Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 49

Author Topic: Improved Farming  (Read 140753 times)

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Farming
« Reply #645 on: August 23, 2010, 04:44:34 pm »

Ok, horse of a different oder there.

So how is the soil chemistry going to be played? Is it indirect action through planting of various crops on a plot? Will there be any direct user action, and if so what will it be?

Note that hunting and fishing would become much more important in this system, if the map allowed it, and would probably help a lot to reduce the estimates of plot/farmer sprawl suggested. Otherwise... yeah, if you look at medieval tech, the suggestion is (if anything) too generous. I approve.

Hunting and Fishing are currently capped. Population of wildlife runs out and then the rate of hunting/fishing is dependent on the respawn rate of wildlife. In my forts it only takes one or two hunters and two fishermen to completely use up the incoming animals. So if hunting and fishing are to play a more significant role in feeding the population, then the rate at which critters re-appear in the zone is going to have to increase.

The same situation will happen for farming that requires wood as the prime resource. A ceiling will be hit, which is the regrowth rate of trees. It will also cause a big difference in initial productivity between the different levels of forestation. The number of useful embark zones will go down, with the scales being tipped even further toward Thickly Forested as the preferred embark.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 08:45:18 pm by AngleWyrm »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 23, 2010, 10:56:40 pm »

Hunting and Fishing are currently capped. Population of wildlife runs out and then the rate of hunting/fishing is dependent on the respawn rate of wildlife. In my forts it only takes one or two hunters and two fishermen to completely use up the incoming animals. So if hunting and fishing are to play a more significant role in feeding the population, then the rate at which critters re-appear in the zone is going to have to increase.

The same situation will happen for farming that requires wood as the prime resource. A ceiling will be hit, which is the regrowth rate of trees. It will also cause a big difference in initial productivity between the different levels of forestation. The number of useful embark zones will go down, with the scales being tipped even further toward Thickly Forested as the preferred embark.

Actually, I hope the large wildlife respawn rate goes down.  Currently, any time animals are killed or walk off the map, the next batch immediately walk on another edge.  It's actually silly how quickly the dead are replaced.  The only real threat to an end of hunting's usefulness is actually killing off every single elk in the entire biome, which often has thousands of the creatures.  Having a minimum time between creature spawns would help greatly.

If forested areas become more useful because you have more use for trees... so what?  They're already fairly useful because most people already find plenty of use for trees, and people often specifically embark on forested areas because of that.  What's actually more purposeful is to make players more aware of water concerns, and making sure they will be able to embark on an area with enough continuous water supply to feed their farms, more than trees.  Embarking on a desert should make it harder to grow crops; There's a reason why most areas in the world that practice major agriculture are either in deforested areas or on top of major aquifers.

And yes, the number of trees you can harvest per year is limited.  I specifically mentioned this, and why it is a good thing.

So how is the soil chemistry going to be played? Is it indirect action through planting of various crops on a plot? Will there be any direct user action, and if so what will it be?

I'm a little confused by these questions, if you are asking what I think you are asking, I just answered these questions a couple days ago.  If not, could you specify what you are asking?

Spoiler: Recap (click to show/hide)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 24, 2010, 08:03:23 pm »

And yes, the number of trees you can harvest per year is limited.  I specifically mentioned this, and why it is a good thing.

It sets an upper limit on the amount of food generated from trees. That limit will be different for each level of forestation. It does not remove the question of how much food is the right amount for a fortress to generate, but it partially hands the question off to the forestry division. It will require figuring out how many trees vs how many mushrooms generated. If it only affects a limited number of the total possible crops, then it could be interesting to choose crops based on local conditions.

The questions I asked boil down to How do you play with this? For instance, I can see planting some nitrogen rich crop in order to boost the nitrogen in soil. There would have to be a way to monitor the nitrogen levels in the soil and the plant. Perhaps 'Q'uerrying a farm plot gives an additional menu item for 'S'oil metrics. Then those metrics could be represented by bars in the same way that selecting how much wood you want from a liason is a bar. The bar could have a marker for current reading (two-color bar), and a second marker for the requirements of what is planted (different glyph). The player can then select a crop, switch to soil metrics, and see the fit, escape back to select another crop, and in this way learn the details of the various real and imaginary plants in the game universe. A marker that is at one extreme means the soil is rich in that metric, or the plant consumes much of that metric. A marker that is at the other extreme means the soil is poor, or that the plant returns more than it consumes.

The available soil chemistry readings (Nitrogen, Potassium, Phosphorus, pH, Water, Biomass*) could be presented in one page similar to the liason orders pages. The desired setting is of course the needs for the current crop, and dwarves should automatically go about watering, fertilizing, and treating the soil to reach that target, provided there is a supply of the various nutrients.

The supply of nutrients are going to cost money to bring in from the Caravan Arc. It will be necessary to decide how much money it will cost in order to raise each crop until harvest. Note that the cost will vary according to how close to the crop's nutrient requirements the soil already is. Which also suggests that the various rock and soil types may have different base level set points.

These base level readings per soil/rock type could be the springboard that feeds into a wide variety of imaginary flora, covering unusual rock types as well as more typical plants covering basic soil types. Maybe different undergrowth flourishes in sedimentary layers, due to several metrics being in the same basic configuration. There might only be a few characteristic configurations to start, with refinements and their additional ecosystems being added over time.

*Just a note on dimensionality:If there are a mere three settings for each of six soil metrics (little/medium/lots) then 3^6=729 distinct soil configurations. Increasing the resolution to ten steps each results in 10^6=1 million unique soil signatures.

And just because every good thread needs pictures: A typical day on the farm
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:09:32 am by AngleWyrm »

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 24, 2010, 09:04:26 pm »

Currently, any time animals are killed or walk off the map, the next batch immediately walk on another edge.  It's actually silly how quickly the dead are replaced.

I've *Never* had this happen before, what type of area's are you embarking in? I usually have to go several ingame years without animals nearby at times.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 24, 2010, 09:38:11 pm »

Currently, any time animals are killed or walk off the map, the next batch immediately walk on another edge.  It's actually silly how quickly the dead are replaced.

I've *Never* had this happen before, what type of area's are you embarking in? I usually have to go several ingame years without animals nearby at times.
That's how it works in my fortress.  Might possibly have to do with how many animals are in the region you embark in?  I'm in the middle of a huge, isolated evil desert so I'm pretty sure there's thousands of these zombie camels I'm constantly killing.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: August 26, 2010, 10:13:01 pm »

Sorry to take a while in responding, but AngleWyrm, I'm going to respond to your main question by just posting the "recap thread", which should hopefully answer you question... it's just been taking me a couple days, because I get distracted, and it's just getting a little "Too long; didn't write" to sit there and copy down what I've already written, and reformat it... It's so much easier to get motivated for writing these long things when it's in response to someone than when I'm just writing to the ether.

Anyway, to respond to the thing about hunting, first, I was talking about hunting, not fishing, I personally never even fish at all anymore, because I could deplete the entire turtle stock in my murky pools in just a couple months, anyway.  Those are typically very low unless you have a lake or something.

For hunting, however, I always see creatures spawn on the edge of the map the instant the last member of a group of animals is removed from being actively on the map.  (I don't hunt, I just set cage traps and wait for them to be filled.)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: August 27, 2010, 07:18:13 pm »

I have two fishermen and two fish cleaners in my current fort of 90-ish dwarves. The four of them produce approximately 1/3 of all the food in my food storage area. I measured this by selling all my fish barrels to the caravan, and it left about 1/3 of my food storage area empty. My farming team consists of six growers, and two each of brewer, cook, and thresher.

...And even then, you have a choice between spreading raw sewage on the fields and composting it first, which makes the manure safer (more crops tolerate it, and it is less likely to spread weeds and pests) but releases many of the nutrients (especially Nitrogen) from the compost.  The benefit of this being that it would create a "closed loop ecosystem", where most nutrients stay within the fortress, and also that it would make you choose which fields get priority for the limited supply of fertilizer - do you balance it out, or grow some crops with high nutrient needs and let the other fields suffer lower overall nutrient replinishment, forcing a greater dependency upon Nitrogen-fixation crops and light feeders, and generally sacrificing productivity in one field for the productivity of another.

In order to make a "closed loop ecosystem" it should include the consumption and output of dwarves, which suggests modelling dwarf manure. It could also make chickens a valuable part of the system.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:27:26 pm by AngleWyrm »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #652 on: August 27, 2010, 09:52:33 pm »

Yes, I specifically want dwarves to have manure, as it's the best way to balance the game, as I argued a page back:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And regarding manures, even though I said the following...

That was meant mostly in jest... I really don't expect even Toady would start stating out every single creature's excriment so that we can have some kind of rare animal with miraculous "golden poo" that is treasured for fertilizing any soil beyond the dreams of any farmer.  (Of course, it is Toady we're talking about...)

I do somewhat hope, however, that we have at least a basic nutrition system, following something at least as simple as differentiating "meat", "grain", "vegetables", and "fruit" (not really sure where mushrooms would fall under that catagory...  Google search generally says "vegetable", but I'm sure with the wacky way mushrooms work in DF, there can be some in every food group), and that if we are tracking that data, maybe we can have different kinds of manure based upon what creatures have been eating...
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: August 27, 2010, 09:59:43 pm »

(not really sure where mushrooms would fall under that catagory...  Google search generally says "vegetable", but I'm sure with the wacky way mushrooms work in DF, there can be some in every food group)

Biologically they're a fungus.  Culinary-ily speaking they're a vegetable.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: August 27, 2010, 11:17:27 pm »

Modelling Manure:

If we accept the seven-degree measure of soil as (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, pH, Water, BioMass) and use a simple 5-point rating system as {'very low', 'low', 'medium', 'high', 'very high'} then there will be 5^7 = 78 125 possible soil conditions, which ought to be more than sufficient variety for creating ecosystems.

Manure would be used to fertilize the soil. In order to do that, the manure would have a seven-degree measure of what kind of "soil" it is. Then adding manure to a plot could be as simple as a vector addition of (soil + manure) / 2. This would allow manure to pull the soil's metrics in the direction of the manure. If the manure is 'very high' in nitrogen, then the combination would be closer to 'very high' Nitrogen. On the other hand, if a manure is 'very low' in a given metric (maybe it is very dry), then the soil's watered condition would be pulled toward 'very low' Water.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:31:38 pm by AngleWyrm »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: August 27, 2010, 11:34:07 pm »

If we accept the seven-degree measure of soil as (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, pH, Water, BioMass) and use a simple 5-point rating system as {'very low', 'low', 'medium', 'high', 'very high'} then there will be 5^7 = 78 125 possible soil conditions, which ought to be more than sufficient variety for creating ecosystems.

Manure would be used to fertilize the soil. In order to do that, the manure would have a seven-degree measure of what kind of "soil" it is. Then adding manure to a plot could be as simple as a vector addition of (soil + manure) / 2. This would allow manure to pull the soil's metrics in the direction of the manure. If the manure is 'very high' in nitrogen, then the combination would be closer to 'very high' Nitrogen. On the other hand, if a manure is 'very low' in a given metric (maybe it is very dry), then the soil's watered condition would be pulled toward 'very low.'

That's not really what I'm talking about at all.

You might want to look at this post, and the handful after that one on the same page.

Those numbers are meant to be very fluid, and I think we need something like 256 points of data for each crop to have any meaningful ability to measure this changing over time.

On a totally unrelated note, Opera crashed, and I was too stupid to periodically save my progress in notepad, so I lost my recap thread post about 3 chapters into it...  I'm too depressed about it to redo it now, so I'll probably write it over the weekend.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:00:34 am by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: August 28, 2010, 01:10:07 am »

Those numbers are meant to be very fluid, and I think we need something like 256 points of data for each crop to have any meaningful ability to measure this changing over time.

Six measurements (NUTRIENT_N, NUTRIENT_P, NUTRIENT_K, SOIL_PH, WATER_REQUIREMENT, BIOMASS) with 256 possible values each leads to 256^6 = 281 474 976 710 656, or 281 trillion possible soil conditions. That's too much, and adds only meaningless changes over time. For instance changing the pH from 86 to 87 probably results in no real change as far as which plants prefer the soil, and which plants do poorly in the soil. It's deceptive resolution, such as measuring the width of the USA in inches, or taking someone's temperature to the nearest hundredth of a degree.

To use a scale with 256 points on it, there would need to be less dimensions being measured. The thing to decide "how big" is the total number of soil types. Then you can decide if you want to reduce the number of dimensions, or the scale of the dimensions, or both in order to achieve an imaginary supercube of minicubes in which to store the many types of plants that will be created.

The number of plants that will populate the universe is probably going to number in the dozens to hundreds. Making a space of thousands to tens of thousands would be sprinkling them thinly. It's a good idea to trim out two to three of those variables, and reduce the range. If we settled on just four variables, then to get into the space of thousands to tens of thousands would be something like 10^4=10000, or four variables with a range of ten in each.

P.S. Sorry for your loss. I've had that kind of thing happen to me before and it totally sucks.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:48:13 am by AngleWyrm »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 28, 2010, 01:51:26 am »

Six measurements (NUTRIENT_N, NUTRIENT_P, NUTRIENT_K, SOIL_PH, WATER_REQUIREMENT, BIOMASS) with 256 possible values each leads to 256^6 = 281 474 976 710 656, or 281 trillion possible soil conditions.

256 points per crop != 256 points per measurement.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 28, 2010, 02:07:36 am »

256 points per crop != 256 points per measurement.

Could you go into some detail on this point?
I'm not quite getting what "256 points per crop" means.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:16:20 am by AngleWyrm »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 28, 2010, 09:10:36 am »

I linked to this post to show what I meant: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=22015.msg1445642#msg1445642

It's in the spoilered-out areas.

I'll just go ahead and quote myself, then...

Today, I'm going to start making up some sample crops, a little suggestion of how to build this in psuedo-code to illustrate the point...

(I am spoiling some things because I'm a sesquipedalianly loquacious SOB.)

I'll even try to turn this into a sort of mockup raw-code, although I won't put it all into raw form, as that is too much copy-paste drudgery.

Spoiler: Long section on format (click to show/hide)

Yeah, I'm editing in more crap as a header.

Spoiler: Implimentation ideas (click to show/hide)

With ALLLL that out of the way, I can actually start posting some crap:

Since I already had that one out there:

NAME: Kappa Gourds (Cucumbers)

NAME: Cross Brassica (Broccoli)

NAME: Rust Grass (ryegrass)

NAME: Gracile Goober (peanuts!)

I'm going to cut this off here, because this post is already pretty darn long, and because I've already spent the better part of the day researching crap, and I need to go to sleep.

You realize what I'm talking about, here, correct?  Why I've talked about changing soil over time, especially nutrients like K, which change only very slightly over time?  The number of iterations of possible values is completely irrelevant.  And maybe you don't care how many inches wide the United States may be, but if you are trying to do an accurate computer model of the US, such as something like Google Maps, then you have to use some fairly precise measurements, at the very least.

Look at how Hunger is currently handled: the hunger value is basically just an integer that gets iterated over time, reaching the hundreds of thousands before dwarves eat to reset that value. 

I'm not talking about having a different label for each and every individual iteration of soil, that would just be absurd, and having only 5 levels of actual fertility is needlessly limiting, and would break the system.  I'm talking about having a hidden fertility variable for every dimension of soil fertility.  Frankly, I'd like the numbers to be a little larger, but I'll just work with having the potassium number only checked and reduced every 120 growdur or some such.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 49