Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: /V/ Succession Game!  (Read 17394 times)

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: /V/ Succession Game!
« Reply #150 on: October 20, 2007, 02:46:00 am »

(double post)

[ October 20, 2007: Message edited by: Fedor ]

Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
  • still hasn't found any adamantine
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 20, 2007, 02:59:00 am »

Right, if Svarog isn't going, I'll take my turn then. I'll get on that now.  Playing through the year shouldn't take that long, but I'm pretty verbose when it comes to write ups, so expect it no later than tomorrow at the most.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 20, 2007, 03:17:00 am »

quote:
Sound off guys, who still wants to play?

I'm still here.

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2007, 03:19:00 am »

Aargh, the file you uploaded is of 1053.  I thought the place looked a little under-developed...

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2007, 03:25:00 am »

What do you mean?

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2007, 03:28:00 am »

The file is 1st Granite 1053.  Unless I missed something, that's the beginning of your turn, and not the end. It should be 1054, after you've done your funky thing.

EDIT: P.s. I love the map you've added with it.  Extremely useful!

[ October 20, 2007: Message edited by: Rictus ]

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2007, 03:30:00 am »

Are you sure? I don't even HAVE a savefile of that date I think...

Does the fortress match the picture I posted on page 5? If so it's the end of my turn... if not, I'll upload the correct savefile.

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2007, 03:33:00 am »

It doesn't match the picture, no. I was rereading your entry with the save open and playing (to get an idea and feel for the place), which was why I noticed the discrepancies in the first place.  The first thing that caught my eye was the road, then the catapults.  There are neither on the save file.

Aargh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2007, 03:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Rictus:
<STRONG>EDIT: P.s. I love the map you've added with it.  Extremely useful!</STRONG>

Yeah I know. I kinda felt I HAD to make the map, not just for the switches, but especially because I didn't bother laying a canal in the hallway that leads to the moat (and it can't be unflooded because I am an idiot) so I had to warn everyone not to mine into that hallway.   :p

And here's the correct savefile: http://rapidshare.com/files/63850479/save.rar.html

[ October 20, 2007: Message edited by: Aargh ]

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2007, 04:54:00 am »

Thanks Aargh, I'll get on it now.

EDIT: Spoiler: Food shortages caused by massive wave of immigration threatens social fabric of Axefather.  Will this be the end?

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2007, 10:26:00 am »

Ok, finishing playing my turn.  Write up should arrive tomorrow at some point. The Rugby world cup final is on tonight, so I won't be doing any work until tomorrow morning, as I shall be most likely far too drunk to even think, let alone write coherently.

For now, just some thoughts. It was a busy year in Axefather, and the setup was an interesting one. However, quite a lot did get done. This fortress had a couple of firsts for me, including a "terrifying" wilderness, and the policy of not tidying up mined stone after yourself. The stock pile and workshop arrangements was also an interesting take from how I usually organise things.  I'll take this opportunity to apologise now for whoever comes after me, as the food is rather low.  The reason for this will become apparent in the write up, but you should be able to manage until the first crop arrives.

Apart from that, and a few further things that'll get written up, the majority of the year was spent "solidifying" the fortress and reacting to outside actions, which meant that in terms of pure progression (e.g. the process by which adamantium is obtained) not a great deal happened.

Now, to make that sound interesting!

By the way, I'm a bit of a technological newbie. How do you export the fortress as a picture (for a screenshot)?

EDIT: Numerous typos

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2007, 11:12:00 pm »

To take a snapshot of the entire fortress, press escape during gameplay and hit "export to local bitmap" or whatever. It'll make a .bmp file in your DF folder which will be enormous. I converted mine to a .png and shrank it a bit, but there are other methods to get the size down.

To take a snapshot of an individual area, press "print screen" on your keyboard, then go to your favorite paint-type program and hit paste. Voila!

Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2007, 09:38:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Koji:
<STRONG>To take a snapshot of the entire fortress, press escape during gameplay and hit "export to local bitmap" or whatever. It'll make a .bmp file in your DF folder which will be enormous. I converted mine to a .png and shrank it a bit, but there are other methods to get the size down.

To take a snapshot of an individual area, press "print screen" on your keyboard, then go to your favorite paint-type program and hit paste. Voila!</STRONG>

DFMA is mutsh preferable, it means smaller file sises and also that all DF maps will be in an centralized position to be wiped out at once... err, I mean being accessibly to an larger audience, yes.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 21, 2007, 01:31:00 pm »

Write up is taking longer than I thought.  I've hit 6 pages and I'm only up to the middle of the first month.  I'll post the first two chapters in a bit, once I've spell and error checked.

Rictus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 21, 2007, 03:12:00 pm »

Chapter One: A Humble Start

The tree fell with remarkably little noise, coming to rest atop a thick blanket of leaves that came up to the thick leather greaves of the lumberjack.  She scurried to the top of fallen trunk, reaching out and grasping each branch in turn to pull herself higher and, again using her axe, began to hew at some of the thicker branches that sprouted periodically from its length.
It was slow, hard work, but ‘Rictus’ was used to it, and before long she had amassed a considerable pile of worked logs. These she tossed to the leafy ground and put into a hammock for hauling back to the fortress.  The forest itself was serene, despite the death of an ancient and large tree, with birds chattering and a soft but warming sunlight streamed in through the new hole in the canopy. The spring air was crisp and clear, and filtering through the thick foliage came the sound of a river winding its lazy course. As she tore and cut at fresh branches she remarked to herself how much it had changed over as little as two years. Back then doing a job like this alone would have been unthinkable.  In those days loggers had moved in packs three or four strong, and usually with two or more heavily armed guarddwarves, and even then it was not unknown for people to go missing or to find a bloody corpse gored or beaten or half eaten.  These days Rictus could quite happily spend two or three days at a time outside of the fortress, venture quite far into the woods and work independently.  Admittedly people still did go missing, especially those who went very deep, but that was a risk you understood and took.
Now those creatures and societies who had preyed on the dwarves found themselves hunted down, their meat carved, their skin tanned and their bones fashioned into bolts for crossbows.  It was a glorious process.
And yet nature had not learned, or rather, been tamed.  Ogres, harpies, warthogs, lions and tigers had prowled these lands for hundreds of years, so it would take more a few score months to beat them, but they rarely attacked in droves anymore, choosing instead to pick their targets.  This was why when the peaceful air of the forest was disturbed, Rictus hefted her axe and fingered a handful of sharpened stones in her pocket that she would use to blind or drive off any opportunistic attacker.  Her tone was more of resigned wary than fear; as a lumberjack you quickly learned to stay calm and keep a watch for yourself, as well as develop a knack for close combat: her axe had felled more harpies than trees.
When the disturbance turned out to be another dwarf picking his way through the undergrowth, Rictus grunted and returned to her work.  The dwarf entered the new clearing and slide down a muddy bank to approach her.

“Greetings Athelrazot” he said, waving as he neared. Rictus ignored him.  Up the bank, a thickset guard armed with a crossbow and a bad attitude scanned the treeline.  

Only Dear Leader travelled with guards any more.  

This must be important.

“You must love the spring,” he continued. Rictus looked at him and was not surprised to find it was Dear Leader, Aargh, as he was affectionately known. “Especially after the winter we have had.”

“It wasn’t that bad.” Rictus said, slicing a branch off pointedly

“Spring must make up for it,” he carried on “sometimes think I understand what the elves are taking about on days like this. It’s…glorious.”

Rictus pulled the last of the spindly twigs of the branch and tossed it down onto the pile.  “When its not raining it is fine.”

“Ha!” Aargh, pulled on his beard: a sure sign that he wanted to say something. “You’re quite a hard worker aren’t you? That’s probably why you were chosen.” He added, almost to himself. It was so quiet Rictus wondered whether she heard him correctly, but she choose to ignore it and instead hopped off the fallen tree and began tying up the hammock.  “You’re in charge now.  There is to be a catch-up meeting in my office at some point, when you get back.  Good luck.”  Aargh scrambled up the bank, and with his guard left just as quickly as they had arrived, leaving Rictus to her thoughts as she ducked under the hammock straps and began to bodily drag the haul back home.

To Axefather.

Chapter 2:  Bureaucracy

Rictus idly wound her beard through her fingers as she made her way to Aargh’s office for the catch-up briefing.  She made her way slowly, and took the long route through the stockpile and workshops.  Those who hailed and congratulated her were acknowledged with a nod or a smile, but she did not stop to talk.  It rather seemed that they all knew long before she did about her appointment, and she had no desire to hear verbose but well meaning ‘advice’ just yet.
She lingered on the bridge for some time and watched life in the fortress go by.  She liked (but would not admit) the contrast between the bright and airy outside, where danger could come from any direction and the elements relentlessly pounded, to the warmer and more welcoming darkness of the mountain, where everything was enclosed and you knew the predictable rhythms of life. Both were nice, but too much of either made her stomach churn frankly.
Two dwarves carrying a massive slab of rhyolite nodded to her as they passed, she raised a hand to them, but didn’t go to help.  Instead, she thought what she would do with her tenure in charge.  

“Bridges” she said aloud, spotting another dwarf on the far side waiting for the haulers to pass.

Evidently her thought processes were more transparent than she knew, as one of the haulers smiled at her. “Bridges can wait.  Sort out the food first” he said.
She turned and headed on.

Aargh’s office was a plain affair, though it was grand in its size, if not decoration. An empty weapon rack stood against one wall, an armour stand with some dusty leather armour stood against another. In the middle of the room a single chair was tucked into an impressive looking table that was covered in bits of paper and an inkwell that had typical dwarven decorations on.  Rictus made a mental note to have a closer look and find out where he got that from.
Aargh and Nekose, another former Dear Leader were already present when she finally arrived, and the conversation they had been having stopped so abruptly Rictus guessed they had been talking about her.

“Good morning, sirs” she said, they nodded in reply.

“Koji is on his way” Aargh said, sipping from his omnipresent stein

“Koji is always late,” Nekose said, with a hint of resignation in his gravely voice, “so we’ll get started.”

“Right. These…” Aargh pushed across a slip of paper with bullet-points towards Rictus, who picked it up “…are our overall goals and necessary actions this year.”

“Who came up with these?”

“Mostly Koji, though we have both added to them over time. I’m sure you’ll add some too.”

“I see. And all these must be completed?”

“Well…no.  Most of them have to be continually done – such as that one about the harvest – to ensure Axefather just gets by, the others are optional in the sense that our situation will not get worse if they do not get done. Have a read, tell us what you think.”

Rictus looked at the spidery handwriting. It was written in Arch-Dwarfic, a style favoured by artisans, academics and people with too much time on their hands.

Complete the road

Continue iron exploratory tunnels

Expand the Habitat

Raise food stocks

Complete the Unfinished Business

Ensure Outside is safe

Build tree farm

Increase nobility housing

Continue training and provision of soldiers

Meet human representatives

“Interesting list” Rictus said eventually. “Meet humans?”

“Well, that might not happen this year. Or even next year, but they will come eventually.  Those smelly gits are insidious. They turn up everywhere. Excuse me, need another drink.” Aargh let himself out, passing Koji on the way in.

“Congratulations Riccie” the artist said, “do us proud”

“I’ll try…So, this looks like my orders are decided. And what role will you three play?”

“We will give you advice, and help out, particularly at first.  We shall be a parliament, if you like.” Nekose said

“A council” agreed Koji. Rictus was inwardly worried, a council of ex-leaders sounded like a recipe for having her hands tied.  “Oh, and I have already ordered your bedroom and office constructed. The miners should arrive soon.”

“Thanks” she replied tonelessly. “So what is the rest of our situation?”

“Glad you asked. Axefather; population eighty.  We have a standing force of fifteen soldiers whose main task is to keep the nascent road clear.  Our nine farmers keep us well feed, and our workshops, located here, here and here…” he jabbed three points on a handily colour-coded map, “produce plenty of stock. The sheriff dispenses justice-”

“When he isn’t busy doing bugger all” Koji added bitterly

“-from here” another jab, “which also comprises the rest of the housing for the nobility. You know about the Habitat and the Catacombs, but both will need expanding at some point.  That’s your job.”

“I see.” Rictus said, looking down at the map, suddenly feeling very lost. “What do you suggest?” she said eventually.

The councillors looked at each other, until eventually Nekose spoke up. “For now? Nothing. Get the farm up and running, otherwise do not make any massive changes.”

“People resent change” Koji nodded, sagely.

EDIT: Hmmm...that text looks a lot blockier on the forum. I'll try and make the next installments more reader friendly, and I forgot fonts don't copy over either, which means the list in the second chapter loses some effect. Oh well.  Hope you enjoy it!

[ October 21, 2007: Message edited by: Rictus ]

[ October 21, 2007: Message edited by: Rictus ]

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15