Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hacking an anvil.  (Read 2980 times)

Celo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hacking an anvil.
« on: August 05, 2008, 01:42:37 am »

Ahoy.

Fairly new to the game, enjoying it a fair amount
Not sure if this is the right place to be asking this, but, well, I'm in a bit of a trouble.
My Commander of the Guard was taken by a strange mood while I was in a fairly new fortress. He's a very good, skilled dwarf, but, sadly, the artifact he wishes to create requires a forge, and I have no anvil. I'd rather not have the dwarf go mad, so I'm here to ask if there's any way to hack an anvil into the game.

Thanks for your time, and I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum, or if this is just a stupid question and I should just deal with losing a good dwarf.

Shadowkire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hacking an anvil.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 02:22:10 am »

If you are lucky the dwarf or human merchants may bring an anvil for you to buy... I don't think there is a way to do what you ask in a game that has already been started. If you want to hack anvils in for other games you could mod the reactions file so that you could make anvils out of thin air.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 02:32:03 am »

I would say loosing is fun. Heck, in one of my games I currently play, there is a metalcrafter or even a weapon/armorcrafter in a mood, and me without an anvil. But hey, I've got another 3 smiths and a legendary dinning room.

But yes, you can probably mod the anvils only before you start a game.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Celo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 02:39:03 am »

Alright, thanks for the responses. I kind of like how the fortress is going this time around, so I think I'll just keep on playing this save file. I may lose a good dwarf, but there are always more.

Also, I wont be expecting any help from traders. The Dwarf caravan just left a little while ago, and they didn't have an anvil with them. No sign of humans in the future, either, since I played the file a bit further. Hopefully he wont go berserk this time around... Last time, he took around five dwarfs with him.

P.S: Huzzah for legendary dining rooms.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 02:43:24 am by Celo »

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 03:30:10 am »

Could you put [CAN_STONE] on anvils and make a rock anvil? Just a thought

Celo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 03:42:39 am »

I'd still need a forge to make the anvil, regardless of it's materials, wouldn't I?

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 03:50:11 am »

I'd still need a forge to make the anvil, regardless of it's materials, wouldn't I?

Sadly, yes

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 04:09:34 am »

And you can't put stone on an anvil. There'a a way to hack an anvil in though. If you have cats or any animals in the fort, give any of those this: [ITEMCORPSE:ANVIL:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON] and [ITEMCORPSE_QUALITY:2], which should net you a fine anvil, and you can do it without regenning the world. All you need to do afterwards is drop the (un)suspecting animal into a pit or off a cliff (butchering won't do as it leaves no corpse), and you've got your prize. :) Don't forget to revert the animal back to normal - too much cheating is never good.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 04:13:08 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Angellus

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 12:35:56 pm »

And you can't put stone on an anvil. There'a a way to hack an anvil in though. If you have cats or any animals in the fort, give any of those this: [ITEMCORPSE:ANVIL:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON] and [ITEMCORPSE_QUALITY:2], which should net you a fine anvil, and you can do it without regenning the world. All you need to do afterwards is drop the (un)suspecting animal into a pit or off a cliff (butchering won't do as it leaves no corpse), and you've got your prize. :) Don't forget to revert the animal back to normal - too much cheating is never good.
Ooowww, I am so making kitty adamantine bar pinata's ^^

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 01:31:21 pm »

I am relatively sure this works, because once a smelter reaction is in the game, it doesn't matter what happends to it: it only needs to be there at the start to be referenced when the world is created.  Thus you could temporarily modify a current smelter reaction to give you an anvil, say, that for trifle pewter (as an example).

Replace this:
[REACTION:PEWTER_TRIFLE_MAKING2]
[NAME:make trifle pewter bars (use bars)]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:2:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:TIN]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:COPPER]
[PRODUCT:100:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:PEWTER_TRIFLE]
[FUEL]

with this:
[REACTION:PEWTER_TRIFLE_MAKING2]
[NAME:make a free iron anvil]
[SMELTER]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ANVIL:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:IRON]

After obtaining your anvil, just change the smelter reaction back to the original.

I don't have time to test if this really works right now, but I always keep a long list of random smelter commands that do nothing, just in case I want to mod one to do something later on.  I do this because, if I remember correctly, this sort of thing worked for me in the past.  They are all labeled Test1, Test2, ect, but I would modify them (were it to become necessary) to actually do something, as described above.

Celo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 02:40:30 pm »

Those suggestions sound like they'd work, and I might try them out. Sad part is, my Captain already went insane. as I played the file. Don't have a back up before he went nuts, either. Is there a utility that can reverse insanity? I know there are some that can change moods and likes/dislikes of dwarfs.

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 03:03:21 pm »

I don't mean to be defeatist, but at some point it's okay to let go of a dwarf, no matter how sacred.  There will always be more iron with which to train legendaries, always be more strange moods to get them for free, and most importantly, there will almost always be more dwarves... until you've really had fun.  The cool thing is, it's hard to know what things can happen to a fortress that will start turning up in engravings on walls, and decorations on objects.

There is a picture of a dwarf and a dwarf in tower cap.  The dwarf is striking down the dwarf.

Celo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 03:08:51 pm »

Hehe, no worries. I can let go of the dwarf, I just like him because he was super strong, agile, etc. The anvil didn't come in the next two traders as well, even though I requested it. For the third, I moved it to top priority but then it was so expensive he wouldn't let me buy it.... So, I think I'll just make a cat drop it or something.

Would a kitten work? All my adult cats are adopted. By the same guy, oddly.

Edit: Better yet, I'm going to set rats to drop them. That way I'll get one within thirty seconds without having to dig a doom pit.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 03:30:06 pm by Celo »