Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress look-alike aka Dungeon Master on BYOND.com  (Read 14388 times)

Mr. T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress look-alike aka Dungeon Master on BYOND.com
« on: August 02, 2008, 01:56:13 am »

The game appears and disappears due to hosting problems, but I looks like this is a clone of Dwarf Fortress with music, sprite graphics, and an in depth system with some innovations not seen in Dwarf Fortress, but otherwise a copy, with the adventure and strategy mix, starting with wagons, similar combat damage system, and even the mushroom-logs for wood in caves. The coding for BYOND is similar to Java, and techniques could be transferable. The creator's screen-name is Ginseng.

I used to get on BYOND a lot and knew of this before I played Dwarf Fortress, and though Dwarf Fortress is better, if the information was shared the results would be amazing for both parties.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
Re: Dwarf Fortress look-alike aka Dungeon Master on BYOND.com
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 02:08:46 am »

Toady's said before he doesn't want to work with others, and personally I don't see why he'd team up with someone who is already making a similar (and inevitably inferior) game.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 04:20:40 am by Capntastic »

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 04:47:53 am »

The games have two very big differences, one is multiplayer the other isn't.

Kholint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 07:25:25 am »

BYOND is fantastic, lovely and gorgeous ( ;) ), but you'd be hard pressed to get something on the scale of DF running smoothly.
It actually supports features like a DF-style text mode right of the box, but it's simply not fast enough to run all the pathfinding and such that DF does in real-time and get a decent frame rate.

Still, they're welcome to try!

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 07:55:23 am »

Why was Byond still on my hard drive...

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 09:04:22 am »

Thanks for the new bookmarked game site ;D
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Mr. T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 07:09:25 pm »

If Toady doesn't want to, that's his prerogative. Personally, while I played BYOND first, I'm disappointed to know that Ginseng basically ripped the game from Toady, especially when I've known how good Gin is at making games. I thought Toady might want to know that somebody basically stole the idea, what he does with the information is not my concern. Still, it IS multiplayer, real-time, and has a lot of races to play as well, and it makes me wonder, if Toady worked out a system like that, Dwarf Fortress would be at a new level entirely. Also, the BYOND engine gives good clues as to how to utilize tilesets. Look at Mystic Journey, Failed Fate 0, Resident Evil Apocalypse, they are good examples of games, and their tilesets usage is great, from creating auto-aim sniper rifles in a real-time top-down view game, to flawless animations and even morphing powers. Also, add those games to your list if you're a BYOND fan...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 06:13:13 am »

Hm this game is like DF, has multiplayer and tilesets?! I gotta try this out!  :o 8)

Mikademus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pirate ninja dwarves for great justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 06:25:42 am »

I thought Toady might want to know that somebody basically stole the idea, what he does with the information is not my concern.

Well, you can't copyright ideas (regardless of what the abortion the American paten office has turned into is giving the impression of). Also, copying ideas is good because it allows refinement of a concept and constitutes evolutionary pressure that forces all competitors, including the original, to improve.

The thing is, even if a competitor (Dungeon Master, which btw still is a trademarked name) is functionally inferior, if it looks prettier it will still be more popular. And all that has been reading this forum for some time knows that two of the most wanted improvements to DF are presentation (graphics) and user interface.
You are a pirate!

Quote from: Silverionmox
Quote from: bjlong
If I wanted to recreate the world of one of my favorite stories, I should be able to specify that there is a civilization called Groan, ruled by Earls from a castle called Gormanghast.
You won't have trouble supplying the Countess with cats, or producing the annual idols to be offerred to the castle. Every fortress is a pale reflection of Ghormenghast..

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 09:12:10 am »

It's odd that someone would remake DF with an even worse interface.  I can barely select and deselect units it's so laggy.

Mr. T

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 10:46:00 am »

I think it's more the BYOND engine than the game itself that makes the lag. All the other games have lag, too. And the latest version of the game is worse than the previous one, along with a usually absent host, so I don't play it much anymore. Also, the combat system is much crappier, and the other players roleplay like idiots. Then they cry when I get annoyed and start killing off their adventurers...that almost makes up for the problems...almost.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 03:52:28 pm »

Hm Ive just tried this game...it could be interesting, but its quite slow at the moment, the interface is quite crap just like in DF now, the graphics is ugly [if it supports tiles, the developer should make a proper tileset, because as I see most of these images were made with ms paint in 10 minutes], the gameplay is not really fun either. The idea is good anyways, but the quality of the "product" is quite bad.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 04:21:09 pm »

Direct link for anyone who's interested:
http://www.byond.com/games/Ginseng/DungeonMaster
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2008, 04:28:28 pm »

The interface in this Dungeon Master is much much worse I think, there's also quite a bit of latency. I can never tell what the hell my units are doing, there's a definite lack of feedback and information functions from what I can tell.

It's neat there's a multiplayer DF-alike out there, though they should do the honorable thing and mention DF. They still have their niche (multiplayer), but this BYOND Dungeon Master thing wouldn't exist if not for DF.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2008, 04:32:15 pm »

You'd think they'd at least give a shout out to Dwarf Fortress.

But it doesn't really surprise me, there's a Wesnoth rip-off on BYOND as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3