Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 136231 times)

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Diversity
« Reply #660 on: April 16, 2009, 01:12:51 pm »

I dunno, you'd have to be a pretty pathetic god to have to rely on some manic depressive alcoholic midgets to chisel your way to freedom.

Digging the god up and making trinkets out of it's bones would be the dwarfy thing to do.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: April 16, 2009, 02:11:05 pm »

Hey all Jesus had to begin with was 12 fishing buddies and his parents on his side, to begin with.

Zeus didn't even have that. All his siblings (he was the youngest) got eaten by his dad, who was out to kill him, too. His mom had to rescue him.

Buddha started out as a prince, but he turned his back on all that and ended up a crippled beggar before he became a god.

So I don't think it would be too bizarre for gods to have to be "rescued" in such a manner, and it certainly seems to me like it would fit quite a few different DF themes together.
For they would be your masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: April 16, 2009, 02:29:22 pm »

Buldar needed every living being on earth to cry for him to come back to life.

Uhhh... lets just say things didn't work out for him.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: April 16, 2009, 03:03:48 pm »

Man, you are noting some wacky, very undwarf-like gods.

What about gods like Krishna? The dude was a goddamn general of an army before he became a god.

Anyways, I think it would be pretty awesome to unlease a new god, malevolent or not in the progress of the game. Maybe unearth some immortal supernatural trapped in the rock as punishment. I don't think EVERY god should be "unlocked" as you dig up adamantine deposits on a single world gen.

It works like that somewhat, the
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
except it could be a different sort of god. I'm thinking of this fluff from Diablo that involved a beautiful angel flayed and mutilated in a chamber of mirrors so he could be forced to look on his horrific disfigurement for enternity.

Would be a nice for some deity like that to have a drunken naked midget crash through the wall and 30 lye makers barging in to the loot the place of the valuables in that angel's imprisonment. Something like that could even anger the other gods. THEN YOU KILL THOSE GODS WITH ADAMANTINE BALLISTAS AND MAGMA.

A sorta neat idea, but I don't think it should be a very common thing, the point of the game isn't to free obscure gods or battle mayrid sorts of sphere-related deities, its about killing things and making money from their bones and digging up rock and building impressive structures for your dwarves' glory.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: April 16, 2009, 10:16:14 pm »

Well, Volund, the Norse god of metalsmithing (how's that for dwarfy?), was imprisoned and cripped by a king, so he killed the king's infant sons and made goblets from their skulls for the king and queen to drink from.

Eventually, he escaped and became a god.
For they would be your masters.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #665 on: April 17, 2009, 12:38:37 am »

- Reek:  as a disgusting chemical soup, this stuff could 'evaporate' into clouds of miasma.  Tapping a large pool could theoretically fill your entire fortress with purple clouds of stench. 

It's the Bog of Eternal Stench! Smell baaaaaaaaaaad!

I approve of this idea.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: April 18, 2009, 08:41:34 pm »

I really the idea of digging up fossils. Having an area set up as a Museum with a Curator Nobel. Set up the fossils for display with other relics from past triphums, like a Demon skull or Dragon some such.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: April 18, 2009, 09:36:17 pm »

I really the idea of digging up fossils. Having an area set up as a Museum with a Curator Nobel. Set up the fossils for display with other relics from past triphums, like a Demon skull or Dragon some such.

Thats something that never occured to me. A Podium or Display Case (if made from glass) that is a peice of furniture that would take one item of any sort and create something that adds to a room's value. A Masterful dragon skull totem in a Crystal glass display would give greedgasms to any noble, I'd think.

It'd be a nice and realistic alternative to filling your noble's rooms with traps filled with random weapons to get its value up to their liking.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: April 18, 2009, 10:14:20 pm »

Thats something that never occured to me. A Podium or Display Case (if made from glass) that is a peice of furniture that would take one item of any sort and create something that adds to a room's value. A Masterful dragon skull totem in a Crystal glass display would give greedgasms to any noble, I'd think.

It'd be a nice and realistic alternative to filling your noble's rooms with traps filled with random weapons to get its value up to their liking.

Masterful Glass Display Case.

It would also give kobold thieves something to steal in more objective light. A Trophy room seems very to me Dwarfy. With the later hope of doing rescue mission for kidnap children, why not retrieval mission for stolen possessions.

Maybe marking something like an Icon of the Fortress, and it can give a good happiness thought bonus when seen, and when stolen, a noticeable unhappy thought when seen missing. Possibly even allowing for Capture the Flag Meta game of sorts? Capture a Town Icon/Relic to add for your collection and they come to take it back, and steal yours as well.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: April 19, 2009, 01:11:07 am »

Hmm,  maybe you'd find some secrets, like why did the pantheon make the world?

Is it an eternal prison for the greatest demon of all, the only way to escape their hold, or something else dire, and noir.

Heh, Sentinels wielding Relic Axle Axes, Botars ( Really big broadsword ) , Blunderbusses!

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 19, 2009, 04:47:43 am »

Spoiler: General concept (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Specific HFS ideas (click to show/hide)

I think as far as demons are concerned, many spheres could be collapsed into over-spheres, so you might have frog-demons for every water related sphere, and SoF for every fire related sphere
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 19, 2009, 07:17:47 am »

Hmm,  maybe you'd find some secrets, like why did the pantheon make the world?

Is it an eternal prison for the greatest demon of all, the only way to escape their hold, or something else dire, and noir.

Heh, Sentinels wielding Relic Axle Axes, Botars ( Really big broadsword ) , Blunderbusses!
Dwarf fortress Noir ?
Oh god, I just had an image of a dwarf in a trilby and trenchcoat in a dark office.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 19, 2009, 11:50:24 am »

I think as far as demons are concerned, many spheres could be collapsed into over-spheres, so you might have frog-demons for every water related sphere, and SoF for every fire related sphere

Spheres already have parent-child relationships so that would be straightforward.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: April 19, 2009, 12:46:31 pm »

Since we have caves now...

You know that one scene in Star Wars where they fly into a cave but it's not really a cave because it's a giant worm? We should have those.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: April 19, 2009, 12:50:03 pm »

OR the worms from Dune? Especially in a Desert. They would produce special minerals, too. Maybe the crystal/stone/ore you can get from then does fire damage.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46