Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pop limits, immigration, and pregnancy. And childhood, probably.  (Read 1437 times)

Konis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I want to try starting with my 1st 7 dwarves and growing from there, with no immigrants ever.  I dunno, the Redneck/Inbreeding challenge?  The Brady Bunch challenge?  Anyway, I've been looking around here and the questions section, and the wiki too, and it sounds like it's possible, but I can't quite tell how.  So, questions:

1) Can I turn off all immigration without resorting to population caps?

2) If I have to use population caps, that will restrict pregnancy and kids, right?

3) If I do want to change the childhood time (12 years would be a while for just 7 dwarves), as well as the chance of marriage/pregnancy, where is that done?

Thanks a bunch, and of course if these can't be done directly, any workarounds would be appreciated as well.

Hamel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pop limits, immigration, and pregnancy. And childhood, probably.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 03:21:56 pm »

1: No, not that I know of.

2: No. There are two different pop caps in the init.txt file, the child cap and the normal pop cap, the child pop cap stops children from being born if you have as many 'child' dwarves as the cap. The normal one stops immigrations if you have as many dwarves (adult or child) as the cap.

3: I believe that is done in the 'dwarf' creature file.

Basically you need to set your normal pop cap at 1 and your child cap at however many dwarves you want.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:24:55 pm by Hamel »

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 08:20:57 pm »

If you get lucky (or unlucky) you can gen a world where the dwarves have all been wiped out at some point. Put the dwarf civ # in entity to max of only a couple, and put few mountains. You'll only get rejections if the dwarves have nowhere to start their civ, not if they get conquered during the history gen.

If this happens you'll be able to choose a dwarf fort without actually having a mountainhome; you'll get no caravans, and no immigration, no nobles.

Konis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 02:38:48 pm »

So, just so I have this straight:

If I set my adult pop cap at 7 or anything below, no new adults will show up (including immigrants) after the start.  And if I set my child pop cap at, say, 20, then I'll get up to 20 children.  But the adult population cap doesn't prevent children growing up, so 12 years after the 1st dwarfling is born, I'll have 8 adults and 19 children.  Meaning I can have all the growth I want with no immigrants if I keep the adult cap low and the child cap high? 

'Cause that's basically perfect for me.  And I'll have to play with tweaking when puberty happens . . .

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 02:52:10 pm »

So, just so I have this straight:

If I set my adult pop cap at 7 or anything below, no new adults will show up (including immigrants) after the start.

Unfortunately, probably not. The last time I tried, I kept getting immigrants in each wave (who promptly got killed by ambushers - the actual fort was walled off) - I had the pop cap set at 5 or 6 and already had 6-8 dwarves. (I had 6, but saved two immigrants by having them build a mini-fort on the river. Actually, it took something like 6 immigration waves to build the mini-fort, since they tended to get killed off before getting too many more walls built.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 04:23:46 pm »

I have a question regarding children and stuff.

If I remove the baby and child tags, will dwarves be born as peasants? Because that would be awesome.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 01:13:43 am »

I have a question regarding children and stuff.

If I remove the baby and child tags, will dwarves be born as peasants? Because that would be awesome.

Nope. If you remove those, you will get no children and your dwarves will never reproduce.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 01:40:16 am »

The baby-child cap is funky. One of the numbers is percentage compared to adults, the other is total children. The higher number is always the percentage, I've heard. Not sure about that, though. Anyway, setting the numbers to something like 50:100 with seven dwarves would mean you'd only get seven children, until they start growing up.

As a side not, you might consider editing the amount of time it takes a dwarf to grow up. Twelve years is a boring wait. Change these tags [CHILD:12][BABY:1] in the dwarf entry in creature_standard to whatever you want them to be.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 02:52:40 am »

You can remove [BABY:1] to have dwarves be born as children, I think.

But I don't know if you can remove both, does anybody know? I want my dwarves to be born as peasants right away.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.