Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 136243 times)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Diversity
« Reply #570 on: March 08, 2009, 06:02:50 am »

Yeah, I'm alright with none of those ideas being original to me.

It was kind of intended to be a meta-thread, since I was reading over the OP, and there's no actual section on darkness. Some suggestions for lighting etc. I think, but it seems like it would eventually become a much more important facet of the underground.

Sound too, maybe, especially considering that some critters may use echo-location.

Oh and I'm a big fan of Legend and The Mummy, so yeah, those are where I got the mirror idea from
(and the living darkness, for that matter--Who better to play HFS than Tim Curry?).
For they would be your masters.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: March 08, 2009, 07:23:50 am »

Hmmm, this living darkness thing might be useful. Currently, Dwarves seem to have infravision, so darkness doesn't unsettle them (because they still can see in perfect darkness). Maybe if darkness could have a presence of some kind, that might allow for neat psychological issues (paranoia, desperation, etc.).
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: March 08, 2009, 07:46:27 am »

Hmmm, this living darkness thing might be useful. Currently, Dwarves seem to have infravision, so darkness doesn't unsettle them (because they still can see in perfect darkness). Maybe if darkness could have a presence of some kind, that might allow for neat psychological issues (paranoia, desperation, etc.).

Might block infravision, or any light other than direct or reflected sunlight. It might even distort other senses. I'd personally want it to be an almost elemental substance of mystery and dread, if that makes any sense.

The idea is that it would be "darkness-as-substance", rather than "darkness-as-absence". Which I think would be of a lot of (subtle) thematic benefit, in a fantasy world.

After all, past say 30 years of age at the latest, how many people are really afraid of the dark-such as a dark room that's a known quantity-as opposed to what might be hiding in it?

At the same time, how many people have fears/superstitions associated with darkness?

If darkness is given some weight, suddenly that perception shifts, and a dark room is only just a dark room 99.99% of the time.

I think it would be great to have something in the game that really evokes the unknown/unknowable, especially underground. Most areas of darkness ofcourse would remain as they are in our Universe, but you'd occasionally encounter this enigma that, while it might not actually ever do something, could be capable of anything--and usually not anything good.
For they would be your masters.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: March 08, 2009, 09:09:51 am »

I wouldn't give it substance, though, just a presence. A presence that longs to dissolve all substance, actually. You know, if you stay in it's presence long enough, you might begin to fade away and merge your existence with the dark presence. It wouldn't be evil per se, just opposed to matter and light. Maybe almost the counterpart of existence, but still existing somehow.

It shouldn't block light on a physical level, but it might influence the mind. So a carried torch might seem to give off less light. All senses should be affected, your own speech might come from a far distance, movement might slow down, mere existence could become difficult, and finally, end. Fade to black.

Maybe call it the void? Certainly not original, but might work?

Also, how would it work ingame? Black tiles moving around like fog? What could you do against it?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 09:30:55 am by zagibu »
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: March 08, 2009, 04:36:52 pm »

Yes, Martin, crystal formations have come up a few times. I'll try to add your link into one of the entries where it fits best. Edit: it already was.

As far as mirrors/lighting/Tolkein troll petrification:

Lighting is as far as I recall either an arc or power goal already. It is also a big game mechanic issue. Since Footkerchief's thread explores it deeply, I won't be adding it here.

I'm slowly coalescing the various troll ideas into one entry. The big ideas I have seen (and like :P) are:
  • Aversion to (or petrification by) daylight (contingent on lighting arc)
  • The trolls amongst the goblin siege being slaves,kidnapped at birth, and/or degenerate
  • A higher, nastier race of trolls that live underground with a minor sprinkling of culture/technology.

I didn't like Granite's idea about 1 in 100 gobbos being born trolls, since that fails to explain (easily) how a cluster of 4-5 trolls can be found deep in a chasm far away from gobbo country. It also seems kinda sad to demote one of the original monster races to a subrace.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 05:15:02 am by Othob Rithol »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: March 08, 2009, 04:54:40 pm »

I think the petrification of trolls, if it is in at all, should be seasonal.  Aversion during the winter, petrification during the summer.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: March 08, 2009, 05:09:01 pm »

Iirc Tolkien and many Legends know more then one genus of troll. Only Cave- and forum-trolls petrified in sunlight if i my memory doesnt betray me.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: March 08, 2009, 05:15:38 pm »

BURN!!

So true, so true.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: March 08, 2009, 05:29:12 pm »

In Dark Legions the Action Strategy game. Trolls could turn into stone at will (and appear like an ordinary rock)

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: March 08, 2009, 06:46:37 pm »

In the Discworld books, Trolls are made of stone. Also, they hate dwarves and visa versa.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: March 08, 2009, 07:11:38 pm »

In Warcraft, trolls are agile and have funny accents.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: March 09, 2009, 05:14:31 am »

And in toy stores in the 1960s and beyond trolls were cute smiling things with long, colorful hair.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: March 09, 2009, 08:07:17 am »

You guys don't get it. The world is banana shaped.

on-topic: and on the internet, trolls are ***hats that need to have their hair lit on fire, but what does this have to do with underground?

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: March 09, 2009, 12:15:08 pm »

Nothing realy i just made a comment i though that may be funny.

Anyway i say there should be different genuses of Trolls with the more powerfull and/or Intelligent being petrified in sunlight while the generic foresttroll only dislikes sunlight.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: March 09, 2009, 04:23:37 pm »

Anyway i say there should be different genuses of Trolls with the more powerfull and/or Intelligent being petrified in sunlight while the generic foresttroll only dislikes sunlight.

Yeah, it looks like that I am not the only Tolkien fan on this forum.  :D
Anyways I really like this "creatures being petrified in sunlight" idea, but I don't know that what is this has to do with the underground diversity at all.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 46