Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 136119 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Top10 Underground Diversity Discussion
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2008, 02:42:00 pm »

Cookie to anyone that can tell me what my name means. My sig has clues.

Stupid Bellmud.

odd.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 18, 2008, 10:50:59 pm »

Thematics:
The rumblecap is a variety of underground mushroom equal in size and thickness to the towercap, but only found only in savage areas. It forms large colonies around a single massive stalk. Smaller stalks sprout from the roots of the main one, completely filling any cavern they are within, blocking passage with fungal growth. It's name steams from the fact that, when a rumblecap colony runs out of room to grow, it's growth will slowly crush rocks surrounding the cavern, causing rumbling and caveins when near mining opperations. Only by cutting down every last tree can the rumblecaps be removed.

Mechanics:
You have a cavern underground, about the width of a chasm. In it is a large number of rumblecaps, which look like purple towercaps and can be chopped down like towercaps to get wood. Every season, each rumblecap makes the following checks:

* Every rumblecap, rumblecap sapling has a 75% chance to spawn a rumblecap sapling on one empty tiles bordering it and a 25% chance not to grow anything. The sapling takes a year to grow. This makes grow quickly to fill any space, allowing you to get lots of wood underground, but with a chance of "flooding" your fortress with trees. Because flooding it with magma or water just isn't enough.

* If a mature rumblecap is next to a natural stone wall, there is a 25% chance for it to partially mine that wall, just like a miner only partially mines out walls if he gets interupted. This makes the rumblecaps slowly but steadily expand their caverns.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 18, 2008, 11:27:24 pm »

The idea with the pillar mushrooms is to have a reasonable excuse on why massive open underground spaces can exist. You will of course find many natural ones but those of epic size would be extremely rare without rigging the worldgen. Which of course is an option.

One problem is that vertically oriented spider webs would not look like much in ASCII. Even the horizontal ones never have enough room to be fully formed.
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2008, 12:21:58 pm »

Volcanic eruptions. This would go along well with "empty" pits. Just imagine settling near one of those, and suddenly lava starts rising out!

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2008, 02:53:13 pm »

I just had an amazing idea!

Mining downwards would be a lot harder if you have to move all the rock, instead of having them magically become boulders you can walk on!  Especially with gravity and the limit in weight dwarves can carry!

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Normandy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 19, 2008, 06:25:24 pm »

With all these new ideas for underground diversity, I would suggest another viewport in embark (or view mode), the 'underground'. This is where cave rivers/ponds, magma pipes/pools (not including vents that reach the surface), oil/gas deposits, caves that don't reach the surface, etc... anything else that is viewed as 'underground'.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 19, 2008, 06:48:51 pm »

But why would you be able to see that before you arrived? It's underground!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 19, 2008, 08:25:52 pm »

But why would you be able to see that before you arrived? It's underground!

It would have to be turned on in the site finder, I guess. Some people like to know.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 19, 2008, 08:47:06 pm »

Could the material strength/pick strength idea be added to the OP?

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 21, 2008, 09:49:01 pm »

Links to 2 long posts made.

The excavating plants added and Tamren's was linked as a start position for the discussion
I ONLY added in the rock hardness because it is often talked about and Toady mentioned dig speed when talking about UD. I really don't want this thread to be about game mechanics. Hence a more realistic "pile of stone" idea and the "underground embark" aren't up there. I like (and want) both but I want to keep this thread about the central topic. Getting derailed is WAY EASY. If you post a formal suggestion for them, please do advertise here (that goes for any UD related, but not UD, topic)

Cookie to Mephansteras...I also never realized that the word for noble was also made up of bell and mud...odd but somehow ironically fitting.

edit Aug 22 - added geodes
edit Aug 24 - added exposed aquifers as stolen from here.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:41:15 am by Othob Rithol »

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 25, 2008, 10:19:10 pm »

*Bump*

Didn't notice it elsewhere, so how about Kimberlite pipes (more accurate than the current veins)?
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 25, 2008, 10:57:22 pm »

The kimberlite we have now is more like an ore vein. Actual kimberlite pipes would be more like the magma vents, only solid kimberlite with a few diamonds scattered within. They are formed by the remnants of volcanoes or magma vents right?
Fear not the insane man. For who are you to say he does not percieve the true reality?

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 26, 2008, 01:17:48 am »

*Bump*

Didn't notice it elsewhere, so how about Kimberlite pipes (more accurate than the current veins)?

Blatant cheating. Thank You  8)

Kimberlite Pipes will be added, but it really seems like a minor tweak. In my 10 minutes of wiki research I could not find any other types of rock that show similar formations. Maybe if we did, then it would be reason enough for Toady to make a reality. Otherwise we get into a long string of minor corrections as to how minerals are deposited, what is found with what else, and other minutia.

Tamren

• Bay Watcher
  • Two dreams away
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 26, 2008, 01:49:57 am »

If anything ore deposits should be bigger and made 3d. Much like how the HFS is now with branching tendrils that span multiple Z levels.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 26, 2008, 07:21:11 am »

You know for the entire time I have been working on this thread, I have had the nagging feeling there was one really, really obvious one I had thought of one night before falling asleep. Thanks Tamren.

edit: while addin git I realized the idea needs to be fleshed out. In real life you clearly know when a vein continues above or below. Either the silver is now above you head, or is at your feet. There is no current equivalent in DF.

I think maybe you could get an announcement: _____ vein continues higher (or lower). But that seems really gamey. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 07:28:07 am by Othob Rithol »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46