Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46

Author Topic: Underground Diversity  (Read 136051 times)

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Diversity
« Reply #300 on: November 14, 2008, 09:48:42 am »

It would be alright with me to just have crystals that slowly grow on rocks, but it would still make things interesting if there was one type of (rare) crystal that grew fast enough to make encasing your Dwarves a possibility (without them sleeping in the mines).
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 06:34:13 pm by Skynet 2.0 »

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 14, 2008, 02:54:36 pm »

entry added with slight edit and balance suggestions, including link to first reference

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
« Reply #302 on: November 14, 2008, 07:47:13 pm »

It would be alright with me to just have crystals that slowly grow on rocks, but it would still make things interesting if there was one type of (rare) crystal that grew fast enough to make encasing your Dwarves a possibility (without them sleeping in the mines).

You have struck Sodium Acetate!

Urist Dorfington cancels dig: encased in hot ice.

Urist Dorfington has been struck down.

A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: November 16, 2008, 04:31:34 am »

I don't think it's possible for sodium acetate to form in large enough amounts in nature...

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
« Reply #304 on: November 16, 2008, 06:01:41 am »

I don't think it's possible for sodium acetate to form in large enough amounts in nature...

No, but if you found pools of it, you could lob pots full of it at goblins.

That would be awesome.
A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 16, 2008, 02:01:33 pm »

It's also not possible for man-eating zombie carp to form in nature, but that doesn't stop the game from using it to kill dwarves in a truly horrible manner ;D
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Banzayatc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 16, 2008, 08:01:02 pm »

I've got a suggestion:

At the center of some mountains, there is a spherical gemstone cluster called 'The Heart of The Mountain'. The bigger the mountain is, the bigger the cluster will be.
It yields gems worth ten (or even more) times more than adamantine, if you dig the cluster. However, digging the heart hurts the mountain and is considered vile deed by dwarven society. Some of the dwarves living in the fortress will immideately take off, saying that they can't live in a place with such evil leader. Whose who remain will become much more greedy (they will get more bad thoughts for bad bedrooms/offices/etc, and more good thoughts for good bedrooms/offices/etc).
If your dwarven civilizations realises that you have done such crime (either by their traders seeing an item encrusted with the heart gemstones, or by the migrants which escaped your walls), it might wage war against you.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 08:26:09 pm by Banzayatc »

diefortheswarm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 16, 2008, 08:18:33 pm »

Noble demands heart gemstone items.
Mandate has been met.
Noble has fled your vile fortress.
Noble has raised an army to siege you.

Banzayatc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 16, 2008, 08:20:31 pm »

Heh, that would be fun.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 16, 2008, 08:29:10 pm »

Ooh, then you get to drown, torch, AND stab that annoying noble! ;D
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 17, 2008, 01:47:56 am »

I've got a suggestion:

At the center of some mountains, there is a spherical gemstone cluster called 'The Heart of The Mountain'. The bigger the mountain is, the bigger the cluster will be.
It yields gems worth ten (or even more) times more than adamantine, if you dig the cluster. However, digging the heart hurts the mountain and is considered vile deed by dwarven society. Some of the dwarves living in the fortress will immideately take off, saying that they can't live in a place with such evil leader. Whose who remain will become much more greedy (they will get more bad thoughts for bad bedrooms/offices/etc, and more good thoughts for good bedrooms/offices/etc).
If your dwarven civilizations realises that you have done such crime (either by their traders seeing an item encrusted with the heart gemstones, or by the migrants which escaped your walls), it might wage war against you.

Very creative, but that sort of sentimentality doesn't really fit the dwarves IMHO. I could see the equivalent in an elf haven, but judging by the ... greed ... (for lack of a better word) of the dwarves I'd think that the immigration of your fort would quadruple.

Ultimately, I can't ever imagine exploitation to be a dwarven sin.

A good example is the adamant king: he shows up as soon as his favorite mineral is discovered, constantly mandates more of it, and ultimately (in the 2D version) dooms the fort.

The remainder of the idea (pockets of valuable gems) I think is pretty well covered by kimberlite pipes, geodes, etc. Maybe the exact opposite paradigm might fit better: where keeping it intact nets some benefit to the player, but the dwarves get mad if they aren't allowed to pillage it.

Banzayatc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: November 17, 2008, 01:54:14 am »

Hmm... Maybe you're right. I'll think of something.

Though my first idea finally gives you a chance to not just deathtrap that annoying noble, but wrestle him to death with a bunch of recruits. ;D

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: November 17, 2008, 02:09:21 am »

My take on the Tiberium-like crystal kudzu:

Make it grow way faster and unpredictably for a while when touched by miasma.  When a dwarf dies near it, well, you're in trouble.  But otherwise, you can keep chucking dead enemies at it, and let it grow.  Just be careful...real careful.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: November 17, 2008, 02:24:54 am »

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before about mining, and apologies ahead of time for being too lazy to read through 20 pages, but...

What if stone blocked passages and had to be cleared before advancing further?
Perhaps it could be that dwarves can climb over the stone they've just mined and their move is significantly reduced rather than inhibited.
It would certainly slow down how quickly miners can open up a mountain and could even act in conjunction with rock crushers and conveyor belts.
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #314 on: November 17, 2008, 04:09:36 am »

I don't think it's possible for dwarves or goblins to form in any amount in nature... And there we have them in games. Don't forget this is a "simulation" of a fantasy world and not a simulation of our own world. Anything is possible in fantasy, with or without a good enough explanation.
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 46