Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ah, Armok brings back memories  (Read 12196 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ah, Armok brings back memories
« on: July 31, 2008, 09:44:43 pm »

I was a fan of the old Slaves of Armok project. Personally, I was working on something similar, with more focus on combat, but Armok somehow got me to scrap the design and go ultra-realistic. Which didn't work, because real combat strays away from physics. Anyway, my project has taken a new turn, based on ki chuan do now, which gives it a more amusing gameplay.

But yeah, it caught me by surprise when I saw that Dwarf Fortress was related to Slaves of Armok. I always thought the game had potential, but not THIS much potential. I do hope DF will get tiles one day. It'll be less embarrassing to play in front of modern gamers. I'm happy to draw them up if I knew how.

Haha, and the irony was that I was confused to who signed up under the nick of Muz and my email address here. Turns out that it was me from a few years back.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Ah, Armok brings back memories
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 08:37:36 am »

DF supports tiles already (there are some pretty nice ones too), look in the mod forum.

also, you can post a link to you own project in Other Games, it sounds kina interesting...
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 09:22:55 am »

There are plans to improve the interface anyway, although Toady has said he will do some other stuff first. It's in the interviews.
Eh?
Eh!

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 04:23:58 am »

Lol, my game's in the 4th redesign; in the interface building phase. 2.5 and 3rd designs were actually inspired by Slaves of Armok.

The sheer irony was that I learned of the existence of Bay 12 because of Liberal Crime Squad and wanted to find an equally crappy game because I just love political games.

I'm used to roguelikes, but Dwarf Fortress really needs a makeover. It is both horrendously ugly and beautiful. I like the way the grass sways, water flows, and the little grasshoppers and rats hop around the food store. But really, the graphics just don't do justice. I think after all the effort of building the fortress, I'd like to know how it'd really look like.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 09:22:36 am »

Why must you need graphics? Your mind should be able enough to convert the ASCII into other images.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 11:24:27 pm »

Because I like them? I'm the type of guy who plays games like Stronghold, Castles, Simcity, Civ4 and Tropico to see the large, beautiful place I created get knocked into pieces. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, even with ASCII. But graphics add a lot of extra charm.. I know it does because in the last two games I've made, the graphics made a huge amount of difference. I'd love to make a graphics mod for DF if I had the time to figure out how ;D

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 03:41:06 pm »

Because I like them? I'm the type of guy who plays games like Stronghold, Castles, Simcity, Civ4 and Tropico to see the large, beautiful place I created get knocked into pieces. Don't get me wrong, I love the game, even with ASCII. But graphics add a lot of extra charm.. I know it does because in the last two games I've made, the graphics made a huge amount of difference. I'd love to make a graphics mod for DF if I had the time to figure out how ;D

I like beautiful graphics in certain games. Hell, I loved playing Oblivion (with Oscuro's), Gothic 3, and especially Mass Effect just for some of the incredible scenery.

But even though Toady plans on spicing up the graphics interface eventually, DF isn't a game where you need graphics. It's like reading a book: because the scenery is so imprinted on your mind you should be able to envision it how you want. And honestly I sorta like it that way and dread the prospect of any future graphical conversion.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 05:43:37 am »

Use 3Dwarf.
It will convert your fortress to a BLOWING MINDS IMAGES!
But no creatures.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 02:54:46 pm »

DF isn't a game where you need graphics. It's like reading a book: because the scenery is so imprinted on your mind you should be able to envision it how you want. And honestly I sorta like it that way and dread the prospect of any future graphical conversion.

I disagree. Kinda. Initially it wasn't a game where you needed graphics (and I really like ASCII myself, and prefer it in most Roguelikes) but with its 3D terrain, some sort of even 3D ASCII interface would be handy (or an updated in-game visualization.) Only because, as of now, it's fine in gentle, rolling hills or a forest, but it's hard to perceive the land as a whole when you're in the mountains. After using 3Dwarf once, I realized certain shapes and neat effects in the land I couldn't see in the ASCII as well.

Not that I really care; I'm quite happy with ASCII, but if we're purely talking about *improvement*, then I'd bring that up. I don't think I could use tiles, though. Roguelikes designed for ASCII with tiles thrown in always look... bleh. I couldn't stand Angband's tiles, NetHack's 24x24 / 32x32 ones were pretty good. IVAN was designed for graphics, and it did damn well with them, for instance.

The interface improvement (resize-able window) is a great leap though, I can't wait to try it.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 07:16:49 pm »

I'm still convinced that someone's got the old version of Armok stuffed away from a long time ago, with cities and all.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 10:05:41 pm »

I recently played a game of armok.
It eventually errored on me but first I got to witness, and make clothes out of, a huge rain of tree debris(hint: stand back first) from using some kind of magic on a tree.

It would be nice if someone started working on armok...
Even a third party quality edior may make this a more interesting game.

Of course, I would NEVER demand Toady's time for this, although if someone else picked it up(like LCS) at least a few people would be interested.
Eh?
Eh!

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 10:52:02 pm »

Problem no. 1: It has some of Dwarf Fortress's combat code.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 06:01:09 am »

I'm pretty sure you can dual wield in it though, and I think Toady said something about there being diffrent stats. The current version is too damn boring for me to get interested in.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 07:16:43 pm »

Well, you can set any limb to be used(I think) and the probability of using it.
Eh?
Eh!

zorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2008, 01:34:15 am »

Ahem.
As i saw somewhere, (might be a sig?)
Dwarf Fortress is like the Matrix.
After a while, you stop seeing the code, and start seeing what it represents
Dwarf Fortress is fine without graphics, In my opinion, until Toady blesses a Tile Set and gives it his seal of approval.
Just my 10 cents.
Pages: [1] 2