Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 136215 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Diversity
« Reply #645 on: April 15, 2009, 03:46:59 pm »

Othob Rithol, considering that Toady seems to be addressing some of the things mentioned in this thread (namely, the repopulation of subterranean creatures), are you planning on adding something to the relevant entries in the first post along the lines of "this has now been (added/dealt with) (not at all/partially/completely)"?  Seems like it might be a good idea, and will help keep the thread up-to-date as suggestions are added or become obsolete (for whatever reason).
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: April 15, 2009, 04:21:34 pm »

I've been tinkering with the idea of abandoning UD when the new version comes out, and instead running one solely on worldgen formations (as in terrain, rivers, building placements etc). That would likely include a serious overlap with an above-ground diversity list.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: April 15, 2009, 09:13:12 pm »

It's really not a bad idea, objectively, but I hope Othob Rithol will atleast ask Barbarossa the Seal God how he feels about it. It doesn't really seem fair to create something that will so obviously take away from the closest thing UD has to real competition, when both posts are useful generators of separate ideas.

Yes, the two concepts might work together more smoothly than apart, and allow for the better development of "meta-ideas", but there's something to be said for having two "camps", each with a slightly different outlook.

What I'd really like to see is a thread devoted to mythological/supernatural/magical, and just unearthly, geography, that might occur in a fantasy world. That holds a lot of interest for me, and I think it would be helped by a great deal of "ironing out" and balancing (of opinions) in a major thread. If someone wanted to do that, I would fully support it.
For they would be your masters.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: April 16, 2009, 12:22:35 am »

I got one for you;

Heaven.

After all, dwarves are creatures of the earth, it would make sense that any afterlife they believe in (unless they worship the god of the sky I suppose) would be deep underground. This would also explain in part why the demons were chained beneath the earth; as the saying goes, keep your friends close, your tentacle demons closer.

In game, this would basically result in another form of the glowing pits, but rather than being surrounded by adamantium, the interior would be filled with some sort of wondorous (read expensive) material.

Opening the pearly gates would have no negative effect initially, but if you decided to grab the treasure, all hell (in a manner of speaking) would break loose. Leaving the pits open and unpillaged (or maybe, removing the guardians) however, would allow the dwarves to interact with their deceased. E.g. those that lost their loved ones would get happy thoughts, something like "Urist has been comforted by his mother's spirit lately", whereas deceased grudges would yield "Urist was haunted by his old foe recently".

I hate to bring up an old point, but I had a really good idea(I hope).

What about for dwarves who have had friends/family die, they could recieve a big happiness bonus. The rest of the fort would receive a mediumish happy bonus, with the exception of those whose enemies are dead(then they get negative thoughts).

As time goes on, the dwarves who were friends with someone who died spend more and more time at the 'veil', talking with their deceased loved one. Bigger and bigger happiness bonuses result, with the dwarf working faster. Your happy with this until one day, you notice Urist the miner isn't there! You search around for him and finally find him in 'heaven'. Dwarves who have happy memories of lost loved ones/friends should become eager to join them, until they eventually cross the veil and live with them forever.

Walling off heaven would result in a negative thought roughly equal to the happiness bonus the dwarves were receiving, with potential of dwarves who were close to joining their loved ones comitting suicide.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: April 16, 2009, 12:52:58 am »

I thought it might be interesting to include a "heaven" and angelic type beings to the game to balance out the glowing pits we have now, but not even the latter is really fleshed out all that well.

HFS Spoliers, as if nobody hasn't had it spoiled already...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maybe off-topic but certainly the underworld and its deizens could be balanced out by a heaven sort of place, perhaps on the tops of the inaccessible mountain peaks like Mt. Olympus filled with God-like supernaturals, like Titans were in mythology.

If there was some underground heaven place, most players would be compelled to kill off its deizens, annex the place, engrave pictures of cheese and squares everywhere and add it to their fortress value, and exploit and profit from it however they can, like they do other features in the game. You'd have a bunch of threads pop up like "Whats the best trap system to kill the angels? They have such valuable bones, and I'm building a tower out of angel-tallow soap"

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: April 16, 2009, 01:15:03 am »

I believe we're getting a major HFS update in the next release, so that might answer some of those questions, or just render them obsolete.

As far as death in DF is concerned: I definitely would like something mythological (there's that word again), with dead dwarfs, etc, simply making a transition to another "world"/plane of existence, with the possibility (epic) of someday returning/reincarnating?

As they die, or are killed, in each "world", they could be reborn in whole, healthy bodies, in the next "world", unless somehow soul-trapped. 

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: April 16, 2009, 01:45:00 am »

I think the new HFS mentioned is going to be human zombie-filled ruins (most likely) and those big cavern systems Toady posted that are going to be filled with (i'm assuming) infinite populations of the same ol' chasm creatures we know and love that wonder in from the map edges as a sort of adaptation of the old 2d version's chasm.

More bones for my bonecarver and more bolts for my marksdwarves is the end result of infinite chasm creatures, which is always a good thing.

I suppose once the magic arc is set up I can see Adv mode excursions into the afterworld but I'm not sure how it could be implimented well in Fortress mode.

Some mythological sort of place on the highest mountain peaks would be a nice Valhalla for Dwarves to go when they die in your failed mega projects, but then again, I think that would be a fairly low priority to impliment since you are not supposed to be able to embark there and traveling there by adv mode is nigh impossible.

I'm sure the developer has interesting stuff planned for his ideas with mythological and religious spheres and what have you.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: April 16, 2009, 07:56:19 am »

I thought it might be interesting to include a "heaven" and angelic type beings to the game to balance out the glowing pits we have now, but not even the latter is really fleshed out all that well.

Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: April 16, 2009, 08:23:51 am »

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: April 16, 2009, 09:21:23 am »

Spoiler: General concept (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Specific HFS ideas (click to show/hide)
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: April 16, 2009, 10:16:44 am »

I believe we're getting a major HFS update in the next release, so that might answer some of those questions, or just render them obsolete.

As far as death in DF is concerned: I definitely would like something mythological (there's that word again), with dead dwarfs, etc, simply making a transition to another "world"/plane of existence, with the possibility (epic) of someday returning/reincarnating?

As they die, or are killed, in each "world", they could be reborn in whole, healthy bodies, in the next "world", unless somehow soul-trapped. 
So, hypothetically, it would be possible for a dwarf, letīs call himm Agrajag, to arrive in one of your forts in one world, get violently murdered because you were doing a hermit challenge, then be reborn in antoehr, and get used as cannon fodder to keep a tentacle demon busy, and then be reborn into your underocean fort, and die in flooding once that skeletal shark bashes a hole in one of the windows...

I approve.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: April 16, 2009, 10:27:02 am »

I would enjoy running or bumping into a giant-ant-hive with a Queen in its middle, maybe even with a own food supply (some mushroom i guess) witch you can take out or steal to lure them into traps. Would also be nice if they donīt just "blindly" charge at you, but instead only attack when you enter there territory or if they have to much units.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: April 16, 2009, 11:33:28 am »

I really like the different HFS depending on what's inside.

Maybe make it so that it's not always adamantine. Maybe make it so that the "wealth HFS" is surrounded by gold and platinum veins...
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: April 16, 2009, 12:39:01 pm »

Spoiler: General concept (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Specific HFS ideas (click to show/hide)
Not to disparage your efforts, but let's not turn this into an easter egg hunt. Why would these gods all put some stuff and creatures in airtight bubbles in random mountains?
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: April 16, 2009, 12:51:10 pm »

Maybe, at the beginning of the game, there aren't any gods? Maybe they've all been userped and trapped underground by some avatar of Apathy, and our dwarfs--the souls of determination and perfectionism--are the ones chosen to free them from their earthly cages.

The HFS might exist as tormenters of the fallen gods.

Once the HFS is unlocked, and the god inside freed, Religion could open up.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46