Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: /V/ Succession Game!  (Read 17395 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: /V/ Succession Game!
« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2007, 03:30:00 pm »

Where does all these great stories popping up like an epidemic fungus come from? Inspiration?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 21, 2007, 08:02:00 pm »

On a side note, someone seems to have killed 4chan. On caturday no less  :( Oh well, ill miss the cat pictures but lets continue regardless.

Good stuff so far, the number of dooms approaching on the horizon is ever increasing however.

Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Nekose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 21, 2007, 09:57:00 pm »

Buahahha, that makes me insanely happy.

Thanks for taking the initiative Rictus, I was afraid axefather was doomed forever.

[ October 21, 2007: Message edited by: Nekose ]

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2007, 06:08:00 am »

Chapter 3: Inkompeetents

Rictus swore colourfully to herself.  It was the twelth day of her tenure and things had been either boring or frantic.  Today was shaping up to be frantic one.  A peasant hauler had sent a report that suggested the cave river was going to flood.  The water levels were high, and the wildlife had retreated from the cleared area.  That was fine, except there about a dozen dwarves passing through or working in the tree farm area at any given point.  To add to that, there had been a problem with the floodgate system, which had delayed farming for over a week.  It had been sorted now, and the farmers were busily trying to make up for lost time, but food was already in short supply. The delay could be fatal.
Rictus called for the sheriff, who had acted as an efficient fortress crier so far.  She was still in Aargh’s beer sodden office, while hers was being excavated.  It was proceeding quickly, she had to admit, but it would still take the best part of another week yet.

Apart from the life threatening food shortage, things were ticking over rather well.  She had authorised a small expansion to the workshop area, and continued expansion of the Catacombs in an attempt to locate hematite, as well as making minor changes to the Habitat.  It was functional, basic stuff that anyone could do, and Rictus thought she might go insane from the tedium.

“For Armoks sake, I miss going outside” she muttered, just as the sheriff, Mafol Violentwhips burst in.  The sheriff was a likeable soul. He was foul tempered, short (for a dwarf) and his beard was particularly bushy. He was also one of the few nobles who ever did any real work, but because Axefather was still small, there was little for him to do, which meant he was also bored.  

Today, however, he was even more foul tempered than usual. “Rictus you lazy hunk of mule crap! The river is flooding!”

She felt her jaw dropping open. “Already?”

“Oh no, I just felt like bursting in here and announcing something that was going to happen next week.  Of course it is you useless piece of goblin vomit!” The sheriff liked Rictus.

“Have you cleared everyone out?”

“Have I…Goodness me, why don’t I just announce to the rest of the Fortress your wise and sage counsel, o mighty scholar. Such an inspired thought would never occur to so humble and mortal a person of mere regular thinking like myself. The river has flooded, numbskull.  People are either already clear, or are currently swimming for their lives.”

“Is everyone okay?”

“Do you ever consider what you are going to say before you say it? It would save me a lot of time, while I answer your half baked questions.  Tell me, do you dress yourself in the mornings? I’m sure that would be beyond you. The people who are clear are fine. Those who are not are in world of difficulty.”

“Lets go help them out.”

“First sensible thing you’ve said so far.”

They arrived shortly, although the sheriff felt the need to stop and berate an Engraver for not having a suitably dwarvish beard, which delayed them somewhat.  Fortunately, the flood had been restricted to the tree farm and a few low-lying adjacent corridors, however, almost a dozen dwarfs had still been caught up, and three had been swept into the river. Their plaintive cries reached the small crowd that assembled at the edge of the muddy water.

Annoyingly, people kept looking at Rictus, as if she could provide answers.  Like almost all dwarves, however, she was hopeless at swimming. “They’re going to drown” she said sadly, the water was still rising, but slowly. The sheriff snorted in disgust.

“Another acute assessment of our situation.  One that I’m sure would have totally bypassed us lower-order individuals if you hadn’t been here to enlighten us.” He waded into the water.  “If you want to be useful for once in your miserable rat-spawned lives, go get me some of that infernal cloth that we are constantly making.” He didn’t wait, but instead carried on ploughing through the now waist high water. Rictus nodded assent, and three dwarves sprinted off into the darkness. The sheriff, now up to his naval in the filthy water, rounded a corner, still spitting expletives and insulting anyone and anything that came to mind.  There was nothing left to do now, Rictus could only wait and see what happened.

Gradually, the water stopped rising, and eventually it even began to drop. There was still no sign of the sheriff, however, as they moved forward, keeping pace with the dropping water.  

“He’s been gone for hours” somebody voiced what everyone had been thinking

They kept going, almost resigned to finding Violentwhips watery corpse, eventually they came to the tree farm, pushing up the double silt-laden doors.  

“You took your bloody time!” Greeted them, as they entered, along with a barrage of curses.  “And where’s that poxy rope!” He was treading water, his face red and covered in sweat (or maybe just water?) One of the dwarves threw a long length of rope towards the paddling law enforcer, who caught it awkwardly, and began winding it around something he was carrying. “Pull!” he cried eventually “and be quicker about it than you were getting here.” The rescuers heaved on the rope, eventually pulling it up and onto dry ground as the sheriff followed more slowly.  The package turned out to be Ubid Cagesteel, a jeweller who had been helping out with seed gathering. She was alive, but barely.
Violentwhips lifted another body out of the filthy water and dumped it unceremoniously onto the dry bank that marked the edge of the tree farm.  “I didn’t get there in time for him” he indicated the body of the miner who had been passing through the area on his break.  The sheriff climbed onto the bank and wrung his beard dry.  “Damnable shame.”

Chapter 4: A Difference of Opinion

It turned out there were two deaths from that flood.  Ubid had managed to escape a similar fate only through sheer chance, but a fisherdwarf had had no such luck. His body was never recovered.  The fortress was sombre for a few weeks afterwards, broken only by the dual funeral where everyone got roaringly drunk.  But dwarves, by their nature, are stubborn creatures, and they soon got over the deaths.  Instead, the next piece of excitement came less than a week after the flood.

Rictus had been laying out plans for the road that would connect Axefather to the rest of civilisation, in her brand new office, complete with all the modern luxuries a Dear Leader needs, although the engravers hadn’t quite finished and were still smoothing the rough rocky wall, Rictus was very happy nonetheless. Progress on the road had been slow to date, and she was determined that this would be finished in her tenure, which was why when a dusty-looking Aargh came to her office she was keen to welcome, water and wring him of news.

“How goes the road?” she said, pouring him a generous helping of Plump helmet ale, he accepted it happily.

“Not good.  Warthogs keep interrupting us. We’ve done less than a days work in just over two weeks.”

“Is that all? Goodness. How long will it take at this rate?”

He gulped down the ale, and wiped the froth from his beard, “at this rate we’re looking at three years, I reckon.”

“Three years!...What should I do?”

Aargh made a show of looking into his oversized stein before eventually answering “I reckon redeploy the Tactical Assault Response Team there.  They should be able to cover us sufficiently.”

“Okay, I’ll do that right away.  I’ll draw up the orders for the T.A.R…Are you sure it is called the Tactical Assault Response Team?”

“Yes, I am. Why?”

“Well…that spells T.A.R.T. We can’t call our military T.A.R.T. The other races will laugh at us.” Rictus furrowed her brow.

“Good point. Hmmm…How about Fortress Assault Response Team?”

“That’s F.A.R.T.! That’s even worse!”

“Military Overwatch…Response Officer…Network. No, that doesn’t work either.”

“Investigative Security Military Encounter Local Legion?”

“I.S.M.E.L.L…I can’t see anything wrong there. Lets go with that then.”

“Excellent,” said Rictus happily, “that’s settled.  I’ll redeploy the I.S.M.E.L.L. to help you out tomorrow.”

The Prince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 22, 2007, 01:26:00 pm »

I'm already thinking about all the fun writing I'll get to do in my turn utilizing some of the excellent characters you've laid out.  Keep up the great work!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2007, 02:50:00 pm »

1. That sheriff is a bloody damn good dwarf, bloody damn good.
Should be made the next leader, methinks.

2. You make wine of shrooms, not ale, if that wasn't a writing error you should get a new brewer.

3. That last par made me laught out so loud I probobly woke up the entire house.   :D ISMEL, MORON, ROTFL!

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »

Armok a, I blame the weather myself. This inspiration lark ain't natural.

Tamren, I noticed that too, and its been playing up most of today as well. For shame, I've had to hang around on the hellhole that is 7chan instead.

Nekose, no problem. I've been itching to take my turn and it couldn't have come at a better point really.

The Prince, you should see The Mayor coming up in the next installment  :)

Armok b, 1. I love characters like the sheriff.  He's a sort of blend of The Inspector out of Incompetence (by Robert Grant) and Dr. Cox from Scrubs. As for next leader, well, that's up to the next person.
2. My mistake. Although the point was to have Aargh drinking a different kind of alchohol in ever scene, whether or not it was actually present in the Fortress at the time.
3. Glad you liked it! I had a hell of time coming up with workable acronyms for it :P

Next installment coming up.

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2007, 05:03:00 pm »

Chapter 5: The Mayor of Axefather

Fortress life was proceeding apace. The harvesting was coming along, and, alongside some heavily bartered elvish food, meant that the fortress would not starve or resort to eating bugs or each other. Minor adjustments were taking place here and there, and plans to expand the Catacombs in a search for minerals was taking place at a steady pace.  The military had temporarily cleared out the roadside network, and work was progressing smoothly.  
A molten fissure that led to the very heart of the world was struck on the 12th of Slate, and joyous dwarves basked in its radiance and heat, before briefly glimpsing some kind of fiery demon and deciding magma wasn’t all that great and sealed it away behind a locked door. However, the search for hematite went on.

Rictus was settling in now, and enjoying having things run her way. She had big plans ahead, and was actually looking forward to the prospect of being able to put them into place. She leaned back into her throne and sighed happily.  Her brief reverie was broken by the three councillors sheepishly knocking on her door.  She beckoned them in, determined not to let their downbeat expressions worry her.

“We have a problem” Nekose said, grimacing.

“What? Come on, we can deal with it.”

“Migrants” Koji said. “Thirty of them.”

“Thirty! By Armoks holy beard, we can’t handle thirty migrants! Where will they stay?”

“That’s not the only problem. They have a mayor with them.”

The quartet hurried to the fortress, passing by bemused or amused dwarves as they went.  They took the shortest route from the office, meaning they passed through the increasingly filthy tree farm, covered now in shin-deep mud, and the assorted detritus of both dwarven life and twice yearly floods. Anxious and out of breath, the councillors assembled at the thin line of fortifications that marked the separation between the internal territory of Axefather and the harsh wilderness of the outside.  The gate itself was purely abstract. They had no door and so nature and the elements were constantly trying to encroach on the orderly environs of the fortress.  For now though, that was secondary in their minds.  Instead, stretched out over the plains and forest that surrounded Axefather the councillors could make out a huge long line of migrants with determined but weary expressions on their faces, some hauled bags of possessions, some clutched just the tools of their chosen professions, some carried nothing at all except hope and expectations.  All had their hearts and minds set on making a new life and perhaps even fame and fortune at Axefather.  

The closest migrants were still some distance from the fortress, but even from there watching those exhausted travellers haul themselves over the last few aching sulungs brought back powerful memories of their own journeys to found Axefather all those years ago.  They had been a band of twelve optimistic youngsters, who had listened patiently to the elders and planners back home in Abalthidasdastot and then patently ignored it all in favour of their own, much less experienced counsel.  That foolhardiness had resulted in five of their party being killed or lost en route, but the seven survivors had struggled on, and perhaps even thrived. Rictus wondered idly how many hopefuls from this group had been lost either by neglect or misfortune on their way here.

“We will need to expand the Habitat” Koji remarked solemnly

“Bed and door production shall have to be increased,” agreed Nekose

“Alcohol will be an issue, unfortunately.” Aargh said, sipping a cup of wine

“And food. Hopefully they have some of their own.” Rictus offered, though she knew it was not likely. Popular theory had it that outposts such as theirs was teeming with food and drink, adventure and excitement.  Sometimes it was true, but usually it wasn’t, and so migrants rarely brought more food than was strictly necessary to enable them to survive the journey, which placed an even larger burden on their new chosen home.

They watched as the stragglers inched their way forwards.  Rictus could see most of them now, and could tell usually from their appearance, build, clothing and expressions what sort of jobs they were good at.  

“Lots of masons” she said, “more than we need.” The first of the migrants was soon in hailing distance, and the small party of councillors waved half-heartedly at them as their stumbled down the still uncompleted road. “Koji, assign the first dozen to existing rooms. The rest will have to make do in the barracks and whatever space they can find.”

“They won’t like it.” He said, unhappily

“I know.  But there is nothing else we can do.  Aargh, can you zone some additional rooms in the Habitat for the rest. Cancel all other expansion work for the time being.” She indicated the approaching horde with a wave of one ink-smeared hand. “This takes priority for now. Nekose, collar the first two carpenters and masons that head through this gate.  They’re going to be making beds and doors from now until Armok returns in person.”  By now the migrants had attracted quite a crowd of dwarves who were off duty or simply idling.  These slackers were instructed to help accommodate the new-comers as they filtered in.  Things were going well, and Rictus was just about to start wondering whether this might not be such a crisis after all when an enormous purple-livered dwarf with a face that nearly matched his tunic stormed up to her.

“Who is in charge here?” he bellowed, a vein throbbing in his temple

“That would be me. And you are?” Rictus asked, as politely as possible for someone covering her in dust and spittle

“I’m the one that’ll be running this pathetic hole from now on. I’m Mayor Zon Melbilzokun, and our superiors from The Pale Sword have placed me in charge.” He held up a piece of yellowing parchment that did, indeed, place the running of Axefather in this corpulent windbag’s pudgy hands. Rictus felt her heart race and her own temper rise.

“I don’t think that is going to happen Tomeseiges. You cannot just turn up here and take over. We’ve worked hard over these last four years to ensure we survive out here, without even the hint of help from The Pale Sword, and now some yes-dwarf just turns up out of the blue and takes over? I think not.”

“You don’t have to think, peasant. You just have to do.” He had the gall to smile: a leery affair of broken and yellowing teeth. “And I would suggest you do not argue further, or I’ll have the Sheriff arrest you.” He was gleeful now, gloating in Rictus’s misfortune.

“I’ll show you to your office.”

Chapter 6: Contractual Difficulties

The mayor turned out to be about as popular as miasma in the fortress.  He stopped construction on the expanded Habitat, leaving most of the still unhoused migrants with no prospect of their own rooms, and instead ordered an opulent set of rooms for himself, the Broker and the other nobility that had arrived with him.  The elves who had been staying at the Fortress had been told in no uncertain terms to crawl back into the stinking, unnatural forests where they belonged and to take their filthy, foul foods with them.  They needed no second telling and left two days after the Mayor arrived. Those who had been left hungry and homeless by the abrupt about-turn in construction quickly became disruptive, and the Sheriff and two new fortress guards had their hands busy dealing with theft, brawling and sedition.

Construction proceeded quickly on the Mayors offices, but as if that wasn’t enough, within a fortnight of arriving, he suddenly demanded from a bemused masonry two fine goblets.  Rictus and the rest of the councillors presented him with a couple of old ones they found in the depths of the stockpile.  He didn’t seem to notice.  Only when a grand set of living, eating and working areas where constructed and smoothed over did the Mayor allow Habitat construction to continue, and even then grudgingly.  

He’d heard there was gold in the mountain, and he wanted it.

“He’s a nightmare.” Koji said bitterly, as the now-obsolete councillors assembled in Rictus’s office that had thankfully been deemed too small for usage by the Mayor.

“He’s a meter around the waste at least” Rictus spat

“And getting bigger. Did you know he finished off the strawberries?”

“Armok-damned hypocrite, he’ll kill us all.”

The sheriff let himself into the office.  He despised the Mayor too, along with almost everyone else in the Fortress, but he was professional (and enthusiastic) in his job. Which meant no sedition when he was around. “Well, well, such an assembly of great minds can only mean one thing: you geniuses are moaning about something.  Let me see, have you got your goat-leather thongs too far up your hiney? No, your mother dressed you today and as incompetent as she is at raising you, she has shown some talent at matching limbs to correct clothing.  No, it must be the putrid sack of fetid Man cheese that currently controls the Fortress, and for once I don’t mean your useless, petulant self, Rictus.”

“What do you want Violentwhips? Can’t you see we’re busy?”

“Oh, yes, can I play tic-tac-toe too? I want to be with the cool kids.” He mocked. He was relentless sometimes. “Unlike you four, I actually have something that needs to be done, but I cannot, because Dometeases-” the Sheriff liked to twist peoples names “- has ordered that all available hands start shifting gold and gems to his personal stockpile. Fortunately for you useless individuals, I’ve got a way of making it so that Zonny will never bother us again, and I can get back to doing my actual job.” He threw down the piece of parchment that the Mayor had used to wrestle control of the fortress when he first arrived.

By Order of the Pale Sword, this notice hereby grants the bearer, one Zon Melbilzokun complete control over the foreign policy of Libashurem. This jurisdiction includes military provision, control of stock piling, creation of wealth, analysis and leadership of bi-annual reporting to The Pale Sword, and all associated ministries and duties associated with the provision of reports and foreign policy.
The inhabitants of Libashurem (the Fortress) are to provide all assistance as needed to Melbilzokun as he conducts these tasks. Any inhabitants of the Fortress who fail in this task are to be detained and subjected to a minimum of three hammerings, or more if  the Mayor deems it necessary to the continuation of his aforementioned duties.
Signed and declared by all Thirty Three of the High Judges of The Pale Sword,
Urist Paleswords

The four councillors looked at the parchment. They read it, read it again and looked up at the Sheriff, who was scowling at them. “So?” Rictus said eventually.

“Armok preserve me!” He fumed, jabbing the parchment, “it’s a wonder you four have survived this long.  Why don’t you practice some of your fabled leadership skills and actually read this damn thing.  At no point does it say he is in control of the whole workings of the Fortress, only the foreign policy – which is so simple even you four might be able to grasp it, if I break it down into small enough words.  His main duty according to that is sending two reports a year home. I could be out there doing my real job now if you nitwits had bothered to read this in the first place. Therefore, I nominate Rictus, that living deity of wit and intelligence to break the news to the purple fat ass.”

“Why can’t you do it?”

“Because tiny, tiny brain, I have no reason to go snooping around his room looking for his authorisation papers. You, as a – Armok preserve us all – former leader have the moral and legal right to question his orders. I just want to be there to see the expression on his face.”

Suitably steeled against the wrath of Tomeseiges, Rictus confronted the mayor backed up by the other councillors and the Sheriff.  Knocking on the elaborately decorated door (naturally sequestered from another, bemused dwarf), Rictus could almost hear the spittle being expelled as the Mayor waddled up to the entrance and loomed over the small group.

“By Armoks heavenly scrotum, what do you miserable wretches want? More goblets?” He was already turning purple in rage.

“Mayor Tomeseiges, it has come to our attention that your remit does not extend to bullying and destroying everyone and everything we have fought to build over these last few years.  Your orders, as we understand them include foreign policy and reporting only. The day to day running of the fortress is outside your jurisdiction-”

“Is that so!  Let me tell you, children, that my orders quite clearly state I am in total control.  Sheriff, arrest these disrespectful hoodlums.” Sweat beaded on his forehead, while veins began to pop out

“Actually, Mayor, I think they are right. Difficult as that is to believe.”

“Heresy! Rebellion! Traitors!  The Pale Swords shall hear of this!  I am in total control, as vested in me by the Grand Judges-”

“Actually, no.” Nekose cut in. He read the proclamation aloud, holding the parchment at arms length, like it might go up in flames at any moment. It was a shame that the noble quarters had been established in such a quiet section of the fortress: Rictus would have liked a much larger audience. When Nekose finished, he lowered the paper and returned the Mayors glare. “At no point does it declare you as full leader.”

“That…that has been tampered with.” The now-purple mayor said, weakly. “I shall write to The Pale Swords immediately, and demand that you all be executed as traitors and goblinophiles.”

“You’ll do no such thing” Rictus said, baring the door so that it could not be closed, “we all know that that has not been touched.  You also know that if the judges find out what has been happening here, that you deliberately abused your power, you’ll be the one that is executed.”

Aargh drained his stein and took a deep breath, “Therefore, what we propose is thus: we will provide you with a life of luxury and opulence.  You will write to The Pale Swords and say everything is going smoothly, and there is no need to worry. The fort is expanding, or whatever it is you say. You pass on mandates to us, and we shall do our best to see they are carried out, but you will have no further say in the running of this fortress.  Do we have a deal?”

“I could still write and request great-”

“Do. We. Have. A. Deal?” he repeated

There was a longer pause.

“Yes.” He said finally, and Rictus let the door close. The councillors clapped their hands and grinned at each other.

Axefather was theirs again.

Thanks again for your support gang, I've got the next chapter written up already, but I'll stick with current tradition and post two at a time.  Hopefully I should be able to manage with just the 10 chapters, so my turn should be over by wednesday, notwithstanding any RL issues that come up.

[ October 22, 2007: Message edited by: Rictus ]

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 23, 2007, 05:09:00 am »

Chapter 7: Oh The Humanity

Rictus chewed absentmindedly on the end of a rat bone quill and pondered the last two months.  Since the Mayor had been overthrown (as popular myth had it) the Fortress had come about as close to normal as it was ever going to get. The new nobility had their quarters refurbished and engraved, the migrants had been housed and the road was gradually being extended under the watchful vigilance of the Fortress military.  Food was now beginning to pile up in the coffers, which handily averted a potential catastrophe there.  The Mayor still railed against his supposed captivity, occasionally threatening to bring vengeful legions of merciless dawrven armies crashing down on Axefather like an Age of Legends childs story, but after the first three weeks not even the most gullible of the population worried that much anymore. True be told, Rictus suspected he enjoyed the luxury he now found himself in too much to risk jeopardising it by wrecking the place by calling in a cohort of trigger-happy marksdarves.  

With peace and calm reigning through out the prosperous and happy outpost Rictus had, with the help of the councillors drawn up plans to exploit the magma breach.  Areas were zoned that would – it was hoped –one day lead to a series of forges that could start churning out expensive iron, gold and platinium bars.  For now, however, Rictus prided herself not on what she hoped to achieve, but on what she had done. And she was right to be proud.  
Another, smaller group of migrants had appeared on the 13th Malachite, taking the population of the fortress up to one hundred and fifteen. There was already enough spare capacity to house and bed them all in the existing Habitat extensions.  In addition, on the Brokers suggestion, she drafted three of the biggest of them into the Fortress Guard, taking the Sheriffs squad up to five members.  
The migrants also told Rictus of a human caravan in the area.  They had passed on word of the fortresses location to the humans, and had then bid them farewell, carrying on their journey, so Rictus and the councillors, flanked grandly by the largest of Axefathers soldiers, had been well prepared to meet the humans when they finally turned up a few days after.  

Unfortunately, a lack of a road and a large group of prowling ogres had meant that their well stocked caravans had been forced to stay well away, but nonetheless, Rictus remembered fondly a group of merchants and guardsmen forcing pack mules over the half completed track in a stubborn effort to trade something. She liked humans. There was something incredibly appealing about their gawkiness, and the way they looked so spindly and fragile that just made her want to ruffle their hair. If she could reach it.  Which was why when their guild representative had presented her with an order for warhammers and swords she had happily accepted despite having no intention or ability of being able to fulfil it. In return, she urged the humans to come back with food and drink, and agreed, rather rashly that they would pay handsomely for it.

“Those crazy humans” she murmured, chuckling to herself

Geshud Earthenknighted, one of the Fortresses many dwarflings, knocked on the door to Rictus’s office. He was a foppish boy, with a mane of bright orange hair and freckles that worked their way around his cheeks and disappeared under his wispy beard.  His mind was rarely on earthly matters, despite his name, and he was more likely to be found lounging around in the long grass of the moated encampment day dreaming about Fikod Workbreach, the only Fortress girl his age.

“Good morning Geshud. How can I help you?”

“Nekose said I should come get you.” He said sheepishly, not looking at Rictus, but smiling widely, “he said you’ll like this.”

“Like what?” Rictus was suddenly suspicious, it was not beyond Geshud to play a practical joke on someone – even Dear Leader.

“He says I have to bring you outside, and not to worry.”

“Look Earthenknighted, I’m a busy person. Can you not just tell me what this is about?”

“I – I’m sorry, no, but you will like this.”

Reluctantly, Rictus allowed herself to be herded through the Fortress, pulled onward by a visible more excited Geshud with ever step.  Rictus was a cautious individual by nature, and this just reeked of a set up. But she needn’t have worried.  As she stepped out in the brilliant morning sunshine, she was greeted by a wide semi-circle of cheering and clapping dwarves.  They stood facing away from her, looking inwards at something.  Rictus, satisfied that she was probably not going to be butt of some bad joke pushed her way through the mass of celebrating dwarves to see Mononn Tinkey, one of the Fortress miners locked in mortal combat with a bemused warthog, his pick discarded and evidently forgotten. The bulky miner, whose muscles shimmered with exertion in the morning air, had one hand under the pig’s belly and the other clasped around a yellow tusk.  As Rictus watched the stout little dwarf, who even among miners was considered to be a bit of a powerhouse, hoisted his porcine opponent into the air and pile-drived the animal back into the ground, just as a tumultuous roar broke out from amongst the onlookers.  Laughing, Tinkey let the dazed animal go.  It meandered in a wide circle, hopelessly injured and confused, trying to get a bead on its assailment.  Tinkey stood up, still holding his belly in laughter, and watched the animal whose grey and brown fur was matted with sweat and blood eventually focus on him and begin to charge.  

The crowd fell silent.  Tinkey stood his ground, watching the enormous beast thunder onwards.  Rictus felt herself take a deep breath, and for the first time noticed the long line of drool emanating from the warthogs mouth.  Just as it appeared that Tinkey might have his stomach gored out from those still-powerful tusks, he daintily side stepped the raging animal and elbow dropped it. The pig squealed in pain and tried to get away, but the momentum of its charge was broken and Tinkey, who had grabbed hold of a leg, yanked the frightened animal back in front of him.  

The crowd, sensing an end to the fight, bayed for blood, Rictus among them.  The warthog shrieked as Tinkey pummelled it hard, bringing his ham-sized fists down again and again, the crack of ribs and legs was audible even to the onlookers.  The bloodthirsty cheering reached a crescendo, drawing what few dwarves remained inside the Fortress outside to see what was going on.  The pig, hopelessly outclassed by the grinning miner, lay on its side, gulping in shallow mouthfuls of air, its life blood draining inexorably away, its one eye wide open with fear and darting this way and that.  Tinkey retrieved his pick and held it aloft until the cheering and catcalls died away.  

“For Axefather!” he roared, bringing the tool down in an arc used more to hacking away stubborn rock.  As the pick crushed the pigs skull, the crowd took up the chant.

“For Axefather!”

The warthog twitched, and then lay still.

Chapter 8:  An Omen of Evil

Rictus and the other councillors nodded solemnly as the caskets passed down the long line of dwarves.  One was draped in the livery of the Fortress Guard, all elaborate purple and red and gray, topped with a beautiful stone wrought axe that denoted a death in battle. The other had a plain yellow covering and no trinket, no artefact to give an indication of how its occupant had died.  This was, Rictus thought, in itself a very powerful symbol.  The lack of a tool, or weapon or piece of clothing sent a powerful message to all present: this dwarf had died in disgrace.

And so he had. Ingish Kadolathel had been like another dwarf, busy working away, toiling hard at his crafts workshop, just like any other of the hundred-plus dwarves who now called Axefather home, when, so his family said, he just disappeared.  This in itself was not a problem.  He had finished his yearly quota five months early and had no one but himself and Armok to answer to.  It was not unusual for dwarves to take to their beds for days or even weeks at a time in melancholy or bizarre isolated fits of paranoia, but Kadolathel never recovered. Life carried on however, people got on with their lives all but forgetting the unfortunate craftsdwarf.  Rictus blamed herself partly for what happened. Witnesses recalled hearing Ingish calling for equipment and materials, and apparently reports from the sheriff had been given to her, but she was just too busy overseeing the expansion of the Catacombs to follow them up in any meaningful way.  

So Ingish had festered, letting his paranoia consume him, letting the hate and rage build and grow inside, tormenting and twisting every action and memory until all that was left was a fragmented spiteful dwarf who could only remember and think of pain in his life.  And suddenly, on the 26th of Limestone some perceived injustice had caused him to snap.  He wanted revenge.  Hurtling down the long corridors and gray avenues of Axefather nobody would escape his wrath.  And when he came across one of the off-duty Fortress guards making her way to a party, he bloodily tore her limb from limb, hanging her entrails from nooks and crannies in the high walls in a ghastly parody of festival decorations.  Her skull was excavated and paraded in a sickly mime while her gutted skin was stretched across the hallway to act as a nauseating drapery.  All the while he kicked about bones and organs, laughing gaily as he covered himself in blood and intestines.

This was how Ingish Kadolathel was discovered by a trio of other party goers.  They wrestled him to the ground and sought help from the Sheriff, who happily beat Ingish to death with a hammer and, oddly enough, the skull of the deceased Fortress Guard.  

So the twin caskets made their way down the line, with each dwarf in turn taking the opportunity to touch the drapery and mutter a few words private to each person in turn.  It was a grand affair, solemn in its dignity, sombre in its bearing and the whole population of the Fortress had turned out for the double funeral.  First the fortress guard, who Rictus realised with guilty pangs, did not even know the name of, reached the cave river.  There she was laid down reverently, and nudged gently onto the fast flowing waters of the river Ax, which quickly carried her away into the dark and unknown depths of the mountain.

The second cask was dumped unceremoniously down a short time after, and dwarves with tears in their eyes kicked the coffin into river where it landed with a splash that echoed around the high ceiling and archways of the tree farm. The dwarves who were close enough watched the yellow-covered casket flow away, bobbing gently, until it too disappeared.  Those who couldn’t see the river remained lost in their own thoughts.

Eventually, after what seemed a silent eternity, Aargh piped up. “Drink?” he asked

“Absolutely” Rictus grinned

The dwarves broke off into smaller, chattering groups, determined to put a brave face on. Ingish had been a lunatic, true, but he was also just a regular dwarf.  The same could happen to all of them, and that was a disturbing thought. Rictus climbed the short steps and made her way through the party-hall slowly filling up with dwarves, past the empty Habitat and workshop area and leaned against one of the enormous catapults that stood like silent sentinels against the Fortresses foes. In her slightly elevated position she could see the whole plain as it stretched out in front of her.  She could see, in the distance, the boxes and masonry of the road building party, and on either side of that the felled remains of a dozen trees.  Nearer to her, the thick forest still teemed with life, more so over these last few months unfortunately, as sightings of ogres, and harpies came on a nearly daily basis and the I.S.M.E.L.L. had been hard pressed trying to deal with all of them.  

Idly she watched her breath mist, lazily curling and twisting in the air.  Winter had came upon them quickly.  Almost overnight the farms had been reduced to a dry, frozen patches useless to the Fortress growers, the river had more gradually seized up, icing over, though it was still of some use to the fishers and those desperate enough to drink from its muddy depths.  With winter came the twilight days of Rictus’s tenure as Dear Leader.  She thought of that list she had been given on her first day, what seemed a life time ago now, and mentally ticked off everything that had been completed.  Only the road remained to be done now, and that was so near completion that it should be done in a matter of days.

A commotion behind brought her back to cold reality. Naturally, it was the sheriff.

“Rictus, you elephant-loving kobold rat, are you actually blind, or just dangerously stupid?” He was hauling something with him.  Rictus sighed: she was not in the mind to be taunted.

“What now, Violentwhips?”

“While the Fortress is off toasting the death of a loony and an incompetent, we’ve been having visitors. They even managed to sneak past you, although a horde of rampaging dragons could have done that, as long as they held up a sign saying ‘we’re not really here’. I caught this-” he threw down a body in the space between them “-going through our stockpile.”

Rictus peered at it.  The bundle seemed all grey and dark red leather, with small tufts of wiry hair peeking out from a mud encrusted cap.  Two spindly legs, skinnier than a human poked out from beneath the multi-layered mass, showing skin so green it was nearly black.  Rictus sucked in a cold breath.

“A goblin?”

“Such sparkling brevity is wasted in Axefather.  Maybe your mother did something right after all, and here I was thinking she placed another miserable burden on the world by not throwing you into ogre pit after the third time she dropped you. Yes, it’s a goblin.  One of a pair that we caught while everyone else was boo-hooing earlier.”

“Where’s the other one?”

“We put him in your office and gave him dinner. What do you think we did, you nitwit? I used his brains to repaint the Habitats walls. He was a child snatcher, and if it hadn’t been for the fact that I cannot stand funerals he might have succeeded, and as much as I would have loved seeing you explain to some distraught parents why you can’t run a Fortress worth a damn, it was actually much more fun to batter that little ingrate upside the head some.”

Rictus delicately poked the prone goblin with her shoe. It stirred, and she took a step back, eyes wide. “It’s alive!”

“Congratulations.  You are officially the last person in the Fortress to notice.  Is there not a shallow puddle you could drown in while someone with modicum of intelligence actually runs this place? Of course it’s alive.  How else would we find out where it came from?”

“What if it escapes?”

“The only way that would happen is if I went suddenly insane and left it in your care.  Plus, I’ve broken both its legs.”

The goblins turned out to be from Tubebsluronako.  “The Glacial Torments” Rictus said, fumbling around with the staccato, guttural goblin vowels.  “Never heard of it.”

The Sheriff snorted, “and you had never heard of your own navel before Nekose pointed it out to you.  That’s not exactly a good indicator of its popularity.”

“So explain then” said Koji, who, along with Aargh, had joined them shortly after hearing the news.

“The Glacial Torments was ruled by an evil, vile human called Båx Emoson, back when I was just a little dwarfling.  They built nothing, and destroyed or corrupted everything they come across.  They created fear and suffering and exported it to the world.  My father, Ubid Violentwhips, was part of the expedition to destroy that wretched hive, but clearly they failed where they thought they had succeeded. Or at least, they hadn’t been as thorough as they thought.  This was six decades ago. I doubt Båx is still in charge.  But it looks like they’re up to their old tricks.”

“What should we do?” Koji said, clutching a chisel in one hand, and a small engraving hammer in the other

“What can we do?  We know the old location of Tubebsluronako, but it’s not likely to still be there, and even if we did know where it is today, what could our hundred dwarves do against the five thousand goblins likely to be at The Glacial Torments? Best we simply strengthen our defences, arm our soldier’s best we can and pray to Armok that Båx finds a more tempting target.”

The news of the goblin incursions had spread like miasma in the Fortress.  Rictus was assailed constantly with advice from well meaning dwarves, or plagued for assurances from more worried ones.  She felt under siege in her own office, as a line of dwarves twenty deep sought to give or seek counsel from her.

“I reckon we should invade them first.  Take them out before they can prepare an army” said the broad shouldered peasant Onol Deadworks, as she paced back in forth in Rictus’s study.

“Uh-huh” grunted Rictus, distractedly. She had a map of the fortress laid out in front her, with overlays for planned extensions that she was busy making adjustments to.  

“See, if we strike first with everything we have, the goblins will surely scatter and flee before the might of our fine army.”

“Uh-huh”

“We’ll be heroes!  Bards and druids will sing our praises for a thousand years!  The conquerors of The Glacial Torments! Onol Deadworks at their head, spearing a hundred goblins single handedly.”

“Uh-huh. Sounds good.”

“So you’ll do that then?” she enquired

“I’ll think about it Onol.”

“Great. If you do attack, can I come?”

“Oh, you’ll be the first in line.” Rictus ushered her out of the door, to be replaced by Koji and Nekose, who smiled good naturedly as Onol gushed about her new role as goblin-conqueror. “How’s goes the Catacombs?” Rictus asked, as they seated themselves.

“Well, what we thought was iron turned out to be platinum. And a lot of it. We’re excavating the entire vein now, however…”

“Useless until we get hematite.” Koji added. Rictus nodded.  The expansion of the Catacombs had been the single largest and steadiest area of growth in the Fortress over her tenure, and still it had yielded nothing but cassiterite, malachite and galena. Now they could add gold and platinum to that list, but it might as well all be fresh air and rat tails until they hit the necessary iron ore.  Three areas to contain the smelting operations and relevant stockpiles had also been annexed next to the most convenient exploratory tunnel, but they stood empty, licked red by the heat of the nearby lava flows.

“Keep trying.  According to this map, our observers have spotted a likely vein far to the south of even our deepest tunnels.  I believe this is our best hope for now, so I’ve laid out zoning to head in this direction.”

“It’s a long shot” said Nekose, clearly sceptical, “but the slow-and-steady approach hasn’t been much more successful either, so we’ll get on this.” He shrugged, almost to himself.

“How’s the road?” Koji asked, idly sketching patterns in the air

“Ask him yourself” Rictus said as Aargh sidled into the room, a broad, toothy grin breaking his leathery face.

“Finished!” he announced, happily.

OOC: I've rather rushed the last two chapters, in an effort to finish up quicker.  I've also glossed over a lot of the minor information that has occurred, such as a third (count 'em!) group of migrants, a second metalsmith going insane, and a rat attacking a miner. Instead, I've focused on the bits that are easier to write about.

The last chapter will simply lay out Rictus's retirement, and set up the general tone of the place.  That should come tonight or tomorrow morning, hopefully.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 24, 2007, 05:00:00 am »

Rictus, you've got to be the best writer I've ever seen in a succession game.

Do the migrants still always show up wearing dresses? I never saw a single dwarf wearing anything else.

Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

The Prince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2007, 08:54:00 pm »

Come on Rictus ... so close.

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 28, 2007, 11:56:00 am »

Chapter 9: All’s Well That Ends Well?

Rictus slapped the rough stone wall and watched the small cloud of stone and dirt that blossomed off of it. The long corridor stretched well into the darkness both ahead and behind her, threatening to swallow the stocky dwarf up in a choking gulf of nothingness.  Even the red and yellow glow from the magma did not penetrate this far into the Catacombs, although its warmth did, which gave the inky silence the eerie quality of chilling the bones but warming the skin.
Like all dwarves, Rictus felt most comfortable when surrounded by stone, but she hated the Catacombs.  Indeed, that network of corridors and avenues and caves that covered an area that rivalled the rest of the Fortress put together, was deeply distrusted by most of the dwarves in the Fortress.  It was just a sense that there was something there, watching them, judging them, teasing and probing them.  Down here dwarves still worked in gangs, and never stayed overnight, instead choosing to down tools and make the lengthy journey back through the winding passages, over the chasm and into a semblance of normality, rather than risk a night here.

Rictus did not blame them. The thought itself sent shivers racing up and down her spine, and she had only agreed to make this journey reluctantly, now that her tenure was coming to a close and the potential rewards were so great.  She had less than ten days left until formally the Dear Leadership passed from her to a new appointee and she was determined to get as many loose ends tied up, and as much accomplished as possible.  To that end, she had paved a lot of ground over the past few months.  Animals had been designated for slaughter to provide a short-lived but workable food supply, beds and bedrooms had been laid aside for any unexpected arrivals and the trap-defences had been extended three-fold to deter any organised assaults, engineers and operators had been appointed to man the goliath catapults that guarded the gate on a permanent basis, and resources from timber to gems had been stockpiled to allow the new leadership as a much of a free reign as possible when they took over. In her head, she ticked off a list that had grown considerably.

Ahead of her the distinctive tinny sounds of picks hitting stone reached her.  She had never been to the Catacombs before, and had avoided any number of duties that needed her there before, but now, on the eve of her abdication, she had decided to make one first, and final journey into the innermost organs of the mountain.  Behind her tramped the rest of the Councillors minus Nekose, who had dutifully taken charge of the Project Hematite some months ago now.

“They are close” said Aargh, hugging a bottle of beer

“I can hear their work songs” agreed Koji.  True enough, gruff tunes came warbling down the steadily rougher tunnels, unsmoothed and barely supported in a rush to complete their objective in time.  Rictus couldn’t carry a tune personally.

“Gold, gold, gol – Ah! Hello, you are just in time.  We are nearly at the estimated breach” said Nekose, wiping sweat and dust off his forehead, as they approached.  They had to tread carefully: piles of masonry and massive ill-shapen chunks of rock littered the ground, threatening to twist or break the ankles and wrists of the unwary.  It was a peculiarly undwarven sight, seeing such a mess. Dwarves were methodical creatures, as befits a race whose success and lives depended upon putting up supports regularly and properly lest they cause a cave-in, but speed was of the essence now, and such niceties could be waylaid for the time being.

A burly miner who Rictus did not recognise was at the forefront now, hammering away at a tin fissure barely two feet across but nearly sixteen feet deep, while the small work-gang of three others rested and dusted themselves off.  It said something about the confines of the makeshift tunnel that the newcomers had to stand in single file and with their backs to the wall so that they could all peer round to look at the ongoing cramped work.

“How has it been today?” Rictus called to Nekose over the jarring pounding of iron on stone, and the softer, but still loud sound of stone chipping away or falling to the ground.

”Same as always: hot and creepy” he waved dismissively, “I’m used to it” he added, as way of explanation. He was about to speak again when the miner in the fissure stopped, bent over to retrieve a fallen piece of debris, examine it for a moment or two (while everyone else leaned expectantly closer), shake his head and toss it over his shoulder.  He resumed work oblivious to the excitement he had caused. “Anyway…how is the preparation going?”

“Good. The last Ess-Ef-Tee was completed this morning, now all I need to do is hold the gates until Spring rolls around. There is what? Nine days left?”

“Eight, so the Sheriff said, but he was sober at the time. Have you enjoyed it?”

As a rule, the Councillors never mentioned their own tenures, nor did they comment much on current performance.  It was bad form.

“Like a narrow-leather boot to the face, frankly.  I can’t wait to get back to some real work. I’ve almost forgotten what working outside feels like.”  

“You’ll miss it soon enough” Aargh said, and the others nodded.  The work stopped again, the miner turned a lumped over and over in his hands. From where Rictus was standing she couldn’t see much difference between the chunk he was holding, and the mess all around him, but then, that was why she cut down trees for a living. The miner discarded the piece again.

“Does he do that often?” Koji asked, indicting the miner

“We’re getting very close to the vein, we think, so we’re double checking a lot of stuff we would skip over normally, but yes, that is happening a lot at the moment.” Nekose made a show of sighing heavily, but the effect was lost as he sputtered on some inhaled dust. “Dammit” he grumbled. “We’ve had a massive amount of platinum lately, which has a distinctive sparkle, but hematite?” he shrugged, “it’s hard to tell from regular stone, especially in this light.”

“I originally had thoughts that we could start shifting some of this stone over to the gate, for catapult ammunition.” Rictus offered, as she balanced on an off-kilter hunk of rubble.

“Glad that you didn’t. It’s a pain to work down here as it is without a dozen well-meaning peasants clogging up the tunnel and getting in the way.  Plus, although it’s about as creepy and foul down here as the Mayors privy, but there is something inherently relaxing about being away from the bustle, even if for a while” he chuckled to himself, and looked around at his surrounding – which didn’t take long.

Rictus followed his gaze around the small hollowed out cave that led to the fissure.  The Catacombs were creepy, no doubt, but yes, there was something about being out on a limb like this that must have been quite therapeutic, but Rictus didn’t get to dwell on it for long, because the miner emerged from the narrow cleft with armed with a broad grin and a lump of unremarkable stone in his leathery hands.  The other miners crowded around him, like mothers around a newborn babe, while the Councillors smiled at each other and clapped their hands in anticipation.

Nekose detached himself from the cooing miners and bounded over to the Councillors.

“Hematite.” He beamed.  

That’s me done, folks!  Sorry the last chapter was so short, but as I feared RL sucked away most of my week off, and I’ve bashed this out in half an hour that I should have spent doing work instead.

Good luck, whoever is next. I alluded to a frantic last month in the last chapter, but I’ve tried to set it up so that you can get right into it.  Food is a little low, but you should be able to manage until the fields start up.

Feel free to not use the set up as I have described, e.g. with the catacombs, the sheriff, councillors, etc, as this was purely a narrative invention and don’t let it get in the way of your writing.

Screen shot and save coming up

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 28, 2007, 12:07:00 pm »

The Fortress as I was finished with it (hopefully)

And the save file:
http://rapidshare.com/files/65816592/DFsave.rar.html

Good luck!

[ October 28, 2007: Message edited by: Rictus ]

The Prince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 28, 2007, 07:32:00 pm »

Awesome job, Rictus.  I'll spend tonight picking up the nuances on our fortress and probably do my turn tomorrow.  The only thing that may delay my turn would be the new version's release.

Nekose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 28, 2007, 10:18:00 pm »

I'm glad you finally found it rictus.

To be honest, after my turn was over, I immediatly hollowed the entire mountain out before i could find that damn stuff. I've never played a game with iron so far from the beaten path.

I was tempted to tell you where to go, but i figured that would take some of the fun out of it.

All in all, an awesome job.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15