Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game 2, Now accepting new deities!  (Read 26502 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: Evolution: Not a debate, a forum game 2
« Reply #45 on: August 16, 2008, 09:19:29 am »

heh, sorry dwarmin, i was out all last night and i was ill this morning so im not thinking straight lol. Yeah ill repost it at somepoint, and thanks for the pointers on wording.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 16, 2008, 10:29:15 am »

I'm figuring up your battle results now for your skirmish. I've decided to put in a system of leadership..This post is reserved for the turn 5 btw.
Edit: Questions

Generals
If a general survives the battle, you can use them for any future battles-the first is your free general-you can keep 1 extra General per 5 points into language and tactics each, so you could fire them in the next turn and try to get a better commander in the next battle if you want. But for the turn your stuck together. You can only get a general by fighting, or specially saying your looking to recruit one. Even the worst general gives good bonuses to combat-this is modified by thier nature and skill level. Their personality exact effects will only be known by me.  :-X
And since every turn is about 10? years I guess, your generals will retire or die off in time-assume they are all middle age when recruited. Mwa hah har you'll never see the same Jhiar'd general more than twice.  ;D

And for example...this is Nilocy's first commander
Jhiar'd
Leader: Brood Queen Hordouw’z Skill 56-Careful nature
The general chosen to lead the Jhiar’d forces was chosen more for her cautiousness than total skill-the ruling body don’t want to lose an army to these monsters with a much larger war brewing with the Nahuantl. Rumor says she once lost 100 Jhiar’d to a Blur ambush, and has been wracked with indecision and depression ever since over the loss of her men.

If anyone wants to rename or apply certain titles to their commanders, just ask.

Nilocy: Generals names ranks and demeanor can be decided by you. I'll still roll their skill points and overall mood, and why they are like that. Generals skills give a bonus to all combat, reduce casualties, allow them to retreat fast-and they gain experience as they age, so you could tell me if you want your general to practice discipline, or learn how to defend his forces better. If you make a good custom general, i'll keep them as long as I can stretch your age limits.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 08:06:46 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Fualkner

• Bay Watcher
  • My glasses split light.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2008, 11:51:04 am »

Commanders, eh? Great idea, Dwarmin.

Yep, just poking my head in. I don't see any issues with the Generals, so good job.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2008, 01:52:49 pm »

Alright, so do you make the generals up? or do we? And what are the kinds of skills these generals have? and whats a good skill?

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 16, 2008, 02:51:03 pm »

[OOC:  Just a nitpick, but I'd changed the description of the Nahuantl to this: 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I had thought it was fixed in Fualkner's post along with everything else when I finalized them, but I guess not.]

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #50 on: August 16, 2008, 03:42:32 pm »

Well uh... it seems religion isn't really developing as of yet. I'll guess Nevon will stay a shady cult object for now.
Anyway, I wished I joined in on this one. Ah well.

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2008, 05:14:26 pm »

are you a god of some kind?
you could try manifesting (like that *Smellnobird* guy)...
what are you a god of anyway?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2008, 05:17:58 pm »

are you a god of some kind?
you could try manifesting (like that *Smellnobird* guy)...
what are you a god of anyway?
I submitted a diety back in the first thread, and was accepted. Uh... I guess that makes me a god. But I'm fairly weak though. Too little followers, not enough sacrifices!
I'll go have a look at my application again.

EDIT:

I guess having a diety should have both cons and pros. Naturally, having a diety can lead to both unity and disunity, slight boosts in activities around the god's spheres, but it could also be reason for war,...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 05:23:15 pm by Asheron »

Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2008, 05:19:09 pm »

OOC: 

[To Nilocy:  If any of the Nahuantl are captured, their attitudes are going to vary from frantic, babbling penitence, to vehement resistance.  And to Dwarmin, I'm going to expect morale bonuses to any Traitor Legions I might encounter.]

Ti-uax was one of the many Blood Children of Loqoatl, and was specifically raised to take over the Xahutec Clan.  With time, Loqoatl had grown old, and stepped down from the ruling position with Ti-uax to ascend her.  In such a time of strife, help from their fellow Nahuantl alone would not suffice.  Ti-uax requested that the Fangs and Claws make an effort to domesticate whatever animals they could to aid them in their defence.  In addition, she requested an  attempt to utilize the combustible plant combinations as best they could, be it as a weapon or whatever else they could manage.  Her military strategy was rather simple, entrench the positions that the Xahutec already controlled, and send warriors to do ritual combat with their neighbors Spirit Mothers, in order to prove themselves the superior Clan and gain control of their populaces. 

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2008, 07:56:20 am »

TURN 5

The age of Twilight-in all languages, of all peoples from high to low, some variant of this would be what it was called. It was a term for the massive cosmic event that surely saved the world from the encroaching fungus…
Those who woke up to the world on that fateful morning realized that the sky had changed-the first moon in the sky, which had been always been the most predictable of the 3 that orbited the world, was gone! And the sun had changed position, and color! What was once a normal yellow sun that rose in the North and set in the South was now a pale green sun that seemed to hang in the air and go from East to West. For the first few days, the shock immobilized all, but their eyes began to adjust to the new light. They noticed that many plants were dying, (poor plantwe, how will they survive ;) ) but the fungus most of all seemed to be eroding at a rapid pace. Only the massive fungal forest known to the Mii’Ari seemed to be partly immune…what will this strange portent mean? Was this a gift from the Gods, or a curse? Chief among the concerns of the wise was, 2 different things…first that it was getting colder-and second that their people were starting to be effected in some odd way….

Global Climate: The skies are clear and glow an eerie green. It’s starting to get colder and darker, and the days are longer.

Global Event: Your planet is going through a long eclipse that hides your yellow sun and shows the green one. This strange event will accelerate evolution-but backwards or forwards no one can tell. The fungus is slowly beginning to erode-not fast enough to destroy it entirely, but is slowing. All the people of the world are now looking to a higher power for guidance....

OOC: Deus ex Machina!
Surprise! Turns out your planet is in a Binary star system, and every so often the rotation of the planets and suns has interesting effects! I refer you to the movie “Pitch Black” lol
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_Black_(film)

No living being can recall when something like this ever happened before-maybe it would happen again in the future, maybe not. Expect to get a major change in points this turn, but whether it is devolving or evolving is up to the dice.

The fungus predators have begun to die off-except for the fungus worm, which has changed what it grows to conform to the new ecosystem. It is responsible for the fungus forest self sufficiency, and perhaps in time they would make new varieties that could thrive in this new light as well.

All battles will be handled before the main phase of effects and EP distribution, but after most of everyone has posted a response! Have at it, and remember if you made any changes before I posted this turn, that I see them. Dont be in any major rush to post your response, i wont stick to any strict time tables, but we should be done in a week at least.

On the subjects of Gods-your free to allow your people to pray to as many or few as you want. As logn as you can connect with the Deity in some way they will start to gain followers from now on.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 08:01:21 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Nonanonymous

• Bay Watcher
  • A blithering idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2008, 08:37:43 pm »

Ahhh...  How drastic of a climate shift is this going to be?

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2008, 10:52:03 pm »

For now its about 50-60 degrees Farenheit on average, no snow or ice.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2008, 07:45:59 am »

With all of the people of the world looking to a higher power for a guidance, former, obscure religions blossom. One of them is the cult of Nevon.

The Jhiar'd were the first to embrace the thought that a higher god could exist.
Ever since they encountered lava, there have been different lava cults who try to please the "spirits" that lived in these firy liquids.
However, their beliefs were unorganized and shady at best.
Now, with the worlds changing, religion is becoming a more solid part of life.
One of the many lava gods, Nevon, has risen from obscurity.
Nevon's first believers were struck with awe when they saw how small lizards-like things lived along the borders of the volcanoes, despite the harsh temperatures. Soon, they started to belief these creatures were guardians of the lava, avatars of Nevon, who is believed to be a bipedal lizard-like creature.   
For the first time, small groups of believers follow rules other then the normal moral codes.
Nevon's believer are still small in number and are still considered as a cult, though. The Jhiar'd themselves are still not sure what to do what these new religions ( Nilocy is free to either embrace these new religions or ( to try ) to destroy them ).
« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 07:48:09 am by Asheron »

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2008, 08:45:35 am »

Ok, well heres my turn, and also my decision with the religousness.

Ok, so my 11 EP shall go into:
An extra 3 EP into colony establishment. New colonies bring more experiances that can be passed down through the genetic line.
An extra 3 EP into Language. The establishment of tactics had furthered the Workers and Warriors uses of language. They improve on what they already had, now being able to describe the colours they now see.
An extra 3 EP into Senses. The more the bugs investigate new things, the better they begin to understand themselves and what their bodies are capable of. The workers now see shades of colours, while the warriors now see distinct shapes.
1 EP into weapons use. The Jhiar'ds Heads have realised the potential of the cutting axe used as a weapon. They begin to train with the battle axe.
1 EP into workers claws. A sudden and random mutation that caught on has allowed the workers more powerful claws than before.

The extra food production will go into the 3 biggest colonies. And the last into the volcano colony.

The sudden change in the sky was a new experiance for the Jhiar'd, because of their very short lifetimes this new sun was never heard of in any form, no warning was given, no sign the world would change again. Rejoice comes as the fungus that ravaged their communities starts to receed, but the farms are still in production in the protection of the fungus silos. This new even sparks a new yearn to pass down information to new generations. The question plaguing the new generations minds; Why weren't we informed? Why was there no warning? Surely this has happened before has it not? Several new thought processes involving some higher intervention come and go, a few 'believers' lingering around claiming the green sun is some sort of higher creature the Jhiar'd will never understand. Meanwhile the questions that still plague the minds of the Jhiar'd's Heads and minds, are how their going to warn future generations of such an event.

A war council: [OOC: or near enough lol] Scouts reports of more of their kind going missing on the eastern borders, as well as the new race of Jhiar’d, have found the cause. There is a new race harbouring to the east of the mountains away from our colonies. The Heads discuss the possibilities of an impending assault and decide it is time to gather information required to understand these interesting looking creatures. Their first course of action is to send large scouting parties to the other creatures to acquire some specimens for testing. The second action is to test these creatures to find their weaknesses. The third act will to bolster the defences along the eastern borders. But first, the Heads agree that it’s time to quell the separate colony near the mountains. They’re becoming troublesome and need to be exterminated soon or else they could become a potential threat. Meanwhile, the captured Plant’we’s are going to be tested. The Heads start to fool around with them trying to understand what they are, what their primative senses tell them is that they’re like the trees around them, mostly a green colour. They start to experiment with the newfound fungas’s on them, the maggots and eventually the cutting axe’s seeing what they’ll do. This is a good day indeed for the Jhiar’d, “Knowledge is power” as the saying goes.

There is also the issue of the Blurs and the predators hunting the Jhiar’d. Gi’ord, a scout, had returned with what seems to be a fellow Jhiar’d in his claws carried on his back. He wanders through the colony into the Heads lair. The Heads, after noticing the scout, went silent.
“I found this creature along the river beds were our colonies recently failed.” Tells the scout. “It was still alive when I found it but died while I was returning.”
Intrigued the heads move closer. Its obvious they’re thinking of using this to the Jhiar’ds advantage through acquiring its genes. They nominate a head and two mother bugs to travel to distant part of the forest, along with several hundred warriors and workers, to start a small colony with the genes of this new creature.

Meanwhile near the volcano: The workers are starting to investigate the hot stuff with more curiosity now, after the Heads decision to utilise the power given to them by the gods they attempt to find a way to direct the magma through the irrigation channels. [OOC: I’m so sorry for making this sound like DF :D] H’dio, a lowly worker, while out for the usual routines of looking for prey to catch in the mountains notices suddenly catches a glimpse of something shiny imbedded into the stone. After furious attempts to get to stone out of the rock he is left with slightly sore claws and a very sore head. Later he returns with the help of a warrior bug to attempt to take this thing out of the mountain. [OOC: If successful can he run back to the colony with it raised telling everyone what he found? If not, then he gives up and continues to forage]

The cult of Nevon:
These new lizard creatures were an interest at first, some heads keeping them in their homes as pets, sort of, then the thought occured, no-one had seen these lizard until they discovered the hot stuff. It was curious also how these creatures lived here for so long in the heat and smoke, maybe the Heads could use them to evolve their race quicker. Only time will tell.

As usual the Jhiar'd continue their expansion, specifically away from the predators this time.

What my turn entails:

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 08:47:19 am by Nilocy »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2008, 05:46:11 pm »

EDIT: Alright, so I can check the forum afterall.  May not be around too much though.  Still don't have time to write right now.  I'll try to later.

God I hate computers.  I'll probably be offline for a week or so thanks to some inane problems and my trusting nature.  I don't have time to write a big RP on this borrowed terminal (probably shouldn't be here at all), but I hope this will suffice.

Housekeeping- My psychic junk isn't listed in my Kadesh profile, and I think the pop numbers are out of date, like the listing on waters I'm not in anymore.  On to the turn-

« Last Edit: August 18, 2008, 06:50:58 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8