Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 136082 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Top10 Underground Diversity Discussion
« Reply #165 on: August 28, 2008, 11:09:46 am »

Consequence... Not trying to be a snot, but that's painful.

but yeah, discussed before, and still a brilliant idea.

Angry Lawyer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Angry-Lawyer.com
« Reply #166 on: August 28, 2008, 11:21:24 am »

How about a gem cave? Walls and floors lined with gems of many colours, and piles of them lying on the floor. It would be a marvel to behold, and worth a fortune. Though, I don't think any of the extra rare gems should appear..
You mean, like, this?

-Angry Lawyer

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 28, 2008, 02:01:42 pm »

But prettier!
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 28, 2008, 02:16:39 pm »

I like the super HFS idea, but I think it would be better to improve the current HFS, than introducing a new one. It's actually quite rare to "accidentally" find HFS, and it doesn't make sense to make an even rarer one, because it would only make it harder for the "cheaters", but would make no difference for regular players.

I also think the HFS should be completely enclosed in adamantium. Also, the HFSers should be able to break down all constructions, except those made of adamantium.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 28, 2008, 03:17:10 pm »

Uugh, I think permanent stone is kind of crass. A better solution would be:

-"stone density / hardness" eg: Granite is tougher than limestone.
-"stone integrity" A harder concept, but surface limestone that has suffered weathering is easier to mine than oh say granite under pressure with no fractures in it.

Instead of permanent stone, caverns could do the same thing-- If you mine down into a multi z-level cave (maybe with lake) you have to go around. The same goes for magma. Not super realistic, but better than permanent stone.

Also stricter rules about cave-ins could be implemented, and if you drive a hole straight down there should be a chance for "Rock Bursts" then "Collapse", with passage blocking rubble as opposed to rocks.

Rock Bursts:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_burst

My dad worked in a mine for 15 years-- He had friends die. This was in a modern Canadian mine. He still has nightmares.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 28, 2008, 03:25:36 pm »

Oh, i can't believe I forgot this one. Geodes! There are amethyst geodes in museums that are big enough for humans to walk into.

Imagine breaking into one as a miner. Gems galore.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 28, 2008, 03:30:16 pm »

-"stone integrity" A harder concept, but surface limestone that has suffered weathering is easier to mine than oh say granite under pressure with no fractures in it.

Instead of permanent stone, caverns could do the same thing-- If you mine down into a multi z-level cave (maybe with lake) you have to go around. The same goes for magma. Not super realistic, but better than permanent stone.

Also stricter rules about cave-ins could be implemented, and if you drive a hole straight down there should be a chance for "Rock Bursts" then "Collapse", with passage blocking rubble as opposed to rocks.

Rock Bursts:

My dad worked in a mine for 15 years-- He had friends die. This was in a modern Canadian mine. He still has nightmares.

Good link... This fulfills the 'don't dig too deep, it's naturally dangerous' problem. (need/requirement/desire, whatever)

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 28, 2008, 03:34:31 pm »

Rock Bursts:

Good link... This fulfills the 'don't dig too deep, it's naturally dangerous' problem. (need/requirement/desire, whatever)

Agreed, and it might also dovetail nicely with a new cave-in mechanism (which in itself also helps hinder digging too deep).
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 28, 2008, 03:46:16 pm »

About Geodes and Crystals Caves: you'll find them near the bottom of the first list under "Geodes"...I expanded out the potential size (this is fantasy afterall)...so they could end up as cave-size. I will add the link to crystal caves in there. Thx Angry Lawyer.

The original Hell biome entry is still in there, just renamed. Once you start talking about a portal to hell, you are no longer talking about the underground.

Instead of trying to remake the current HFS to fit out fantasies...real diversity would be found by developing new types of HFS. A good example was the trapped fire spirit found under "Urist Rogers in the 4th Century!!!".

Rock Bursts are going in, with link, and being lumped with earthquakes (already there) and probably getting melded with unstable rock. I'm still trying to condense similar ideas into categories or entries.

The permanent rock idea is a bit unrealistic. I agree the way to simulate that is with the rock hardness suggestion. Some rocks should just require a legendary miner using a masterwork steel pick to mine.

"Urist McNoobminer cancels dig: unable to scratch surface"

To get the "permanent rock" feel, small clusters of these hard rocks could be scattered through all the z-levels. Late game you can clear them out, but early you'd have to dig around at least one.

Speaking of cave-ins korora - I have not been following the two cave-in threads much. I plan to read them and dovetail what we can, but does any one have an unbiased summary?

Edit: For legibility and correctness: feel free to suggest alterations in the groupings and point out spelling, punctuations and grammatical errors. The list has grown so much (and is so hard to see with all the tags) that I am likely to miss some really good way to improve it. I will always be trying to chop the big "general list" into smaller pieces to avoid the tldr mentality.

edit: I want to advertise a non-UD, but related game mechanic thread: A Consolidated Soil / Rock system (and Rubble)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 05:42:09 pm by Othob Rithol »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 28, 2008, 08:26:02 pm »

Othob Rithol, I wanted to compliment you on a kickass thread.  Seriously... If you guys haven't looked at the top lately, go back and do it.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 29, 2008, 02:26:43 pm »

The only thing I'll take credit for is the compiling, editing and pretty-color-making. Since I didn't put all of your names next to each and every suggestion you made, I can't take credit for mine own. Just be happy to know we may have made the best DF suggestion thread ever.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 29, 2008, 02:50:19 pm »

The only thing I'll take credit for is the compiling, editing and pretty-color-making.

yeah, no, that's the bit I'm talking about.  I'm not even really thrilled with half the suggestions up there, but it looks hellah cool and is well laid out and readable.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 31, 2008, 08:01:59 am »

How about bringing back the magma rivers of old?

From wikipedia:
Lava tubes are formed when an active low-viscosity lava flow develops a continuous and hard crust,which thickens and forms a roof above the still-flowing lava stream. Tubes form in one of two ways: by the crusting over of lava channels, and from pahoehoe flows where the lava is moving under the surface.
Apparently these are only found very near the surface, but volcanism isn't really all that realistically handled anyway.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 31, 2008, 09:48:25 am »

How about bringing back the magma rivers of old?

From wikipedia:
Lava tubes are formed when an active low-viscosity lava flow develops a continuous and hard crust,which thickens and forms a roof above the still-flowing lava stream. Tubes form in one of two ways: by the crusting over of lava channels, and from pahoehoe flows where the lava is moving under the surface.
Apparently these are only found very near the surface, but volcanism isn't really all that realistically handled anyway.

done.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 02, 2008, 03:59:57 pm »

I hate double posting (for any reason) and I hate someone bumping their own thread, but as Toady has written on the development log:

09/01/2008: First day of the month slow as usual. I'm still digging myself out from the post-vacation pile. I'll probably be fixing bugs for a few days while I decide how to approach military restructuring and the first pass on underground changes.
(yellow added  ::) )

I wanted to get this list back at the top in case anyone had any last minute additions that might inspire him.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 46