Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Castles!  (Read 5475 times)

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Castles!
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2008, 05:01:15 pm »

The castles I usually build have 2 walls, one inner and one outer, with a thickness of 3.

There is generally one main way for wagons that leads from  outside of the fortress through the inner and outer wall to the entrance of the mine system, via a system of multiple platforms connected by retractable bridges (you cannot enter the battlements of the 2 walls via this way) and the 2 walls are connected to each other via another retractable bridge (with you being able to only enter the 2 walls via the inner wall. If anyone is caught at the ground between the 2 walls with the bridges retracted he has no way to get on any of the 2 walls (only to a middle platform where he will be an easy target for crossbowmen) .

Sometimes, especially if I build on flat ground, the fortress also houses a keep that is connected to the inner wall via another retractable bridge and is the only normal entrance to the underground structures of the fortress.

I was somehow inspired by the walls of Constatinople for my system (which were probably the most invincible city walls in the mdieval ages until the turks finally were able to defeat the fortifications with mighty cannons. Here a link to a wikipedia article with plans and some pics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walls_of_Constantinople)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 05:03:20 pm by Proteus »

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2008, 05:34:26 pm »

We should have a contest to recreate various real-life castles or other locations for awesomeness in 3ddwarf.

Or better yet...how about that river in the Fellowship of the Rings movie with the two big statues of the guys holding out their hands? That would be mad epic.
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2008, 12:40:30 am »

Anyone wanna build Paranor? It would fit in very well with DF as it involves a waterfall, magma pipes, sheer 20 story cliffs,massive towers and even HFS (at the bottom of the Druids wells).

A map if anyone is interested:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2008, 03:20:31 pm »

I always make my forts castles. Or at least try to. They're always quite elaborate. From the living/working quarters (centred around a 3 by 3 staircase all the way down) out the defences are plentiful. First off on z-1 there's a little floodable and trapped chamber. This connects the entrance to the fort. Then there's the main keep: a 21 by 21 tower all the way up. Then, another SHIFT+arrow away, is another wall, possibly with towers at the corners, followed by a moat, 5 deep, at the same distance. And then there is the outer wall. A large arch (15 high, 15 wide and 5 deep) is the entrance in the 5 wide wall, consisting of a 2 wide wall, a 2 wide walkway and a 1 wide wall. Next to the entrance are also the barracks/training grounds/weapon and armour depot/food and booze stockpile. I have no screenshots of this construction yet, but I'll try to provide some.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2008, 07:34:21 pm »

This is an impressive one, but I see some problems. Look at the towers, appearing to "hover" in the air. Annoying.
Another thing would be the tower setup.

Um.. I'm really confused by this statement. 'Hover in the air'? Looking at that map, I see nothing that appears to be hovering.

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2008, 09:35:09 am »

The last fort that I made had a nice setup with an outer wall with a gate on the south, then an inner wall with the gate on the north face. Whichever way the goblins want to go, they need to run a gauntlet of Marksdwarves behind fortifications on top of the walls. I only had one goblin reach the interior of my fortress due to a lot of my Marksdwarves being asleep.

Glass disc trap minced him up.
Pages: 1 2 [3]