Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Robofort  (Read 4291 times)

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Robofort
« on: August 03, 2008, 10:08:59 am »

I just uploaded my first time mod evar. I basically took the default dwarves and edited most of it to make a robot race. I wanted to try my hand at modding and came up with a rather overpowered but fun race. I haven't tested it thoroughly, but here's the first relatively working build: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=374

And the railgun-free version: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=375

I had a little help from LordNagash and Cpt. Mayday with inventing new names for the organs/bodyparts. Thank you guys!

EDIT: Beta version 0.75 is now uploaded.

EDIT: I'm currently running a community fort here: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=22377.0

EDIT: HOLY CRAP VERSION 0.9 D:
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 04:51:42 pm by Prometheus »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Robofort
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 03:48:11 pm »

Oh god...railguns?!  ;D

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 06:25:25 pm »

Oh god...railguns?!  ;D

So... nothing has changed from vanilla?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 08:00:55 pm »

I was going to do something like this myself just for kicks, but now you've gone and made it so much easier

Added: Also, you're welcome!

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 06:23:52 am »

During testing I've felt sometimes that the robots aren't powerful enough. You can still get pretty seriously messed up by a pack of wolves if you are a lightly armored gunbot. That is, if they catch you by surprise before you can blow their carcasses across the forest or something. I wonder how they do in fortress mode.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 09:14:24 am »

Oh god...railguns?!  ;D

So... nothing has changed from vanilla?

Haha, ranged units eh?  ;D

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 11:46:43 am »

I love the concept, and looks like you you're doing. Just some testing for you; I loaded this up on a fresh install and got this:

Unrecognized Item Definition (Gloves) Token: ITEM_GLOVES_GRIPPERCASING - PREPLURAL
Unrecognized Item Definition (Gloves) Token: ITEM_GLOVES_GRIPPERCASING_DECO - PREPLURAL
Unrecognized Item Definition (Helm) Token: ITEM_HELM_CPU - PREPLURAL
Unrecognized Item Definition (Shoes) Token: ITEM_SHOES_STABICASING - PREPLURAL
Unrecognized Item Definition (Shoes) Token: ITEM_SHOES_STABICASING_DECO - PREPLURAL
Unrecognized Creature Body Token: DRONE : ROBO_QUADRUPED
Unrecognized Creature Body Token: DRONE : COOLANT
Unrecognized Creature Body Token: DRONE : ROBOJAWS
Unrecognized Season Token: ALL

Might be a good idea to check those out.

Now, since the robots have lubricant and a synth heart, shouldn't they have some kind of blood? I suggest a neon green one- that seems like something nice an unnatural for them.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 12:11:27 pm »

Yar! steampowered dwarfbots!
Do they eat charcoal etc? I wonder.... maybe time to sin again... ;)

Just looked at the lasersquad etc art 3-panel-soul referred to.
Reading this post had me imagining gobbos armed with laserguns assaulting the robodwarf moonbase.  ;D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 02:00:37 pm »

I love the concept, and looks like you you're doing. Just some testing for you; I loaded this up on a fresh install and got this:

Unrecognized Item Definition (Gloves) Token: ITEM_GLOVES_GRIPPERCASING - PREPLURAL
Unrecognized Item Definition (Gloves) Token: ITEM_GLOVES_GRIPPERCASING_DECO - PREPLURAL
Unrecognized Item Definition (Helm) Token: ITEM_HELM_CPU - PREPLURAL
Unrecognized Item Definition (Shoes) Token: ITEM_SHOES_STABICASING - PREPLURAL
Unrecognized Item Definition (Shoes) Token: ITEM_SHOES_STABICASING_DECO - PREPLURAL
Unrecognized Creature Body Token: DRONE : ROBO_QUADRUPED
Unrecognized Creature Body Token: DRONE : COOLANT
Unrecognized Creature Body Token: DRONE : ROBOJAWS
Unrecognized Season Token: ALL

Might be a good idea to check those out.

I see what the season token is about, that's related to when I set [ACTIVE_SEASON] to ALL. I made a whoopsie there. To get the intended effect, one should have four [ACTIVE_SEASON] tokens set to the different seasons. As to the body token trouble, I forgot to put the updated body_default.txt in the rar.
The PREPLURAL errors were caused by me putting PREPLURAL tags on shoes, gloves and a type of helm, which apparently does not work. Oh well, worth a shot. All of this has been fixed now, I'll upload version 0.75 soonish with the fixes.

Now, since the robots have lubricant and a synth heart, shouldn't they have some kind of blood? I suggest a neon green one- that seems like something nice an unnatural for them.

They do have blood, black goo. Although I think cyan would be nice too. Black goo just isn't graphic enough for when putting slugs into your fellow machines. I'll change it to cyan in 0.75.

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 08:24:34 pm »

love the mod, well anything with robots. i'm converting your mod to work with modbase.. well its pretty much done actually.. and i want to know if i have permission? do you have an e-mail i can send the file to you so you can post it and such once i'm done?

EDIT: ok seems i don't what i'm doing.. which might be the case.. modbase shows double entrys and once embarked the bots are all flashing and can't move O.o;;; so sorry then for my uselessness.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 12:26:37 am by nicholasneko »

Prometheus

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 06:11:14 am »

I'm thinking of starting a community robot fortress, unless someone else is willing to start one.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 07:47:33 am »

If a community fort started I'd be willing to join. cool mod, downloading now.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 12:27:29 pm »

This sounds pretty awesome.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 05:31:01 pm »

This is entertaining.
Your robots have such a high percision that they can actually make railguns out of bone and wood :).

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 11:26:28 pm »

I hope you don't mind, but I did a little tweaking myself and here's what I've come up with:

-Carbon fibers can be extracted from graphite or, "carbon" stone produced by processing coke. These fibers can then be used to make carbon fiber robot parts.
-Further, fibers can be extracted from gold, copper, and silver stones, for more metal cloths.
-Bots build towns in the mountains, because otherwise adventurers can't find anything to buy.
-I removed Max age, because that seemed odd. I don't know what you think.
-Made Pitchblende refinable into firelead, a powerful ammo, but otherwise unusable. A.K.A: depleted uranium rounds.
-On that same topic, this would go great with the Minerals Mod, for instance, having titanium armor plating and so on.

P.S.: I felt a little odd, not having the graphics I'm familiar with. I tweaked them to use tile "1" and  changed dwarves to "D". Then, I redrew some graphics in my 16x16 font so they are actually robots. They have three eyes; also, civilian bots have blue eyes, warbots have red eyes, and adventurerbots have yellow eyes.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 01:04:19 am by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: [1] 2