even know who's next... Nekose, you there?

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 05, 2007, 04:50:00 pm »

Not sure where Nekose is, but the Axefather page is now at the archive, and it looks like Khâzakar or Fedor is next.
Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 06, 2007, 02:48:00 am »

Ah yes, thank you.

Well, Khâzakar, if you're here to read this, feel free to take control of the fortress.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 09, 2007, 03:42:00 am »

Ehh... Anyone?  :confused:

Let's have a little roll call. Who's still here, apart from myself?

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 09, 2007, 09:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aargh:
<STRONG>Ehh... Anyone?   :confused:

Let's have a little roll call. Who's still here, apart from myself?</STRONG>

Ping?  Pong!
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2007, 05:58:00 am »

A whole week and only one reply. Well, I can't say I didn't predict this several pages ago, but still...

Fedor, if you want to continue you can take a turn now. Maybe we could try posting on /v/ to get some fresh blood in.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 17, 2007, 06:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Aargh:
<STRONG>A whole week and only one reply. Well, I can't say I didn't predict this several pages ago, but still...

Fedor, if you want to continue you can take a turn now. Maybe we could try posting on /v/ to get some fresh blood in.</STRONG>

I'm only going to have enough play time after the Thanksgiving holidays, which means it'll be nearly the end of the month before I start posting.

If another player does have time he should feel free to play a year now.

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 26, 2007, 11:23:00 am »

Righto - I'm looking at the fort now.  Sorry for the (unavoidable) delay.

Rictus has set a high standard for the writing end; I can't promise anything equivalent but I aim to amuse readers at least.

The big question is about the gameplay.  I essentially have two choices:
1.  Carry on with development using the current layout with only minor tweaks.  

The advantages here include continuity with previous efforts and no lost restructuring time.  One disadvantage is that there's no way in Armok's sweet creation that this fortress is EVER going to be good at metalworking or glassmaking - path lengths to the magma are just insane.  A second disadvantage is that the nightmarish lack of security against floods and chasm dwellers can't be fixed except by heroic measures.

2.  Shift operations deeper into the mountain, mothballing most of the fortress between the river and the surface. Use rewalling as necessary to permit use of the catacomb space?

Problems with this include neglecting some really nice work done by others and a whole lot of "re-inventing the wheel" in order to set up living and eating areas closer to the magma.  Advantages, especially with re-walling, are far better long-term fortress prospects.

Question for all previous leaders and all readers who've looked at Rictus' save:  Should I carry on with the current layout or shift operations?  May I use rewalling or should this be forbidden?  

Vote early; I'm already mapping out plans!

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 27, 2007, 12:12:00 pm »

I say go with the rewalling, and the majority of the catacombs was my fault.  When it was zoomed out, i thought it looked quite cool.  I'll also put my hand up for some of the more advanced screw ups in terms of planning.  

I play most games like an RPGer, I rarely think about the most efficient way to run a fortress (or town, or civilisation, etc). It means I generally suck, but I suck realistically.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 29, 2007, 07:20:00 pm »

Call me Ebe Cragirons; my name is all my patrimony.

Years ago, I founded a place called Palath-halir.  Then one day the dragon came.  Dwarves died, our mountainhame fell, we remnants sought refuge.  I came to Axefather broken in spirit and withered in body, never again to wield pick, just another useless newcomer among too many useless newcomers.  It took long for me to rediscover joy - and it was, of all things, dirt under my fingernails in the plump helmet fields that made me laugh again.  I grew to love Axefather too.

And then, one day, leader Rictus took me aside.

"Ebe.  I've been bossing this place for a year now - I can't take it any more.  I need to grip an honest axe between my hands and do real work in open air and sunshine.  This place is driving me mad!  Mad!  The Catatombs!  The politicing!  The endless "to-dos", the demands, the dwarves crying out for food and drink!"

<<Rictus>>

"Ebe, I've heard of how Palath-halir was "fair-begun".  Well, we need a new beginnng here.  I want you to do what you have already done - one more time, for us."

"Rictus, Palath-halir was another lifetime. ..."

"Ebe, I'm thirsty.  We're all getting thirsty."

"Well, maybe this old broad's got some milk left in her."

====================

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 29, 2007, 07:22:00 pm »

The two walk into Rictus' office, talking of this and that.  Ebe turns to business at her companion's desk.

"Tell me what's been going on, please."

"The best way for me to do that is simply to show you my private chronicle."

<<Ebe reads>>

"That was beautiful.  Rictus, you've a wonderful way of writing - which is more than I can claim or ever could."

Ebe grins suddenly:  "I can tell you one thing for sure:  Anyone who reads the story of Axefather will curse the day you handed over!"

<<both laugh>>

Ebe then turns grave.  With a jab of her finger at Rictus, she begins:  "Rictus, I DO need to have some more questions answered.  You're not responsible for most of what I've been worried about living in this fort, but you're Dwarf-on-the-spot and your journal - or even your much-appreciated visual map - doesn't tell me what to do about a great many things."

Ebe builds up a head of steam:  "Festering tattoos of the Goblin-King, where to begin?"

"We need to eat and drink, right now."

"We need to stop the idling and partying."

"We need to stop hauling useless things to useless places."

"We need to stop getting surprised by floods, and that wide-open chasm spells "dead dwarves" in any language."

"And we need to stop walking about so bloody much if this fortress is ever to amount to anything!"

Rictus frowns:  "Ebe, I don't disagree.  But you'll find there's nothing wrong with our community that cannot be fixed with the help of what's already been done right.  We have:"

"A fine military."

"A very small number of deaths, given the perils the fortress founders beat off."

"Iron.  Wood.  A trade road at last!  Workshops for durn near everything, experienced craftsdwarves in many trades, and a huge stockpile of hidden treasures.  We CAN be great!  We OUGHT to be great!  We WILL be great, and you need to help make that happen!"

Both clasp forearms.  Rictus bows, grins, and with a final scornful look at the paperwork in the musty office now no longer his, walks out into the corridor, headed for the entrance, the sunshine, and the nearest tree.  His parting words are few:"

"O my darling axe, how I've missed you so..."
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 09:21:04 am by Fedor »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15