Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 136263 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Diversity
« Reply #600 on: March 19, 2009, 08:54:20 am »

Something alive down there must be making that miasma cloud that pours from the depth on a regular basis.

Yep, vermin caught in cave spider webs. First they die, then they rot, and then they smell.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 19, 2009, 08:57:17 am »

Nah, I had at least one Bottomless pit where the miasma regularly spawned at the bottom Z-level from the pit tiles themselves.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 19, 2009, 03:19:14 pm »

Stinky pit? Were you dumping refuse down there?
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 19, 2009, 03:48:14 pm »

Stinky pits might be solved by putting enough soap in them ;)
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 19, 2009, 05:05:36 pm »

Stinky pits might be solved by putting enough soap in them ;)
I now have a mental image of a Cthulhu being kept from waking up by constantly being knocked out by bars of soap.

Cthulu, cosmic horror, cancels Awake: Interupted by soap.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: March 19, 2009, 10:48:19 pm »

Something alive down there must be making that miasma cloud that pours from the depth on a regular basis.

Yep, vermin caught in cave spider webs. First they die, then they rot, and then they smell.

Nah, I had at least one Bottomless pit where the miasma regularly spawned at the bottom Z-level from the pit tiles themselves.

I've had the same thing happen. My guess is a combination of dead vermin and the "flying object" bug.

Concerning cthonic/underdark influences - I stated a while back I would not be plagiarizing non-DF sources anymore. To some extent we do have some elements already there, however (like the DEEP_MAGMA Biome in the Magma section). Maybe if someone were to dig through Three Toe's fiction and find a few monster ideas.

Concerning Underground Water - We've got a lot of that already mentioned in various entries in the rather well developed Water section. Another entry might be needed. It'd help if someone would collect all the key "make underground water like surface water" points into one post (so I can link directly to it from the front page).

My personal take is that the world water system should be completely unified. Underground springs create surface brooks which flow into streams, which may dip underground into a cave lake. Or an underground river might bust out a cliff face to make a surface waterfall, only to fall into a surface lake that feeds a surface river (which goes to the oceans) but also floods a chain of small tunnels that eventually cascade into an underground lake, that feeds a major cave river surrounded by a lush fungal cavern (fertilized by the yearly floods) before dumping into the great undersea (a vast world spanning ocean only penetrated by islands of magma columns and the ocassional HFS).

@Sweetix: Eruptions are both already on the list, and in the dev notes - I won't be adding any more details like the ones you mentioned...it isn't underground and is game mechanics, and I think it would be far better to have a unique thread about it when/if Toady starts adding it.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 19, 2009, 10:58:25 pm »

Othob: "Chthonic" refers to the Greek meaning of the word, actually.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chthonic
For they would be your masters.

Pure_W

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 23, 2009, 11:22:11 am »

Bump!

Don't let this die people!!!

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 23, 2009, 01:28:48 pm »

Bump!

Don't let this die people!!!

Worry not, this thread doesn't die.  It's the most majorly successful suggestions thread ever (more than twice as many views as any other non-stickied thread).  The reason people don't post in it much any more is because there's not much left to add.  Even if the thread should fall off the front page, someone who thinks of a good idea will bring it back to say so, and they should.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 23, 2009, 02:25:57 pm »

Something else that would be nice to see would be subtypes of major critters in the game--different types of GCS, maybe a breed of smaller, underground dragon that possibly hunts in packs, or formerly surface critters that have ended up in the underground, and evolved to meet the conditions there.

Some species of carnivorous underground ape would be nice, as would critters in general-besides bats-that hunt with echolocation, either blind ones, or ones with poor eyesight.

Snakes, it's believed, originally evolved to live underground, but then came back to the surface. Maybe some different types of them are still down there?

Some dwarf subtypes would actually be nice to encounter, or even to play in the game. Possibly some primitive types that you could re-educate, and incorporate into your Fortress. Others might be indifferent, hostile, or simply bizarre.

Some fungal-based "ent" creatures would be good, especially as a nasty intelligent predator--to move away from the peaceful D&D myconid.

Also, for the underground, how about giant moles bred for hunting, and to sniff out the tunnelling units we'll hopefully be getting, someday?

Pure_W

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 23, 2009, 02:30:14 pm »

Something else that would be nice to see would be subtypes of major critters in the game--different types of GCS, maybe a breed of smaller, underground dragon that possibly hunts in packs, or formerly surface critters that have ended up in the underground, and evolved to meet the conditions there.

Some species of carnivorous underground ape would be nice, as would critters in general-besides bats-that hunt with echolocation, either blind ones, or ones with poor eyesight.

Snakes, it's believed, originally evolved to live underground, but then came back to the surface. Maybe some different types of them are still down there?

Some dwarf subtypes would actually be nice to encounter, or even to play in the game. Possibly some primitive types that you could re-educate, and incorporate into your Fortress. Others might be indifferent, hostile, or simply bizarre.

Some fungal-based "ent" creatures would be good, especially as a nasty intelligent predator--to move away from the peaceful D&D myconid.

Also, for the underground, how about giant moles bred for hunting, and to sniff out the tunnelling units we'll hopefully be getting, someday?

Me thinks that is coming in a future update, known as castes.
Should be buiried in TNFOTF :P

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 23, 2009, 02:45:23 pm »

TNOTF?

The Not Original Tree Faerie?
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 23, 2009, 02:50:41 pm »

Yeah, and I'm excited about that, but I don't know-and can't really speculate-what all it will entail. Inter-species differentiation it'll probably cover, yeah(that to me is what the term "castes" would imply), but not necessarily different species, or different subspecies within the same "kingdom".

Some creature randomization is apparently slated, but I'm not even finding anything specifically about "castes". I know it's been talked about a lot, but I haven't been able to find the specifics in the updates (and believe me, I've looked).

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 23, 2009, 02:51:21 pm »

TNOTF?

Acronyms are the evil that lurks in the heart of men...

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 23, 2009, 03:14:44 pm »

TNOTF?

Acronyms are the evil that lurks in the heart of men...
This one means The New Future Of the Fort, I think.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 46