Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tileset question  (Read 748 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Tileset question
« on: August 05, 2008, 09:04:08 am »

Allright, my question is the following. I would like to create a tileset for races. I would like to create unique graphics for all units, example: instead of 1 sprite / civilization, all units would have different graphics, IE a goblin swordmaster would wield a sword, while a goblin macelord would wear a mace of course etc. Now the question is, is it possible to create own graphics for all units in the game, and -for example- when a siege happens those units will display the correct tile graphics?

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset question
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 09:15:58 am »

Yes.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 09:16:52 am »

Graphic sets are relatively easy to make. Make a deafault goblin, with no other equipement. Open him up in paint and give him an axe, then a pick, then a spear, until you have covered all the jobs, its advisable to copy paste your first blank goblin then keep altering him and pasting him again. I also find it useful to make a 16x16 box in paint i know my tile should fit in. The background for your tiles must be black or that magenta colour. (make sure all the "tiles" ie individual creatures are 16x16 pixels, and the paint file is saved as a 24 bit .bmp image), then save is at GOBLINS Then go into raw/graphics (go into example and paste your beautiful GOBLINS.bmp) and copy the current tile set raws you have for dwarves (this saves you a lot of work typing out)
then put in

Code: [Select]
[TILE_PAGE:GOBLINS]
[FILE:example/GOBLINS.bmp]
[TILE_DIM:16:16]
[PAGE_DIM:8:3]

[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:GOBLIN]
[DEFAULT:HUMANS:0:0:ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT]
[---job name here---:GOBLINS:--x coord--:--y coord---:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[---job name here---:GOBLINS:--x coord--:--y coord---:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

Put in the job names and coordinates for each job and set the page dimensions to whatever it is. Its ok to have black spaces. ok now boot up DF and see if it works. hooray.

Ralje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 09:20:31 am »

Here's a bunch of graphics sets you can use as basic examples. I would personally just edit them to your liking.
I>"When god gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD" - Pt

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 09:30:24 am »

Thanks for the help lads!  :)