Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Castles!  (Read 5483 times)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Castles!
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 04:09:47 pm »

hishan i coulnt think of that design to be a tower,cause you will have too much room that will go to a waste.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2008, 05:41:11 pm »

I want to see Analfish finish his great city. That last shot was a month and a half ago. What else has he added.

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2008, 06:07:49 pm »

Tower? That'd be a hive city.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2008, 07:31:44 pm »

hishan i coulnt think of that design to be a tower,cause you will have too much room that will go to a waste.
Not really, that's only the section where the workshops were housed.  With a little planning, you could even add another ring around the outside if you needed more room.  Each floor contains up to 64 3x3 rooms.  You'd need at most 3 levels for dwarf rooms (192 rooms), a floor or two for the nobility (8 rooms per floor), a floor for farms/dining (8 rooms) one floor for workshops (64 rooms) and everything else (storage/stores/etc.) could be placed in whatever remaining z-levels you have.  A basic tower to accommodate 200 dwarfs and workshops would only need to be 11 levels (including 4 floors of mineral/object warehousing to separate the living quarters from the workshops.)  After that, adding more levels would add more storage and fluff.  Ok, maybe make the first 4 levels the barracks, practice areas, trade depot and first defense.... 15 levels.  I've been on more than enough maps that are more than 15 levels although you may want to put some of the space below ground.  Maybe the workshop, storage and barracks.  Then with spare miner time, you can have them dig out a slopped area around the tower for a dramatic touch and a fairly good defensive advantage (have fortifications around the circumference.)  Heck, here's a pyramid I started that has at least 10 levels above ground on a flat map:
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/7393/pyramidqu1.png
It's situated around a magma pipe in the center of the map and covered with Obsidian ramps:
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1074/pyramidundergroundod7.png
I had planned on mining out the ground around the pyramid to reveal it when I was done, but this was another project set aside by other things.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 01:59:01 pm »

I don't see your point about the floating towers of Seabreaker . :/ looks fine to me.

However I do wonder how the water-pumps are going to be powered?
Can't see any mechanisms there...
Also, there is nowhere for the water to go besides the sewers(? cant see any obvious entry for enemies to fall into) under the roads.

maybe with sidecanals and wells it can be usefull. :)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 04:34:22 am »

well i have decided
Tower? That'd be a hive city.
well, i'm up for it! the castle can wait here I've a tower planned!
thank you for your help! please feel free to continue to post

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 09:22:53 am »

I ALWAYS biuld a tower in my forts, it gives the haulers something to do, but this design could well be used for functionality instead of just showing off. I may design a scaled down version and try that, maybe like 2/3 the size

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 05:44:43 pm »

my fort is going to be a huge hive city with the nobles on the upper levels. and an opening to push them out off.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 06:20:25 pm »

I'm building an ice keep on a glacier. No images of the whole thing right now (i've about finished the middle part, but thats it).

I present to you: The crying clown.

Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 09:31:10 pm »

It's situated around a magma pipe in the center of the map and covered with Obsidian ramps:
http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/1074/pyramidundergroundod7.png
I had planned on mining out the ground around the pyramid to reveal it when I was done, but this was another project set aside by other things.

Also planned on having magma pumped up to the top and then cascading down along the sides?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 09:43:10 pm »

my fort is going to be a huge hive city with the nobles on the upper levels. and an opening to push them out off.
sweet. Let the purple rain commence.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 03:35:56 am »

Let the bodies hit the floor
let the bodies hit the floor
let the bodies hit the floor!
and the rest. oh and it will be into a pit filled with wild animals. and sometimes i am just gonna drop them in from one z level!
Let the bodies hit the floor
And get eaten by some elves
Let the bodies hit floor! and get snacked upon

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 10:52:28 am »

areyar thats actualy pretty good idea,imagine coming from the top,a magama thats covering the whole,pyramid.

how will the pyramids tips be made and will the pyramid just be the seven founders tombs,only tombs nothing else?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 02:21:59 pm »

areyar thats actualy pretty good idea,imagine coming from the top,a magama thats covering the whole,pyramid.

how will the pyramids tips be made and will the pyramid just be the seven founders tombs,only tombs nothing else?
My pyramid was meant to be the fortress and a personal interest piece.  It would be horrible to defend as monsters could just walk over it to the entrance from any angle.  The tips would also not render properly in 3Dwarf.  It would look like 4 spikes sticking straight out the top.  I hadn't thought about magma down the sides, but I thought about water from the aquifer level at mid point.  Since it's a freezing map, it would be no challenge to dig out an area and wall off the aquifer to avoid filling the surrounding pit.  The pyramid would be a self contained factory as well since the aquifer tiles inside the walls would produce inifinite water.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2008, 04:12:52 pm »

Ok i finished my ice tower on this glacier. Note, this is a different fortress than my last picture. So heres the map:

Idorushat
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.
Pages: 1 [2] 3