Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 136226 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Diversity
« Reply #540 on: February 28, 2009, 06:20:32 am »

There's a specific thread about it, though. Can't recall which one.

Edit:

Non-mountainous / Above-ground features

« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:48:34 pm by Silverionmox »
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: February 28, 2009, 07:40:41 pm »

I've been tinkering with the idea of abandoning UD when the new version comes out, and instead running one solely on worldgen formations (as in terrain, rivers, building placements etc). That would likely include a serious overlap with an above-ground diversity list.

Faces of Mu

• Bay Watcher
  • I once saw a baby ghost...but it was just a tissue
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 01, 2009, 12:33:17 am »

Ah, thanks for the link, Silverionmox! My own search attempt neglected the hyphen.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 01, 2009, 09:40:21 pm »

I have an idea: what about the mountainheart in good mountains? Maybe they could cause good thoughts and events to happen when they are mined out. and what would happen on a mountain with both one of the elder things and a giant burrowing creature? Great A'Tuin cancels worship Thing: Hungry
Thing, Elder one has been struck down
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 01, 2009, 09:45:15 pm »

I recently made an AG diversity topic  :P

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 01, 2009, 10:28:46 pm »

I recently made an AG diversity topic  :P
And it's a good one too, if rather limited for my taste (which I understand the reasons for, but it kind of makes me hope that someone will start a third one that will deal with magical (fantastical) geography/geology, sometime down the line)
For they would be your masters.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 01, 2009, 10:35:53 pm »

Well, I'd rather it be about improving the mundane above ground world than about creating semi-impossible geological features and oceans made of lizard pee and blubber.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 01, 2009, 11:04:59 pm »

And you're entirely right to do so. I don't have an issue with that. I'm just saying that there should be a place for things that would only exist in a fantasy world--DF being set *in* a fantasy world.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 02, 2009, 07:40:44 am »

@othob rithol -

i like your idea about the general worldgen feature thread. it feels a little like we have allready talked the death out of the underground, and we cant keep suggesting new things till we find out exactly what toady is sticking in the next version. in addition, a lot of things that have come up have had to be excluded as they do not fit the underground.

also, you have done an awesome job organizing and policing this thread. much appreciated.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 03, 2009, 03:20:48 pm »

Speaking of Mountain Hearts and such, we could have Troll/Trog Kingdoms deep in the mountains.
Essentially giant caves containing absurdly large buildings that either contain living civilised troll/trogs that may prove either hostile or friendly depending on our friend the RGN, or empty halls with a few degenerate descendents remaining.
Trade should be possible, indeed, opening it up could allow you to reveal this lost race to the world once more if they don't combust in sunlight.
I realise that this is actually quitwe unlikely, but cool nonetheless.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 03, 2009, 05:06:33 pm »

I like the idea of the trolls who fight alongside goblins, being a degenerate race. Maybe the lowest order of troll?

That way, other varieties of troll could exist, with unknown strengths, abilities, skills, etc. keeping things unpredictable.

Maybe if you discover the "long lost kingdom of the trolls", you start getting the reverse of the current situation, where smarter trolls are seiging you, and leading hordes of goblins.

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 03, 2009, 05:38:14 pm »

Perhaps the goblins eventually and imperceptibly grow into trolls... or perhaps they are merely yet another, more ingrained conquest of their kidnapping enterprises?
In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 03, 2009, 06:51:33 pm »

I kind of like the idea of trolls having been the original empire, having been overtaken/supplanted/replaced by goblins, when some sort of cataclysm or other event degraded the trolls (or just separated the lesser trolls from the ubertrolls), and then with the possibility of the ubertrolls coming back and reclaiming what was originally theirs.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 04, 2009, 04:40:52 pm »

I kind of like the idea of trolls having been the original empire, having been overtaken/supplanted/replaced by goblins, when some sort of cataclysm or other event degraded the trolls (or just separated the lesser trolls from the ubertrolls), and then with the possibility of the ubertrolls coming back and reclaiming what was originally theirs.

Neat

Alternately, 1 in 100 gobbo's is born extra large and sterile.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 05, 2009, 03:33:02 pm »

Alternately, 1 in 100 gobbo's is born extra large and sterile.

That'll be possible to mod in the next version, I think.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 46