Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet another modding question...  (Read 1162 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Yet another modding question...
« on: August 05, 2008, 10:37:06 am »

How can I add specific creatures to a civilization? Example goblins are using trolls sometime in sieges. Now is it possible to add an ogre to the goblins [just an example again]. Also those creatures will show up when a siege happens? If this is possible how can I alter the number of normal units [goblins in this case] and special creatures [trolls, ogres in this case] what will show up in a siege? I dont want a siege with 10 trolls and 20 ogres, but more like 25 goblins, 3 trolls, 2 ogres.

Angellus

Re: Yet another modding question...
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 12:30:07 pm »

I am not experienced with modding but I believe that you might mod beak dogs or trolls to other beasts, but if you can add is unknown with me.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 04:50:01 pm »

Well I guess its not possible [looks like that trolls are hardcoded regarding goblin sieges?], but some experienced modders or Toady might spot the thread and give a proper answer. This would be awesome if we could do this, but browsing through the wiki + raws, I doubt it, that this is possible at the moment.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 05:30:36 pm »

As Sieges step up, the attacking Army will naturally start to bring some creatures along with them. First, they'll start with [MOUNT]s and (I'm guessing) move up to things with [BUILDINGDESTROYER:X] - that explains the Beak Dogs and Trolls. The important part is, they choose those creatures because they're native to the Biomes that the Civ hail from - and Beak Dogs and Trolls are [EVIL] creatures, and Goblins are found in evil Biomes. So, if you modded in some Desert Goblins or something and had Giant Scorpions with [MOUNT] on them that were native to the Desert Goblins' biome, they'd start to bring them to sieges. You'll also notice in the entity entries that some civs are forced to use only [GOOD] or [EVIL] creatures, which also would limit their choice.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 01:45:58 am »

The Dasleah covered the question pretty nice.
1. They'll eventually bring pets as siege creatures.
2. Another way is to make the creature to be their "god".
In my mod ents are standalone race and do not live with elves (If you've read LOTR the ents live alone and elves are not THAT tree-hugging).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 07:36:31 am »

Hm so basically if a civilization is evil for example, they will use random evil creatures as pets in sieges?
Bah too bad, so we cannot use specific creatures for civilizations... ::)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 07:19:07 am »

Tormy emailed me about some tags so I figured I'd explain them here:

> USE_ANY_PET_RACE

assuming it passes other checks, any creature in their list of usables (from common domestic if they have that or from the surrounding 7x7 or so of squares and map features in those squares) which has PET or PET_EXOTIC will be available as a pet (next time, it'll let them use mounts/pullers/pack animals of any kind as well, but I'm not sure this matters in the stock raws).  This notion of the initial usable creature list, which then gets pared down or otherwise considered, applies below as well.  All common domestic and equipment creatures are also added to the initial list.

> USE_CAVE_ANIMALS

If they don't have it, creatures with exclusively subterranean biomes are skipped.

> USE_EVIL_ANIMALS

Don't have it -> EVIL creatures skipped

> USE_EVIL_PLANTS
> USE_EVIL_WOOD   

As EVIL creatures for all uses of plant/wood

> USE_GOOD_ANIMALS   
> USE_GOOD_PLANTS   
> USE_GOOD_WOOD   

As EVIL.

> USE_MISC_PROCESSED_WOOD_PRODUCTS

If wood is available locally, and you have permitted the relevant professions in the def, controls availability of lye, charcoal, potash and pearlash.

> COMMON_DOMESTIC_MOUNT   
> COMMON_DOMESTIC_PACK   
> COMMON_DOMESTIC_PET   
> COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL

If a creature has PET and the relevant COMMON_DOMESTIC_x tag (or COMMON_DOMESTIC for pets), it will be allowed if it passes the other checks.

> IMPROVED_BOWS

Adds decorations to weapons generated for bowman and master bowman.  An elf hack.

> EQUIPMENT_IMPROVEMENTS

Adds decorations to equipment based on the level of the generated unit.  Also improves item quality.

> LOW_SKILL

No longer used.  Formerly used to keep kobolds under control.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 08:10:39 am »

Oh thanks for input Toady, you are really awesome!  :)

Ive updated the wiki with these new informations.  8)
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Entity_tokens
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 08:23:47 am by Tormy »

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 04:42:50 pm »

So the
(next time, it'll let them use mounts/pullers/pack animals of any kind as well, but I'm not sure this matters in the stock raws)

Wait, don't they already do this with camels and muskoxen? They don't have the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag. Or do the [PACK_ANIMAL] and [WAGON_PULLER] tags imply the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag right now?
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 07:46:00 pm »

So the
(next time, it'll let them use mounts/pullers/pack animals of any kind as well, but I'm not sure this matters in the stock raws)

Wait, don't they already do this with camels and muskoxen? They don't have the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag. Or do the [PACK_ANIMAL] and [WAGON_PULLER] tags imply the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag right now?

What I meant by any kind was PET_EXOTIC vs. PET.  So groups with USE_ANY_PET_RACE (only elves) would bring giant tiger mounts if giant tigers had MOUNT (they don't, at this point).

Down below there's a typo.  Just x, like "PACK_ANIMAL", not COMMON_DOMESTIC_x.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2008, 02:11:48 pm »

So the

What I meant by any kind was PET_EXOTIC vs. PET.  So groups with USE_ANY_PET_RACE (only elves) would bring giant tiger mounts if giant tigers had MOUNT (they don't, at this point).

Down below there's a typo.  Just x, like "PACK_ANIMAL", not COMMON_DOMESTIC_x.

Thanks for the clarification.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.