Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game 2, Now accepting new deities!  (Read 26512 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game 2, Now accepting new deities!
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2008, 07:17:20 am »

Im pretty sure everyone has made their turn. I'm just testing out some new rules-my files pertaining to the game seem to have poofed from my computer...so im trying to do some new stuff. Mostly I want every skill to actually DO something. I'm thinking of a -50% to -75% pop growth for all races to start-and food and survival skills give a point for every EP you put in. What does everyone think?
Also, someone sent me a PM asking to join. If I do let him in, he'll get maybe +20 points for missed turns. Yea or nay?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 23, 2008, 09:15:35 am »

Im pretty sure everyone has made their turn. I'm just testing out some new rules-my files pertaining to the game seem to have poofed from my computer...so im trying to do some new stuff. Mostly I want every skill to actually DO something. I'm thinking of a -50% to -75% pop growth for all races to start-and food and survival skills give a point for every EP you put in. What does everyone think?
Also, someone sent me a PM asking to join. If I do let him in, he'll get maybe +20 points for missed turns. Yea or nay?

I know its a but unfair on every other race, but with my race having such short lifes and reproducion so quickly I think the pop growth nerf wouldn't do me any favours at all, even if otherse get it. It means i die really quick and reproduce in tiny wittle batches. Maybe like a -30% for the Jhiar'd. Well its up to you really, but i think it'll be a bit unfair.
And yeah, sure let him join, so long as you get to pick where he starts, or just where your race used to be Dwarmin.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2008, 11:50:31 am »

but with my race having such short lifes and reproducion so quickly
well look at the Kadesh, or, heck, the Plantwe: we all have short lives, and I'm still not on board with my plants having "litter size" of 1 (they don't give birth, do they now?).
P.S. just how many queen Jhiar'ds are there?
P.P.S. yes, let them join. you can give them one of the unused races (Tokay or Morrosur), so they'll already have a location and everything.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2008, 11:56:42 am »

but with my race having such short lifes and reproducion so quickly
P.S. just how many queen Jhiar'ds are there?

Oh, about 10 or 20 per colony. They just sit there making eggs all day.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2008, 12:12:34 pm »

Hmm how about -30% for the Jhiar'd, -50% for everyone else? Or should this whole idea be consigned the halls of mandos evermore? I'll wait for you guys input.

On litter size, every one with a 1 gets...a 2! And i'll increase it as your new pop growth percentage gets higher.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 23, 2008, 12:42:44 pm »

I was planning for the Nahuantl to have two to three eggs per batch, too.  I'd say let them join, but I'm not sure I agree with all the people saying to make them use one of the races that's already extant.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 23, 2008, 01:01:43 pm »

I think I forgot my turn.

Anyways, 8 physique and 13 EP? Whoa. My Physique count should be 11 by now, and only 9 leftover EP.

Alright, the turn. 1 EP goes into furhter physique, which brings the total to 12 EP and 11 points.
4 EP into science/lore - Herbology. The introduction of a plant with strange properties prompted the naturally curious Mii'Ari to examine and find out properties of various plants throughout the land. There's currently no way to store the information, except remembering it, and some Mii'Ari have devoted themselves to this cause of collecting information.
5 EP into technology - Fire use and handling. While the Mii'Ari could use, and learned to respect fire, it was still a chaotic element to most of them. As more and more dangers beset the Mii'Ari in the outside world, they started to look for ways to control this element. Among the results of this activity was a method of setting up smokeless fires, and better ways of igniting the fire.

The Mii'Ari were greatly dismayed with the changes in the sky at first, but since the slightly reduced light intensity made little difference to their eyes, and the change of hue wasn't immediately noticeable (they are colorblind...) the strange event was soon largely forgotten. Some proposed a more inquisitive study of the event, but no amount of effort on their part could begin to form an explanation. The colder weather that came with the change in the sky had little effect on common hunters, since their fur protected them most of the time. Only the fishers have noted the cold waters, and how colder it is now if you get wet.

As the fungus and the predators that spread with it started to abate, the Mii'Ari were relieved. Despite the fact that the immediate threat from Kaerrah was removed, the meeting of the chiefs held to discuss the changes in weather (that, unbeknownst to the chiefs, were the reason to the fungus' downfall) still paid due attention to it and its presence. The Misshapen Wood was still regarded as a possible threat, and it still occupied a territory very near to the living space of the Mii'Ari, so the meeting has decided that a method should be devised for its elimination. A younger chief has mentioned the study of fire that was taking place in his village, and some of the results that were reported were of great importance to this task.
The study of various plants has suddenly brought forth an unexpected result - a certain plant growing in the dried swamps found on the plains was found to burn in a steady flame, without giving off much smoke. Since it was natural for the fur-covered Mii'Ari to not let the fire get too close to them, the eventual design of the new tool included a long wooden stick wrapped with a wad of this meaty plant. The uses of this tool were limited, because there was no immediate need for a constant, transportable fire source, but maybe it could be used to bring ruin to the Kaerrah, by setting it alight?
The chiefs discussed this development at great length. The changes in weather, that troubled farmers and hunters, have hardly received their attention. In the end, this was decided: samples of the plants growing in the Kaerrah must be taken, and burned far away from the settlements of the people. The effects of the burning leaves of the herb, that the chiefs ultimately failed to contain, have made the Mii'Ari cautious of the smoke, and the recent study of fire has taught them that setting an entire forest alight may have consequences much more devastating than poisonous smoke.

Away from the heavy decisions and lengthy discussions, the Mii'Ari people continued to live their, mostly happy, lives. The eastern forests and riversides, finally cleared of the predators there, were settled by numerous families seeking to move away from the somewhat crowded settlements. Some lesser families have banded together, and went into the wilds, seeking better places to live.
------
<ooc:>not much happening here. The cold, the darker light, and the different hue of light, all have little effect on the Mii'Ari. I think they were particularly well-suited to this kind of change. :D
The populations move around a bit. 4000 move from M25 to M27, and from N26 and N28, 3000 (from each) move into O25 and O27, respectively. What can be considered scouting groups have made their way as far as K27 and P28. A hundred adventurous Mii'Ari have moved into L25 to try the life in the canyon.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2008, 01:45:16 pm »

Uh.. Y'know, Sean, cats aren't color blind, they just mostly see red, blue, and yellow pascals.

Edit:  Why am I so dumb?  That's basically what color blind means, not to mention that the new sun is green.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 01:50:07 pm by Nonanonymous »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2008, 02:51:24 pm »

Wait a second... I have 18 EP? Where the heck did I get all that? I don't want to invest it 'till I know if it is a typo or something.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2008, 03:05:32 pm »

Hmm how about -30% for the Jhiar'd, -50% for everyone else?
let's ask people how much they think their annual natural population growth* is, and why.
and then you can adjust from there.

*)or whatever that thing is called where you subtract your deaths form your births and divide it by the population.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 03:07:27 pm by a1s »
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2008, 06:18:19 am »

A1S: I must of added an extra "1"
I lost all my files so of course I cant check  >:(
fixing

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2008, 12:42:19 pm »

A1S: I must of added an extra "1"
I lost all my files so of course I cant check  >:(
fixing

And I think you replaced what my creatures currently have in some stats(Say hunters organ had 2) with how much I invested in it(So instead of adding 5 to make 7, I have 5).
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2008, 04:59:14 am »

Fixed Duke.
Draigh is our new player-Hes playing the Lanlar. Will update today hopefully!

Draigh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2008, 05:39:29 am »

Hey all
Here the short introduction to my species:

The sun rose, its green light illuminating the sky for the first time. Some would call it eery, he did not. He just watched as he sat on the rocky cliff, looking down on the lands below him. Slowly intelligence dawned in his sharp eyes where before only instinct ruled. As the sun reached its highest point in the sky, he kicked off from the cliff and hurled downwards.
And in his fall he opened his majestic wings and took flight into the green emerald sky. There he went looking for others like him, touched by the green sun, ready for a new age.

A visitor would find it a strange meeting. The forest was filled with big birds on the branches of trees, yet with all them here there was barely a sound. Just a random ruffling of feathers or a soft chirp now and then. And those eyes seemed to glow in the afterlight of the setting sun, all birds continuously watching the same birds and as if on an invisible sign shifted from bird to bird. One would almost say they were in a meeting, yet no sounds revealed anything. Then all of a sudden a shivering went through the collected birds and as if they were one, they took off in the now dark sky. The birds scattered into all wind directions and then once again, the forest was silent.

Sai flew back towards his mountain peak and the comfortable nest that was located there. Tomorrow would be a long day as he, and others like him, would fly around and try to find all Lanlar and unite them as one new species. The meeting has gone well, a lot of questions were asked and several answered. There would be enough time to find out the limits of their new abilities, but for now they needed to work on survival first. And for this, they needed to know with just how many they were and where everyone lived.
Sai also secretly hoped to find a nice mate to share his nest with. The nights were cold, especially up in the mountains. Tomorrow he would see...

As for turn orders:
I wish scouts to fly out and check the surrounding areas, and trying to keep their heads down and out of trouble. They are still getting used to the new situation.

Edit:
Do I need to include the stats here? Or is the summary post in the beginning going to be edited?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 07:03:08 am by Draigh »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2008, 02:31:35 pm »

The summary in the first post was edited, but...  Dwarmin, are we EVER going to get a map update?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8