Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 136085 times)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Diversity
« Reply #330 on: November 18, 2008, 06:39:15 pm »

Just out of curiosity, how common would these arkhenstones be? I couldn't honestly see more than one per mountain peak (the little ^'s in the midle of the ranges) being really justifiable.
Hell, it'd probably best just to make sure it's within X tiles of that peak, now that I think about it.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: November 19, 2008, 10:44:44 am »

Hmm, that's a good idea. The problem is, though, that you can't embark to such a location, at the moment, because it is all-mountain biome. Maybe if the heart was within 5 map tiles, a possible spot could be found, no idea how "wide" the mountains currently are.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: November 19, 2008, 01:28:32 pm »

That WOULD help to prevent this from being an exceedingly common thing.  Perhaps once embarking into a tunnel is allowed, this could be encountered should a tunnel pass close enough to being underneath the peak.  It could be encountered in adventure mode if someone climbs up a mountain and there just happens to be one of the planned interesting sites there... a temple that pierces down to the innards of the mountain.

I think the finding things like this is so much more valuable when it's random (and even unlikely) when it will surface.  It's one of the great things about a randomly-generated sandbox world.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2008, 01:58:21 pm »

Perhaps once embarking into a tunnel is allowed

Hell, I can't wait until your parent civ sends you off to colonize the depths of a chasm they discovered while expanding the mountainhomes.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #334 on: November 25, 2008, 11:17:27 am »

Fossils. The corpse of an old creature or dead megabeast could be uncovered, buried beneath layers of rock. Possibly undead?

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: November 26, 2008, 05:44:26 am »

Fossils. The corpse of an old creature or dead megabeast could be uncovered, buried beneath layers of rock. Possibly undead?

one of the earliest suggestions.

New Undead Encounters: One great suggestion was the possibility of digging up the fossilized remains of a long dead creature. This could have much higher DAMBLOCK than default skeletons. Other possible encounters include excavating a long forgotten tomb, or coming across a hidden city (maybe even an outpost of a civilization) inhabited by vampires or other sentient undead.

great minds think alike, no?

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 09, 2008, 03:14:28 pm »

I didn't see this one yet.

Craters/Meteor fragments:

Could be large(fortress sized) or tiny.  Imagine building an entire inside the rim of an ancient crater out of meteoric Iron.  Not to mention the possibilities meteoric Iron could add when magic shows up. 

If you don't want to go such large-scale, how about smaller fragments (ie: Native Aluminum pocket sized)?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: December 09, 2008, 03:18:38 pm »

^^^ That's a really cool idea, even though it's not necessarily underground.  Could be a world gen event.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: December 09, 2008, 03:48:57 pm »

star metal....  Playing adventure mode, you find a legend (In the year 252, ArgleBorgle the Comet struck the earth.  It was interpretted as a harbringer of things to come).

Curious, you track down the site by asking various peoples about it and triangulating.

Finally making your way to the site, you find a crater filled with a strange glowing green metal, surounded by a goblin fortress.

You kill the goblins and take a small fortune of the star metal to sell. (along with exceptional star metal weapons that do ice damage or whatnot).

Later, you choose to send an expedition to embark on the site.

(What'll really happen:  "Why can't I use the site finder to find a site with Starmetal, HFS, Magma, Sand, a River, and a Chasm....  The game isn't worth playing unless the site has it all!!!")

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 09, 2008, 03:52:45 pm »

Well, eventually I'd hope that there are so many interesting things that can be found that no site COULD contain it all. Which should cut down on that at least somewhat.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 09, 2008, 04:09:47 pm »

Getting resources from craters would be nifty, but hell, I'd be happy if the game just included huge millennia-old impact sites like Ngorongoro Crater, which could have crater lakes or unusual biomes (due to their dramatic geography) or whatever.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 09, 2008, 04:22:48 pm »

and mentioned in that other thread were biological features.  Large, whole section features representing plants or animals that provide a unique set of resources.

I.E. the sarlack, or giant trees or even just a gigantic underground brain

Caffienatedjedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 09, 2008, 05:44:49 pm »

Yes, but it probably can't be mentioned enough.

Mutant giant cave spiders FTW!
Unholy Armok!!! horrifying scenario realised.

The radioactive giant cave spider bites you in the arm.
It is mutated!
You have become Giantcavespiderdwarf.
The radioactive giant cave spider notices your male radioactive giant cave spiderness.
You are dragged to the radioactive giant cave spiders lair and forcibly bred with the radioactive giant cave spider.
The radioactive giant cave spider in impregnated!
You are devoured!

Huff! Huff!
Radioactive giant cave spider is a mouthful
By that logic, wagons are the gods of war.

Retro42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 09, 2008, 06:43:50 pm »

Ditto Footkercheif.  How could a giant crater with a small lake in the center not be a sweet site.  Any resources involved would be a bonus.

I can help picturing a Land of the Lost scenario now that I think about...

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 09, 2008, 07:58:59 pm »

I'll add in a new category : Surface Features

I really think that a crater and meteoric iron are an excellent idea to add in, but they aren't exactly underground.

I'm doing this because I really don't think UD will have a second run (at least by me). Instead I'm planning to run another managed list based solely around map features. No creatures, no encounters, no plants etc : just worldgen feature templates like chasms, HFS, caverns, and water formations. I think this would be of more use to Toady than just waving the cave kudzu flag again (my favorite set of entries btw).

Since the first draft of the "New Map Features" thread will be drawn from the UD list, I want to get the crate in before it is lost.

Note: added craters and re-added heart of the mountain (which must have been lost during an edit)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 08:10:55 pm by Othob Rithol »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 46