Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Castles!  (Read 5477 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Castles!
« on: August 02, 2008, 06:46:51 pm »

please, i am starting to build a castle could everybody with one give ideas or pictures on the subject. we would all enjoy it!

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Castles!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 07:00:22 pm »

Check out this lovely creation.. It should give you lots of hope :) (not mine btw, geez i WISH i made that)

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2912-seabreakerthetownoffortune

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 07:06:41 pm »

Motte and bailey style castles are kewl.

A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 07:19:19 pm »

ooooo! and that castle is beyond awesome. i just wish goblins could scale walls.

getting some good ideas here! keep it up!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 09:32:46 pm »

Here is a castle that I am building.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-3142-playpapers-harracoth

It is quite an efficient design as everything underground is aligned along 9 staircases. The workshops, dinning rooms, stockpiles and bedrooms are all close to each other yet far enough away to stop noise pollution.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 10:01:00 pm »

Unfortunatly, I erased my castle design. Let me tell you that I know a bit about this subject. You can do it really nicely if you create a small "mine entrance" and mine a series of winding corridors. You get a nice "dungeon" effect over there and get plenty of material for the castle construction. You can later connect the mines to the castle to make an "escape" hatch. It also makes a good place to set wicked traps and place your best artifacts.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is an impressive one, but I see some problems. Look at the towers, appearing to "hover" in the air. Annoying.
Another thing would be the tower setup.

I prefer 2 wide walls in my castle walls, with the outer ones ending in fortifications. Also, towers should have fortifications in them so to provide places to fire out of.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Only 1 Z-level. It's not an impressive castle. I feel walls should be at least 2 Z-levels, towers should extend at least 2 beyond the hight of the walls. Really the best tactic is to buckle down and make one.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 10:32:46 pm »

I hadn't actually finished building that one yet. The reason I posted it was because the foundations are down and you can see what direction I am heading in.

Tnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 12:38:32 am »

Nice castle you got there fey, do you turn off invaders when you build the walls and stuff? I plan to build a huge castle too but really don't want my main seven to get killed by ambushers :\

@Kogan, the sea castle I linked to is still in the building process, the guy didn't add in fortifications yet.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 12:50:45 am »

Nup, invaders are on. I haven't yet had any ambushes, I have been lucky so far. Ambushers don't usually appear until the third year for me.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 12:57:48 am »

This was my third or fourth attempt at a Dwarf Fortress... Never finished it because the goblins wiped me out using a hole I had made to increase efficiency, clients were updated and I never kept the files to reclaim.

I used a common area size (10x10 areas, 3 wide halls, pillared and stair-cased hallway intersections) and divided each area up into sub rooms depending on the usage.  It was never completed, lay in ruins in a virtual world and will never be revived.  (Mainly because DF lacked a mass build feature.)

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-2212-oiledsqueezed  (level 15, zoom 2.5 seems to be a good overview...) I wish I had known about 3Dwarf when I started.  I would have loved to see that.

That was eventually put aside for a very elaborate layout (inspired by a Star Wars scene in the Death Star) that suffered a similar fate:  http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/3226/moistpaged18region11055hk5.png
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 08:16:07 am »

Please to show higher resolution of the starwars inspired one.  Looks awesome.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 02:03:53 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't have one... as that fortress and it's plans are long lost.  That was the last image I had still online because I haven't taken it down.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 02:41:03 pm »

Unfortunately, I don't have one... as that fortress and it's plans are long lost.  That was the last image I had still online because I haven't taken it down.

I opened it up in paint and did a bit of rebiulding. I know its not perfectly right, but the basic plan is there. (I presume thats what you wanted it for) Its a very intricate design, i may build a tower with each level having that design  :P

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 03:07:46 pm »

I just realized, the region files were still in my recycle bin.  Man I need to clear that out:
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/5454/moistpaged18region21055qx1.png

As you can see, it's still in construction.  Quite unfinished, and still has some stairs where they shouldn't be (namely the center of the rings.)  The interface makes designating all that very cumbersome.  It's probably why I stopped working with that dungeon.  If/when I get around to making my live map editor for DF with better designation controls, I may go back to the design.  Below the front circle are the storage areas for the stone, furniture, etc.  It uses a layout just like the last ring (which was planned to be my noble's quarters/offices.)  You could pretty easily build a tower using the design.  You would have to plan it out though in order to keep the living quarters away from the workshops by using warehouse space as a filler.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 03:37:41 pm »

Much better than my attempt!
Pages: [1] 2 3