Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Free stuff!  (Read 2971 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Free stuff!
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 08:00:21 pm »

I think that magma would be a much better way to kill traders, it would only leave the important stuff, Steel.
When all your dwarves' clothes are lying around like 400+ Xxpigtail socksxX it's useful to have all that cloth though.

(I drown merchants - release magma/lava on invaders)

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 10:46:43 pm »

That's like asking why they sterilise the needles before lethal injections.

Somebody, somewhere, knows the answer. But damned if anyone cares.

I figure it's because a stay of execution can come after the injection has been administered, and the process can be reversed up to a certain point. A pardoned criminal suing because he got herpes from his executioner? No one wants that.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2008, 12:37:11 am »

I've had wagons toppled by waves on ocean-side maps. I never got any trade...

I had that too. You need to provide them with a tunnel of some sort away from the waves or else it'll keep destroying the wagons.

Or you could set up a system so if traders you don't like come, you pull the lever, and they go along the shore instead or the tunnel and end up getting wave-whacked (thus free stuff but pissed merchants).
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2008, 01:16:23 am »

I figure it's because a stay of execution can come after the injection has been administered, and the process can be reversed up to a certain point. A pardoned criminal suing because he got herpes from his executioner? No one wants that.

If we allow for the potential of a last minute decision change, perhaps we shouldn't have them slated for execution.

Kageshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2008, 02:10:46 am »

If we allow for the potential of a last minute decision change, perhaps we shouldn't have them slated for execution.

It's an issue of our national policy against "cruel and unusual punishment."  An unsterilized needle or other poorly maintained execution means could cause undue pain and suffering.  They're losing their life as it is, there's no need make them suffer on the way out.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 04:43:44 pm »

When all your dwarves' clothes are lying around like 400+ Xxpigtail socksxX it's useful to have all that cloth though.

What's up with that anyway... I always end up with a million random socks laying arround my military barracks.  It's almost as if Dwarven wrestling consists attempting to remove your  openents footwear and tickle them into submission.
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 04:54:59 pm »

Blood & death =! Free

From the discussions I've seen around here, blood and death are an added bonus. :)

No, the free stuff is the added bonus.  ;D
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

Khain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2008, 04:03:09 pm »

It's an issue of our national policy against "cruel and unusual punishment."  An unsterilized needle or other poorly maintained execution means could cause undue pain and suffering.  They're losing their life as it is, there's no need make them suffer on the way out.

If thats the case then why not kill them with laughing gas? Tbh the death penalty needs to cause pain for people to be afraid of it. Besides, if they dont want to inflict 'undue suffering' then why do they have death row? Surely waiting for 15 years knowing that your going to die cant be fun?
Khain is a dubious worshipper of Stozu Oxtrararstruck Baxstutspen

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2008, 04:07:54 pm »

Too bad the elves can't figure out that I just seize marked :D

cbfog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2008, 09:57:39 pm »

Maybe all death sentences could be carried out by an alcoholic midget in medieval armor wielding a steel war hammer.
Pages: 1 [2]