Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 136249 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Diversity
« Reply #555 on: March 05, 2009, 03:43:00 pm »

Ayup

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: March 05, 2009, 04:34:46 pm »

Yup

I plan to have lots of fun with that one.

And by 'fun', I mean sex.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 04:54:38 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: March 05, 2009, 04:57:56 pm »

and by sex you mean messing with your computer?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: March 05, 2009, 05:00:21 pm »

No, that's never what I mean by sex.

...What the hell kind of sex are you having?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:03:31 pm by SirHoneyBadger »

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: March 06, 2009, 09:28:13 am »

The kind that has nothing to do with Dwarf Fortress or goblins or the next release ;)

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: March 06, 2009, 09:31:12 am »

Oooh kinky.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: March 06, 2009, 04:17:20 pm »

ok people, get a room. On topic puh-leeeeeza?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: March 07, 2009, 02:42:33 pm »

Agh, troll sex.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: March 07, 2009, 02:44:00 pm »

Holy goodness... Get off the topic and get back on track!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: March 07, 2009, 06:18:42 pm »

Speaking of trolls doing naughty things in dark places...

Has anyone suggesting that certain creatures might be harmed/destroyed/turned to stone by sunlight?

Ok, probably someone has. But how about connecting it to cave adaption? Higher degrees of cave adaption might cause from light to serious burns, then immolation, and then finally a total atomic shift (petrification).

Creatures like Medusa might actually be able to use this as a weapon, causing normally immune or only lightly cave-adapting critters to have a violent allergic reaction to sunlight (explaining the whole "petrifying gaze" thing.), making such creatures more dangerous on the surface, during the day, than they would be, underground or at night.

Speaking of light, how about the use of mirrors to reflect it? That could be used to light our Fortresses (when lighting gets in), allowing for the pleasantly "dwarfy" combination of high-grade metalwork and strategic architecture.

It could possibly be used as a weapon against certain creatures (or not--maybe mirrored light isn't as potent as real sunlight, or potent at all.).

HFS might possibly use souls themselves, somehow, as a light source. These might work like sunlight, but on touch, giving the possibility of stealing them from the HFS for use as weapons.

There might also be some kind of "sunstone" gem underground, that would duplicate this touch-effect.

This could ofcourse be used both by, and against, our dwarfs.

Presence of this "gem" (or whatever) could explain why plants can currently grow underground, and could then be used to duplicate this feature-but much more rarely-in later versions of the game.

On the flipside, darkness itself/shadows themselvex might be a more complex thing, in a fantasy world that contains undead and HFS. Perhaps, deep underground, there might exist a "living darkness", which-while it may not do anything on it's own (then again, it might)-could allow strange effects to occur.

This might exist along the lines of the suggested "aquifer of living ooze" in the OP--as a resource, as a critter, as a spawner of critters, as something for the Magic Arc, etc.

It might even be used to reverse the petrification effect suggested in the beginning of this post, and could then perhaps be destroyed with the use of mirrored light (reverting back to normal darkness permantly, or simply growing back again, over time.).

Maybe there could be some type of gem that (like the sunstone generating sunlight), could generate this type of special darkness--and maybe be used to create pockets of permanent darkness that can *only* be reversed by actual sunlight--mirrored or otherwise.

Perhaps there could be fanciful plants/fungi that can only be grown in the "living darkness". Or it might cause other unnatural things to grow.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: March 07, 2009, 07:11:04 pm »

Has anyone mentioned giant crystal formations:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/04/photogalleries/giant-crystals-cave/

Large enough that you could mine them out and make furniture, etc. out of them.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: March 07, 2009, 09:13:00 pm »

Just thought I should say that I really love the idea of using mirrors to light rooms, reminds me of two films, Legend and The Mummy, I could really imagine dwarves using such a system.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: March 07, 2009, 10:08:39 pm »

Warning: shameless promotion of one of my old threads.

The idea of mirrors was explored fairly deeply here, although more in the context of a general lighting simulation.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: March 07, 2009, 10:14:24 pm »

That's a pretty interesting thread. I'll have to read through all of it. I think more active lighting along the lines of many of those suggestions would be awesome.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: March 07, 2009, 10:28:25 pm »

Makes me think of LoZ.  Funny world, eh?

I think I might of suggested it, the sunlight/stone effect, but I don't want my dwarves getting [turned to] stone[d].
I was thinking more for cave trolls.  In the summer, they are ok in the winter.  Because otherwise day/night is way too fast to count.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 46