Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 133283 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Diversity
« Reply #450 on: January 07, 2009, 07:26:44 am »

Penguin, that's not what I was thinking. You don't know you're mining into a turtle until you wake it up by mining into it's internal workings. Not sure if I like the rope ladders, though.
You have struck a layer of Giant Turtle Shell!
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 07, 2009, 11:46:46 am »

no comment

just.... no comment

Thnikkafan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 07, 2009, 03:03:57 pm »

Penguin, that's not what I was thinking. You don't know you're mining into a turtle until you wake it up by mining into it's internal workings. Not sure if I like the rope ladders, though.
You have struck a layer of Giant Turtle Shell!

"You have struck Giant Turtle Shell!"
"Turtlos Morasshide awakens!"

Yeah, like that. Maybe show finding a turtle in Legends"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 07, 2009, 03:18:28 pm »

no comment

just.... no comment

What, you're not going to add giant sleeping turtles to the OP?  You tyrant!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 07, 2009, 03:36:31 pm »

You know, if you consider that they might be the remains of fossilized giant turtles/tortoises, finding pieces of the shell in a layer of rock, as a mineable rock, would actually be pretty special.
For they would be your masters.

tigrex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 07, 2009, 04:26:33 pm »

I want to build a castle on its back and have a mobile fortress!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 07, 2009, 04:33:44 pm »

We all want that, we want it more than sex, wealth, and immortality, but it just might not be feasable. I hope it is with all my burning soul, but that would be up to Toady and Threetoe, and even if they included it, it might take a huge amount of time and effort, that could take away from the rest of the game.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 08, 2009, 06:43:46 am »

as unbeleivably awesome it would be to have your fort suddenly get up and go wandering away, to plonk down in new homes with new stuff to mine and new things to kill, i just dont see it making it into the game...

however, it would be great. imagine controlling your turtle (on land = tortoise?) by choosing a new place on the world map to plonk your fort. with associated random encounters along the way. you could stick yourself right next to a goblin fort and pillage it. then go stick yourself next to a dwarven or human civ and sell the proceeds for stacks of steel ignots and gems, or whatever it is you want. the world would be your oyster...

now that would be great. seriously, any kind of moveable fort would be great. even if your civ is just a nomadic bunch of barbarians with horses and wagons who has to plunder to gain resorces.... anyhow, off topic. someone go start a threat about this already.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 08, 2009, 01:32:17 pm »

Yeah as much as it has clearly been fun for all of you, building on giant tortoise back is really off topic. You should probably have your own, dedicated thread for such a...um... brilliant idea.

To keep in character with all other such requests in this thread*: Take your gobbo dung elsewhere!

*otherwise, if I was polite, some spineless nosy whiny sensitive members of this board might think I am being selective about who I rip into.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 08, 2009, 04:16:08 pm »

Yes, please start a thread about this. I'll post to it, anyway.

By the way, a little more OnT, but still "turtles all the way down": Is there currently any way to set the general shape of ore deposits? A more or less circular deposit of fossilized tortoise shell would be cool to see.

I think I've heard that it's not yet possible...but I really don't know.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 08, 2009, 04:31:16 pm »

^^^ The big deposits are pretty much always vaguely elliptical.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 08, 2009, 06:05:37 pm »

Well, hopefully in time, we'll see ores getting modeled in some kind of randomly generated fractal-type-method, but it would be nice to give the computer hints about what general shape it should go for, in individual ore Raws.

Pixelfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 15, 2009, 12:32:37 pm »

I noticed gremlins a few times..I thought I'd mention my ideas.

Give a flier tag that only works when they are within contact to a wall. Thus allowing npcs to 'climb'. This could be applied to most insects monsters and other critters as well so things would be a little more fearsom out of chasms.

Other things for gremlins (mischief tag?) to do:

Break craft items.
Topple furniture.
Take unattended children(or babies from sleeping parents) and ditch them in other locations(possibly inaccessible via walking?)
Throw pebbles from hiding spots and not go out of hiding, but anger dwarves.
Tip over barrels or bins.
Put vermin into barrels and bins.
Deface engravings.
"Rot" Crafts and aritectural features(like vermin only this will make the item less useful from all the gremlin shenanigans done to it)
Engrave slander "Engraved in a childish hand is an extremely poor image of Urist McSherif and a dog. The Dog is barking. Urist McSherif is soiling himself. This event relates to nothing at all"
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 01:49:18 pm by Pixelfish »

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 17, 2009, 01:34:37 am »

yeah, gremlins really are not that impressive in the current versions, though aparently they were crazy annoying in the 2d version (before my time) toady does have dev notes about bringing back the annoyance of gremlins from the days of old, and about making chasms harder again, and fixing up the isolation of creatures stuck on little chasm ledges.

i really like the idea of creatures like gremlins creating graffiti you can examine to upset your dwarves.

i really cant think of much more to add to this thread without going off topic that hasnt allready been discussed or added to the list. awesome job keeping track of it this long Othob rithol, i guess we must wait and see what ends up in the next version.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 17, 2009, 07:01:18 pm »

Caverns of living, pulsating flesh would be really cool, especially if your dwarfs started trying to guess what kind of creature they'd dug in to, or maybe even started worshipping the unknown behemoth.

Oh and I really like the gremlin ideas. It's always great to add more substance to an established creature.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 07:04:32 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 46