Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 136083 times)

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Top10 Underground Diversity Discussion
« Reply #150 on: August 27, 2008, 02:30:40 am »

Hmmm, maybe the precious ore abundancy could be remedied by making mining skill progress slower and by implementing different chances for different rocks to produce a boulder. Rock like native platinum would need quite the mining skill to produce a platinum boulder, otherwise it would just rend an empty tile.
Or is this too far from reality to still be fun?
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 27, 2008, 05:07:37 am »

How about a gem cave? Walls and floors lined with gems of many colours, and piles of them lying on the floor. It would be a marvel to behold, and worth a fortune. Though, I don't think any of the extra rare gems should appear..
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 27, 2008, 07:45:46 am »

Rock like native platinum would need quite the mining skill to produce a platinum boulder, otherwise it would just rend an empty tile.
Or is this too far from reality to still be fun?

That's not the problem. With this idea, a whole vein of platinum could be mined out without any gain for the fortress if a migrant miner takes the job instead of your legendary +4 miner, which would be quite frustrating. We would need an option allowing only dwarves  skilled enough for extracting X% of a vein to work on it.
But it'd be nice with something like this.

Onion Knight

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 27, 2008, 11:21:48 am »

^^
it would also be cool to be able to tell your legendary miner to 'mine out the entire vein of x'

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 27, 2008, 11:44:31 am »

As their is already a system in place to control who uses a workshop (both individual dwarfs and by skill level), the simplest thing would be to make a mining designation have the same kind of interface so it can be tuned in this way.  This has the benefit of allowing other mining activities to continue simultaneously while not bothering the player 99% of the time as the default will be to allow all miners as dose a workshop by default.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 27, 2008, 12:47:14 pm »

As their is already a system in place to control who uses a workshop (both individual dwarfs and by skill level), the simplest thing would be to make a mining designation have the same kind of interface so it can be tuned in this way.  This has the benefit of allowing other mining activities to continue simultaneously while not bothering the player 99% of the time as the default will be to allow all miners as dose a workshop by default.

But the system in place requires a 'q'-able building... If you used it for designation, which tiles would it apply to? Only the one you selected?  All connected designations?  How would you select a designation?  Do you choose the level when you designate, or afterwards? There are a ton of UI issues you're ignoring. 

I think an easier solution (both for the player and in terms of UI) would be to specify a min/max skill level for each type of stone in the economic stone screen, rather than for certain tiles.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 27, 2008, 12:56:02 pm »

I think an easier solution (both for the player and in terms of UI) would be to specify a min/max skill level for each type of stone in the economic stone screen, rather than for certain tiles.
That's more something like that I was thinking about.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 27, 2008, 01:28:28 pm »

Hey I love the traffic people, but can we stay on topic?  :P

Sprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 27, 2008, 11:01:01 pm »

How about a 'Super HFS' (referring to the current HFS) that has a sort of a large 'sphere' of adamantine which, deep in it's center, contains an entrance to Hell. (or whatever, maybe the DF equivalent is Happy Elf And Giant Spider Land) If you breached this entrance, in addition to the usual demon onslaught, you would release a 'megademon', basically a powerful demon megabeast. It would attempt to destroy you fortress, (most likely succeeding, seeing as how it should have an artifact weapon of some sort genned in world gen) and if successful, would turn your Dwarf Fortress into a Demon Fortress. This would slowly corrupt the land around it, turning it into a special 'hell' biome where demon creatures roamed. Unstopped, it would eventully swallow most of the world.

Of course, if you managed to keep your fort safe somehow, (demons should be able to tunnel, so no 1-tile wall keeping you safe!) the entrance to hell could be utilized by adventurers to access a special world, a Hell World which would be a twisted copy of the world above, with demon civilizations, demon rabbits, demon GCS, etc.

If you could actully manage to take out the demon megabeast, and maybe a source of power somewhere in hell, you could seal off the hellportal, shrinking the hell biome, but trapping your adventurer in an inhospitible biome.

Of course, if your adventuring party contained members of the opposite gender, I suppose it would be feasible to establish a fortress and stuff. :)

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 28, 2008, 04:09:02 am »

Dig deep enough and you will eventually break through the ceiling of hell? Sounds like fun, but it shouldn't apply everywhere. Supposedly the demons are encased in adamantine prisons. We find these under mountains right? But its sort of strange to have demons under every single one.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 28, 2008, 08:52:03 am »

Well, say you breach the portal to hell?  Why not force the player to build a semi-artifact 'magic seal' hatch cover out of the adamantium in order to seal it up.  Until you do, you get sieges of demons every year.

If you fail... Well, demons rush out into the world killing everybody.  If you finished the hatch but still failed?  Well, your world is screwed until you take an adventurer in, fight past the demons, and install the damned (undamned?  holy?) thing yourself.  If it's not, start another fortress, find adamantium, build it, then send an army to the sight.  All the time, you'd be getting sieged by demons (Think hard mode for the people who think the game is too easy!)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2008, 09:23:23 am »

It makes no sense that the adamantium is necessary to imprison demons: the edges of their caves usually consist only partially of adamantium. They could get out easily if they needed to. Secondly, they make engravings in the adamantium floor. So, it's definitely not too hard.

I rather think of adamantium as rock impregnated with the essence of tortured souls. Which means that there probably is a way to produce adamantium, but a heineous one.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 28, 2008, 09:59:58 am »

I rather think of adamantium as rock impregnated with the essence of tortured souls. Which means that there probably is a way to produce adamantium, but a heineous one.

I could still see players trying to get adamantium by torturing goblins, elves, humans or even dwarves. No matter how horrible it would be.

Sprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 28, 2008, 10:34:24 am »

The Super HFS would be like a normal HFS, exept not one on every map tile- maybe one per large mountain range.

The idea with adamantine is that it's a special substance that demons cannot pass due to it's magical properties or whatever. I think the dwarves are able to mine through it because they, well, aren't demons. The engravings are most likely made by the slaves in the HFS, and as for it not being completely encased, I belive that is simply a generation glitch and will be fixed eventully.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 28, 2008, 10:37:16 am »

There should be a stronger conciquence, at least for the world, for mining through Adamantium even if you destroy the demons there.

Though such as been suggested before...
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 46