Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: DFPaint: A cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility in Java (Source released)  (Read 25299 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

wow, I gotta try that with Toady One sometime.
Speaking of features... are we looking at being able to export to text or something?
I ask because that would make this software perfect for designing "graphics" for the DFMUX.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile

Hehe. This thing is a great time-waster.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

New version is up.

Changes:
-Made palette resizable
-made paint window larger and scrollable
-optimized initialization

Edit: DFMUX?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 07:48:24 pm by korora »
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any new developments?

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
Re: DFPaint: A cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility in Java (Updated 8/19/2008)
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2008, 09:08:35 pm »

I downloaded the file, but I can't actually get it to run.  I know why, but I don't know how to fix it.
I'm running this on Mac OS X 10.5.4

The downloaded file is DFPaint.jar.zip
when I go to unzip it, the archive utility unzips the .zip, but then it automatically un-archives the .jar as well, leaving me with a directory containing a set of .class files that can't open.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I can't just unzip the whole thing and then make it back into a .jar, either, since I don't have any programs that do that.  Right-clicking and selecting 'Compress "DFPaint"' just makes it a .zip file, which is useless.

Also, any mac users, where can I find the location of the actual Archive Utility program, since it's not in the Applications folder?  I'm thinking that, if I can find it, I can stop the auto-decompress-every-extension-in-one-run-and-delete-the-middle-point-files garbage.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 09:13:19 pm by nirodragon »
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DFPaint: A cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility in Java (Updated 8/19/2008)
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2008, 11:18:07 pm »

I downloaded the file, but I can't actually get it to run.  I know why, but I don't know how to fix it.
I'm running this on Mac OS X 10.5.4

The downloaded file is DFPaint.jar.zip
when I go to unzip it, the archive utility unzips the .zip, but then it automatically un-archives the .jar as well, leaving me with a directory containing a set of .class files that can't open.

Any suggestions?

EDIT: I can't just unzip the whole thing and then make it back into a .jar, either, since I don't have any programs that do that.  Right-clicking and selecting 'Compress "DFPaint"' just makes it a .zip file, which is useless.

Also, any mac users, where can I find the location of the actual Archive Utility program, since it's not in the Applications folder?  I'm thinking that, if I can find it, I can stop the auto-decompress-every-extension-in-one-run-and-delete-the-middle-point-files garbage.

Yeah, someone earlier in the thread had the same problem.  If I could, I'd just put the jar on DFFD, but it doesn't accept jars so no dice there.

I'm not sure how to get Archive Utility to stop before it unpacks everything, but I use The Unarchiver instead, anyways, and I strongly recommend it since it's slick and handles more formats than Archive Utility.  You can find it here.

Any new developments?

I haven't really looked at it recently, and I'm not hugely motivated to do so soonish; when I started DFPaint I had a lot more free time than I do now. Is there something in particular you'd been waiting for?  If so, I can look into a quick fix, or I can just put the source up if someone's interested in that.

Atanamis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2008, 12:09:08 am »

nitrodragon, does your mac not allow you to edit file extensions? rename the compressed files from .zip to .jar. The absolute only difference between a .zip and a .jar file is the name of the extension.

nirodragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Nirodragon cancels sleep: Interrupted by DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2008, 10:23:06 am »

Korora - thanks for the link, it worked perfectly.

Atanamis - I tried that, and something went weird with the file - it couldn't actually run.
Urist McMiner cancels Mine: Taking a dump
Urist McMiner was disgusted by a miasma lately

I can't believe I just went there...

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2008, 11:12:18 am »

The absolute only difference between a .zip and a .jar file is the name of the extension.

Errr... not quite.
A jar does use the zip format (I think), but it can also include a manifest file, as well as a number of other, Java specific, files and things relating to the program.  In order to run a jar file as a jar, you need a executable class and a manifest, at the very least.

</off-topicness>
In order to make this not completely off topic, I think this is a really cool app, and the new changes make it a lot easier to work with.  Keep up the good work!
Fefeshnelmargalip

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile

Hey what ever happened to this project? I know it's not dead, been just a couple of weeks.

What I really want to know is how I crop this stuff or do I just do that manually?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's sleeping, at the very least.  Maybe even in a coma.  I haven't written a line of code or even really thought about it since the last time this topic came up, mostly because I've been occupying myself with other things.

Chances are decent I'll come back to it, but I don't know when that'll be.  Any updates will be noted here, of course.

For cropping, yeah, I'd say just do it in Paint or whatever.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile

K.

No rushing anyway, it works fine with the current version of DF.

Also may I suggest multiple frames? I.e. animation.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Next up is the story of a city whose name was lost in time, but the infamous battle wasn't.

"We don't know what the thing across the water does, but it probably isn't good."

Is that... an army of carp?

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Korora please read your private messages (I don't know if it shows any notifications about received message). :)
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6