Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No liaison? [39e]  (Read 1085 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
No liaison? [39e]
« on: August 02, 2008, 07:36:25 pm »

So I just genned a new world in 39e, found a site and embarked.  Autumn rolls around and the dwarven caravan arrived...without the liaison.  Not game-breaking, but since I'm in an area with no flux, a bit problematic.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: No liaison? [39e]
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 09:11:52 pm »

I wonder what state your original civilization is in.  It'll let you pick a civ that's dead if they are all dead, and it'll let you pick a floundering civilization in any case.  It should probably warn you about this stuff though.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

a.f.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 03:17:05 am »

Haha, had the same issue when I started a new _dwarf_ fortress several days ago. No outpost liaison with the first caravan, but he came on the next year in summer with humans and he was a human too ))
Both civs are quite large and dwarfs don't have any human cities under control as far as I now (once had a goblin liaison came with dwarfs but I though it was ok as my dwarven civ had many dark fortresses conquered).
I think in my case human outpost liaison is somehow connected with the previous fortress I had in this world and it was human one (edited humans entity to be controllable..)
Just tell me if save is needed.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 06:29:18 pm »

Do you want me to post a save?  And if so, do you want the world before embarkation or the fall save before the arrival of the caravan?

Edit: I think I've found the problem.  In the civ screen, it says that "this land has no important leaders" for my dwarven civ.  I suppose that means my civ is dead except for my outpost?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 06:37:44 pm by Dame de la Licorne »
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 06:48:54 pm »

When I was genning worlds up to the age of fairy-tales (so no non-human civs), one time all of the game modes were available. I just figured there were a few wandering refugees around. If it was a bug, I guess I shouldn't have deleted it so quickly (sorry).

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 08:43:25 pm »

Edit: I think I've found the problem.  In the civ screen, it says that "this land has no important leaders" for my dwarven civ.  I suppose that means my civ is dead except for my outpost?

Yeah, it's quite likely you are the last dragon.  I've noted down that an indicator of civ health is needed before embark, in some fashion.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 10:26:57 pm »

So I just genned a new world in 39e, found a site and embarked.  Autumn rolls around and the dwarven caravan arrived...without the liaison.  Not game-breaking, but since I'm in an area with no flux, a bit problematic.

This has been happening for many many versions now. Where the liaison doesn't ever come once in a while.

I wonder what state your original civilization is in.  It'll let you pick a civ that's dead if they are all dead, and it'll let you pick a floundering civilization in any case.  It should probably warn you about this stuff though.

If the civ is dead, then it be nice if the wagons didn't come also, not just the liaison. Otherwise you mid-as-well send the liaison also.
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 12:53:08 am »

If the civ is dead, then it be nice if the wagons didn't come also, not just the liaison. Otherwise you mid-as-well send the liaison also.

"Might as well" is three words.

OneTwentySix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 11:57:32 pm »

I have yet to receive a dwarven liaison, in three separate worlds, two under one world gen parameter, one under another.  I get the humans, and the human caravans, and I get the dwarven caravans; the dwarven civilization is listed in the civilization lists, but no liaison.

On one map, I when the human trader came, I'd set my demands and then the dwarfs would bring the items I'd requested; a ton of wood and a few other items.

If this is a world gen problem, what can I do to generate worlds that will give me dwarven caravans?

Thanks

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 05:43:43 pm »

I guess this hasn't been fixed yet, right? I'm playing with 40d and have the same problem mentioned above. The only important person of my chosen civ is the queen.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 08:02:41 pm »

I did notice the humans bring an entire wagon of wood in the second year (first human caravan) after I'd asked for tons of Tower Caps from the dwarven caravan. That was odd.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Yourself86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 08:19:45 pm »

I did notice the humans bring an entire wagon of wood in the second year (first human caravan) after I'd asked for tons of Tower Caps from the dwarven caravan. That was odd.

Wouldn't work for me since i'm only getting human liaisons, but no dwarven ;)