Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 136103 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Diversity
« Reply #345 on: December 09, 2008, 08:04:30 pm »

Craters would have to be pretty shallow - wider than deep, with large "shelves" as seen in the variable floors of bottomless pits and some underground magma pits.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 09, 2008, 08:12:27 pm »

Thinking the same thing.  Dot the rim and walls with nodules of native metals (iron, nickel, etc) and possibly rock crystal.  Mix all those ingredients together and you've got a fairly realistic crater.

Oh, and the possibility of a lake at the bottom.  Or maybe the actual meteor.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 09, 2008, 08:14:25 pm »

Thinking the same thing.  Dot the rim and walls with nodules of native metals (iron, nickel, etc) and possibly rock crystal.  Mix all those ingredients together and you've got a fairly realistic crater.

Oh, and the possibility of a lake at the bottom.  Or maybe the actual meteor.

A lake with the meteor inside it?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 09, 2008, 08:15:59 pm »

The crater.

Imagine draining a lake that formed in the well of a crater to get at the meteor.

Useful Megaproject?!?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 09, 2008, 08:20:37 pm »

I really like this idea.

To bring this idea back to the Underground aspect...I imagine that over time the actual meteor (with possible nifty metals included) could be buried under sediment. So finding a crater, with or without lake, might also mean digging around to try and find the meteor. Which may or may not actually exist, depending on how well it handling the crash landing.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 09, 2008, 09:29:30 pm »

Depending on where the meteor lands, it may cause effects to the local area. In desserts, the sand around the crash site may turn to glass, while forest may light on fire. Oceans/seas/lakes will boil, and kill the fish (and anything else in there).

While I'm posting I may as well give out some other ideas

Giant worms: I realize the burrowing creatures is already on the list, but i'm talking more about Humoungous Worms, i'm talking about Worms that you expect from a HP Lovecraft story, I'm talking worms that are so great in size that fixing the shape of your dining room is the least of your worrys. Worse if you were to dig into a dormint one's lair.

There is always Magma: If it's possible to dig deeper, it means that eventually you will run into magma. True, this means that you've dug straight through the earth's crust, but i'm sure that dwarfs have the beards to do it.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 09, 2008, 09:42:21 pm »

I should probably state now that Meteoric Iron isn't always supperior to ordinary Iron... It can sometimes be near useless.

Also Meteors HAVE to have something cool about them in Dwarf Fortess that normal ones do not... Space Megabeasts, Fallen Stars, Chunks of the night, something...

Id be somewhat disapointed if they remain entirely mundane.

On a side note: I hope it isn't called Meteoric Iron... I never liked the name

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 09, 2008, 09:44:14 pm »

yeah, I think the point is to base stuff not on reality, but different time periods perception of reality.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 09, 2008, 10:12:46 pm »

Depending on where the meteor lands, it may cause effects to the local area. In desserts, the sand around the crash site may turn to glass, while forest may light on fire. Oceans/seas/lakes will boil, and kill the fish (and anything else in there).

Giant worms: I realize the burrowing creatures is already on the list, but i'm talking more about Humoungous Worms, i'm talking about Worms that you expect from a HP Lovecraft story, I'm talking worms that are so great in size that fixing the shape of your dining room is the least of your worrys. Worse if you were to dig into a dormint one's lair.

There is always Magma: If it's possible to dig deeper, it means that eventually you will run into magma. True, this means that you've dug straight through the earth's crust, but i'm sure that dwarfs have the beards to do it.

Bottomless maps? I love the idea, though it'd be insane when they can drill through miles of magma, obsidianing them and going deeper and deeper, run into some demon, or possibly something more and more bizarre. Critters that can walk through solid walls?  ;D (Though there'd need to be some kind of support to keep the map from falling through the magma... maybe more variety of rocks formed from magma and adamanite rock columns? )

Dari

• Bay Watcher
  • I punt kobolds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 10, 2008, 03:58:10 am »

I should probably state now that Meteoric Iron isn't always supperior to ordinary Iron... It can sometimes be near useless.

Also Meteors HAVE to have something cool about them in Dwarf Fortess that normal ones do not... Space Megabeasts, Fallen Stars, Chunks of the night, something...

Id be somewhat disapointed if they remain entirely mundane.

On a side note: I hope it isn't called Meteoric Iron... I never liked the name

Alchemical properties perhaps? Could contain aether or some such archaic rubbish.
We could metroid prime it, and introduce some strange power to the region. Could be a reason for a region being evil/good. I'm thinking rocks suspended in mid-air.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2008, 04:01:38 am by Dari »
In case of death, coat in platinum, and worship as idol god.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 10, 2008, 05:29:18 am »

Bottomless maps? I love the idea, though it'd be insane when they can drill through miles of magma, obsidianing them and going deeper and deeper, run into some demon, or possibly something more and more bizarre. Critters that can walk through solid walls?  ;D (Though there'd need to be some kind of support to keep the map from falling through the magma... maybe more variety of rocks formed from magma and adamanite rock columns? )
The temperature should rise gradually, to the point where pouring water down the shaft is only good to generate steam (and killing FPS). Once below a certain level it's just random layers of gabbro anyway, so worldgen needn't be troubled by it.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 10, 2008, 12:15:56 pm »

Meteorite impacts often leave weird tektite rocks and stuff, often usable as gems, such as moldavite. Throwing these around the craters could make them more interesting.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

DarkCloud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 10, 2008, 02:56:41 pm »

Hm. I saw fossilized undead on the list, but what about fossils that dwarves can collect? Like statues, fossils could make dwarves enjoy the room to a greater degree.

Fossils could also be useful if Toady ever wanted to make an "evolution" arc, where the megabeasts evolve. Now that he has enabled more tags, for example, prehistoric dwarves could for example, have prehensile tails that disappear by the time the game starts, but the fossilized dwarves would still have the tails. (Has an 'evolution' arc been discussed in another thread?)

Dwarves could then take the fossils and use them for display in a museum.

For example, a fossilized megabeast could either be scavenged for bone fragments useful as aphrodesiacs, or useful for chair, or the beast's head could be mounted on the wall for a dwarf who particularly is attracted to historical items.
OR
For example, a preserved elf mummy-corpse, discovered in a tar pit, could be placed as decoration.

QuantumSawdust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 10, 2008, 03:17:15 pm »

Quicksand in deserts, or wet marsh biomes. Dwarves or animals who step over it will sink a few z-levels and suffocate. Potentially indicative of an underground sand pit (similar to an underground lake), which may house its own collection of monsters. Sand beasts that pull dwarves into the pit, or stage small raids to the fortress and retreat back into the pit. Perhaps if a pit is especially successful at eating animals and dwarves, it might have the capacity to expand. Eating into surrounding rock and replacing with quicksand, or resident sand worms might start to dig quicksand tunnels into all directions.
Some of that would require the implementation of stuff other people have mentioned though.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 10, 2008, 03:19:13 pm »

have sinkholes been mentioned?  I think they'd be a better emergent feature than hard coded though
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 46