Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 49

Author Topic: Improved Farming  (Read 140746 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Farming
« Reply #615 on: August 19, 2010, 03:15:26 pm »

This issue WAS covered at length earlier in the thread, it's just that Hammurabi either hasn't read it, or just doesn't care, because he wants to employ argumentum ad absurdum as a strategy for arguing to remove the entirity of farming, see:

So where does this lead?  IMO, the conclusion I come to is that farming just needs to be scrapped.  Dwarfs need to import their food.  In literature, dwarfs mine metal and gems, convert it to tradegoods, and trade it for food and other items.   Farming, if included at all, could be on a very limited scale for some dwarf-only plants.  The produce could be used as one of the ingredients in dwarfish alcohol.

You see, while Hammurabi seems to want to claim he's just sticking up for "his own playstyle", the problem is that he's really arguing to utterly remove from the game any playstyle but his.  I don't care much for the military, but I certainly don't argue for the removal of all the military aspects of this game (except in parody of the notion of removing aspects of the game, as I did earlier in this thread).  It's frankly a little counter-productive to argue for the REMOVAL of systems and complexity from the game, when we are supposed to be ADDING enjoyable complexity to the game.  (And that is, after all, exactly what "more features" are - more complexity - the more "things" you add into the game, the more complex it will be, almost by definition, unless every one of those features are useless and ignorable.)

Farming is the economic activity off of which all civilization is based off of, and land requirements are a big reason for why many conflicts occurred in the past, as well as how history unraveled in the way it did.  If we want a game that reasonably models the rise and fall of civilizations as well as management of a settlement, then farming should be modeled as realistically as possible.

Yes, entirely.  Agriculture is the basis of the economy, and as such, if we are to add any serious depth to the economy, we have to eliminate the problem of the economy being completely lobotomized from the bottom up, by making resources no longer an unlimited "free stuff button", starting with farming, which, as it starts to involve the lumber industry and the like, as well, will become essentially the biggest chunk of the entire economy, with only really stone, glass, and steel being seperate.  That is why it shouldn't be easy to simply flip the "now stop growing cotton, start to make rice" switch, and should be of at least some concern to any player, even if only to defend their satellite farms from which they import food in a military fort. 

It is for the same reason that an RTS game has a cost to the units that you build - resource management is a fudamental aspect of any serious game, the basis of any "Interesting Decision", and to add real decisions to the game, we need something to make even renewable resouces not simply a matter of adding more land or simply upping the population cap and designating more farmers.

Kohaku, you've constantly shown that you don't understand what I mean by an interesting choice.  I'm not even trying with you any more on it.

Actually, Hammurabi, the problem isn't that I don't understand your meaning of Interesting Choice, it's that you are either unwilling to read what has been written, or unwilling to understand, if not simply moving the goalposts just to prolong the argument.

I'm not seeing any "Decisions" in your ideas.  Each plant type will have a preferred pH level.  Players will look up this value in the Wiki and apply the appropriate amount of fertilizer.    Different crops will need different amount of water.  Players will water them according to the Wiki values.  Crops will need to be rotated.  Players will rotate them according to the Wiki.  Maybe this level of detail will be interesting to some people.  But I don't see any real decisions here, other than doing it the optimal way or purposely doing it the suboptimal way.  Don't add complexity if it doesn't add choices for the player to make.

Here's a quick idea of Interesting Decisions.  Have the different types of plants/food have a real effect on the dwarfs. 
Plump helmet - baseline food, no modifiers
Pig tail - Makes the dwarfs work harder, more productive, but creates some unhappy thoughts
Sweet pod - Makes the dwarfs sleep more (lazy), and more contented (happiness goes up)
Quarry bush - Adds small boost to combat skills, with corresponding loss to non-combat skills
Dimple cup - Adds small boost to non-combat skills, with corresponding loss to combat skills
Muck Root - Not a Dwarf favorite, but the Humans value it highly in trades

Now there are interesting decisions to make.   The player will have to plan ahead, deciding what to plant now base on the type of food he wants 6 months from now.  Give the player several plausible choices, with the choice possibly having a real effect on the game.

Here we go, your idea of "Interesting Decisions" - having different kinds of crops that you might want to plant for different situations.  That is, the decision is in the kind of crop you want to plant.

WELL THEN, let's just have plenty of different types of plants and have different uses for each plant, right?  OK, that's entirely a part of what I've detailed.  (See here, here, here, and here.  More coming the less time I have to spend arguing this same argument with you all day every day.)

But wait a second, why choose?  Why not plant ALL the plants all the time, the way we can right now?  It takes no more ability or work or thought on the part of the player to have any one crop as opposed to any other.

THIS is why farms cannot be a "free stuff button".  See this again:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So yes, if you decide, arbitrarily, that you want such-and-such a crop, you can determine what it takes to make that sort of plant, and build a field and system so that you can grow that crop.  If you pay attention, you can make that sustainable in an automated fashion, provided you are willing to stick to that decision of crops, and stick to that level of growth.  You want different crops?  You want more crops?  Well, you have to go back to work at it a little.  You have to give back to the land what you take.  Your actions have consequences, so you have to consider the consequences when you consider the actions.  That's the basics of making an Interesting Decision.

Does this mean that we are suddenly doing some big-bad evil thing of making a player stop and do a little work to get what he wants out of a system?  He has to think about how to go about getting the reward he wants?  Yes, of course, that's what a game is supposed to do - provide the player with a little challenge for a little reward.

Who wants to build a fortress where everything is killed for them, every need is supplied for them, every megaproject takes no time, because you can just designate where the walls are supposed to be, and it gets filled in by the click of the mouse?  No, it's the work you do for those things that give them meaning.

And this is why I say you don't really understand what it is you want, Hammurabi: You want your planning and ability to design systems and everything that I'm proposing, but you claim you want it for free, that you don't want to work for something, that you just want it handed to you.  You reject it simply because it's *sigh* FARMING, and therefore, it's beneath your notice.  It's only noteworthy if it's a tech upgrade you spend 3 turns worth of your Civ's research points on gaining a +50% population growth rate.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hammurabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: August 19, 2010, 03:26:32 pm »

And this is why I say you don't really understand what it is you want, Hammurabi: You want your planning and ability to design systems and everything that I'm proposing, but you claim you want it for free, that you don't want to work for something, that you just want it handed to you.  You reject it simply because it's *sigh* FARMING, and therefore, it's beneath your notice.  It's only noteworthy if it's a tech upgrade you spend 3 turns worth of your Civ's research points on gaining a +50% population growth rate.

Can we limit the discussion to the issues instead of the posters?  Ad hominem attacks are not productive

Back in 1971, Nolan Bushnell of Atari said, "All the best games are easy to learn, and difficult to master," a design philosophy now treated as instinctual by nearly every designer in the industry.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: August 19, 2010, 07:12:56 pm »

regarding page 34--don't think I've seen it and don't think anyone else has.  Have you considered starting a new thread with a well organized and maintained OP?

That kind of defeats the point, though, doesn't it?  We're supposed to be putting the whole discussion on one thread.  When we start splitting this up into different threads, then people only read the main thread, and ignore the linked threads.  Believe me, this is more of the "Suggestions Rubbish Bin" than the "Suggestions Forum" for the vast bulk of suggestions.
That's fair, although I do think you could get around it by posting something around the lines of "Improved Farming Part 2" and including a ton of links and quotes from this thread in the first few posts.  You could even have a poll!

Of course, best of all would be turning the OP of this thread into a good summery/table of contents for the rest of it, but it doesn't look like Impaler has been around for a couple months.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: August 19, 2010, 11:47:20 pm »

At worst I see a control doodad that allows you to set the desired pH level and that dwarves will add lime (or whatever else) to the farm in order to raise/lower the pH level.
Why not have the farmers *know* that Cave Wheat is best at 3.7 pH, and spread the lime automatically when planting it?  Or do you suggest that looking up the crop in the wiki and adjusting a setting is the type of complexity (or Interesting Choice) that farming needs?

I said at worst you'd be required to know what pH any given crop needs.  Ideally the dwarves would take care of it, but you'd still be required to produce lime or the job will cancel ("cannot fertilize field: no lime bags").

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #619 on: August 20, 2010, 12:42:31 am »

People could afford to be more polite in here.  NW_Kohaku and Hammurabi have had ongoing problems and that needs to stop.  Please try to go out of your way to treat each other with respect, because whatever you're doing now isn't working.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Hammurabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: August 20, 2010, 08:35:07 am »

I said at worst you'd be required to know what pH any given crop needs.  Ideally the dwarves would take care of it, but you'd still be required to produce lime or the job will cancel ("cannot fertilize field: no lime bags").

With the NPK model, the player will have the responsibility to have sources of nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potassium (K) on hand in the form of items such as lime and bone meal (the names of the items are not important at the moment).  Let's assume that the farmers will correct add the needed nutrients as needed when ordered to plant a crop. 

I want to grow Cave Wheat
  • I set the field to grow Cave Wheat in the summer.
  • At the start of summer, the farmers add the correct nutrients to the field to optimize for Cave Wheat.
  • The farmers plant Cave Wheat
The new feature for the player is to make sure there are stockpiles of the nutrients near the farm.  So is this accurate?

Back in 1971, Nolan Bushnell of Atari said, "All the best games are easy to learn, and difficult to master," a design philosophy now treated as instinctual by nearly every designer in the industry.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: August 20, 2010, 10:28:07 am »

Actually, I've been thinking about the way to handle the distribution of fertilizers.

With watering, I really believe the best way to handle it would be to simply schedule "water this plot every X days" or some similar method of scheduling.  It's basically up to the dwarf to put the right amount of water out there (and maybe low-skill farmers are sloppy and give too little or too much).

It might be best to do something similar with fertilizer... I was thinking of having some sort of bounded range.  Something like 1-3 bags might be a little too anal, so I think that just a "light fertilizer" "medium fertilizer" or "heavy fertilizer" scheduling, along with enabling the specific types of fertilizer to use would be most sensical.

... I'm a little leary of making it too broad and up to the dwarves, themselves, as I really would like to avoid the Jiri Petru end of the spectrum of farm involvement of just designating a farm and letting the dwarves do all the thinking for you, in which case we're just building a "dwarf movie", but this seems like it's just meaningless number-crunching to have to specify exact fertilizer measurements, especially when you aren't going to be seeing exact "Potassium Content" levels on the soil, anyway.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: August 20, 2010, 10:36:39 am »

Going with the concept of telling them what to plant and they work out the details I'd have said it should tell you what it would be using when you choose that crop.

Plant cave wheat - 13 bags of lime
Plant plump helmets - 1 bag of lime

etc etc.

As crops alter the soil values the dwarves will try their best to fix them, information about the farm would tell you what is currently used each season/month/whatever. There should probably be a warning when they can't fix it because they don't have the materials or when it's taking silly amounts of stuff to fix it.

Of course this also means the crop plant should suggest how it will change on average so:

Plant cave wheat - 13 bags of lime (12 bags next season)
Plant plump helmets - 1 bag of lime (4 bags next season)

Obviously this is simplistic and not really thought through but the general idea would be to give the player info that is useful without overburdening them.

The other option would be to list crops based on how well they grow in that area:

Plant plump helmets (high yields)
Plant cave wheat (low yields - needs lime)

And then have another far order to add lime according to some player selected criteria. That way if you just want food you plant the high yield crop (and should probably be warned when it's no longer the highest yield crop, or even allow a 'plant best' order to be issued) and if you want a certain crop you have to find or create a good location for it.

Edit: NW_Kohaku is right to say ignore the numbers though
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Hammurabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: August 20, 2010, 11:31:31 am »

It might be best to do something similar with fertilizer... I was thinking of having some sort of bounded range.  Something like 1-3 bags might be a little too anal, so I think that just a "light fertilizer" "medium fertilizer" or "heavy fertilizer" scheduling, along with enabling the specific types of fertilizer to use would be most sensical.

Kohaku, I can get on board with NPK if it's done correctly from the player's perspective.  The underlying complexity can be done how ever you want.  But for the player, it needs to be more than busy work, or not just looking up values in the wiki.  For the example above, what information would the player have to decide between light, medium and heavy fertilizer?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: August 20, 2010, 01:44:49 pm »

Kohaku, I can get on board with NPK if it's done correctly from the player's perspective.  The underlying complexity can be done how ever you want.  But for the player, it needs to be more than busy work, or not just looking up values in the wiki.  For the example above, what information would the player have to decide between light, medium and heavy fertilizer?

Generally speaking, the Farming Overseer telling the player such-and-such a crop is a light, medium, or heavy feeder.  (Along with reccomendations of what fertilizers are appropriate.)
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Hammurabi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 20, 2010, 02:16:06 pm »

Generally speaking, the Farming Overseer telling the player such-and-such a crop is a light, medium, or heavy feeder.  (Along with reccomendations of what fertilizers are appropriate.)

Thanks, I think I got it now:

* I set the field to grow Cave Wheat in the summer.
* I check with the Overseer on fertilization needs
* I issue orders for light bone meal and heavy lime fertilization, per Overseer
* Dwarf farmers plant the Cave Wheat
* Dwarf farmers spread the fertilizers from the stockpiles and repeat as needed

So the difference between this and Jiri's method is that you want the player to input fertilization commands on one screen based on the values on another screen.  Whereas Jiri just wants this to happen automatically.  Is that somewhat accurate?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 20, 2010, 02:48:05 pm »

Actually, thinking about it, I take it back.  Fertilizer really should be like water - you don't set how much you use, you set how frequently you apply it.  You just trust the dwarf to use the right amount, although maybe you could set some sort of "mix two parts fertilizer A with one part fertilizer B" function.  How heavy a feeder it is simply affects how frequently you need to apply it, not how much to apply, although I still do think there need to be limits to the annual amount of fertilizers or liming agents or the like that can be dumped in a year, so as to prevent the solution to every problem from being "MORE FERTILIZER!"

Thanks, I think I got it now:

* I set the field to grow Cave Wheat in the summer.
* I check with the Overseer on fertilization needs
* I issue orders for light bone meal and heavy lime fertilization, per Overseer
* Dwarf farmers plant the Cave Wheat
* Dwarf farmers spread the fertilizers from the stockpiles and repeat as needed

So the difference between this and Jiri's method is that you want the player to input fertilization commands on one screen based on the values on another screen.  Whereas Jiri just wants this to happen automatically.  Is that somewhat accurate?

So far as the growing of a specific crop goes after a plot has been designated and prepared, yes.

Jiri, however, wants the dwarves to select the crops on their own, while I want to get players to set up crop rotation systems... which is why there needs to be limitations on fertilizers.

Soil pH in particular should be slow to adjust - you shouldn't be able to push it more than 1.0 in a single year, and even that should take some labor.  The point of soil pH is that certain types of crops favor the same pH, but that pH won't move too far on its own (unless you apply too much of certain acidifying fertilizers), meaning that crops in the same pH band should be considered for any given crop rotation set.  You definitely shouldn't be liming the soil every single year (well, unless you're going crazy with the Urea fertilization). 

pH would probably play a more important role if I were to break with reality a bit (although with the underground crops, pretty much anything goes, anyway) and make clear distinctions on bands of crops, so that, say, pig tails required very acidic soil that meant they couldn't be in rotation with better food-giving crops like sweet pods, cave wheat, and quarry bushes, which would be alkaline.  Going for those types of outlying crops could give higher rewards, but wind up being more finicky.  (And I've already done something like that with the Sapphiric Rock Mold.)

Fertilizers in real life take time for the soil bacteria to break them down into usable forms, and flooding the soil with them generally burns the plants.  In general, a limit to how much fertilizer can be applied per unit time before it simply stops being effective, as the bacteria can't cope with that much of the stuff, would be the simplest way of modeling that.  It would also mean that certain crops that heavily deplete soil (like wheat, rice, or corn) should be balanced with lighter-feeding crops while waiting for the fertilizers to be able to catch up with the depletion rate.

Beyond that, there are water concerns and also pests, which should also color decision making, especially as pests will heavily favor targeting fields that have little diversity in their crops. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 20, 2010, 02:56:08 pm »

I am not seeing how this proposed soil chemistry system adds any real resource management to farming, unless you have to chew through ridiculous amounts of fertilizer just to grow crops on a field for a season, or fertilizer becomes as valuable as gold, or you have some really specialized crops that need very particular fertilizers to grow. Mostly it just seems to add another few items to the (already very large) shopping list, a little bit more organizational overhead, and more trips to the wiki when you're learning how to do it. Once you know how to do it, you just buy bags of fertilizer from merchants if you don't have any, it doesn't cost very much, whoop de doo the end.

Or, if it's just a mechanism to enforce crop rotation, which is nice (I mean, I do that already) but kind of a small thing in the big scheme of securing food for your fortress.

I would want to make underground crops much more fertilizer-hungry, or much slower-growing, in exchange for being protected from weather and to some degree pests, which should be the real menaces to regular farming.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 20, 2010, 03:15:04 pm »

Well, to compare it to a RTS game again... In Supreme Commander, you have two resources - Energy and Mass. 

Mass is something you can only gain from limited points on the map, although they have infinite resources, they are limited in how much you can extract at once.

Energy is fairly easy, you just build more power plants, although these power plants are an Achilles Heel in your defense and difficult to protect, and eventually require expanding out rediculuous amounts of land into giant power farms.  The main reason you have to worry about these is that you have to keep building more of them, and the defenses to go with them.

Ideally, there could be some sort of mechanic like the Mass mechanic, where you have to manage resources because there is a finite limit to the amount of food you can grow on a map.  Fertilizer and water should be a limited commodity, and stretching them out may be a priority, especially on maps with little water.  If you cannot water all your crops, you are forced to start deciding which types of crops you need based upon what sort of resources you have available, and what your major priorities are.  If you cannot get enough of a certain type of fertilizer, it means you'll need to heavily weigh the benefits of certain crops if they are heavy potassium consumers on a map with little trees for potash. 

If all else fails, however, there is the Energy mechanic - you want to maximize crop yield and stretch your crops out as far as possible because the actual act of clearing out a farm, and carving the rock, then starting to break up rock into soil (which, if we have to go this route, there may need to be a better mechanic for determining whether it is depleted soil that can be replinished, or if it is the much more difficult task of breaking apart the stone into soil in the first place), and setting up the infrastructure to water these crops will have to be time-and-labor consuming enough that, like setting up magma forges, players may simply put it off, and consider conserving food and taking fields off of luxury goods or fabric farming for food rather than expanding the fields.

As for underground crops taking up more resources, the biomass variable exists for that - it essentially is a measure of undecomposed organic matter that fungi and other non-photosynthetic crops need to survive.  Biomass is something that wouldn't be of much concern in aboveground farming, as it depletes naturally as soil bacteria eat away at them, especially if fields are fallow during the Winter.  Biomass for underground crops, however, needs constant replinishing with undecomposed dead stuff.  (And dropping extra trees and dead bodies should be one of those "Mass Mechanic" type things, where you only have so many dead bodies per year to chuck on the compost pile to turn into mushroom fertilizer.)

edit: oh, and one more thing: The pest mechanic also exists as a way of ensuring that no one crop gets too prevalent, which in turn means that as the fields are expanded, if you want to avoid having too much density of crops, means you have to start expanding into different kinds of crops as you add more plots.  When there are only a small number of plants that can perform certain functions (say, pig tails and rope reeds are the only cloth), and pig tails are easy to plant, but rope reeds are a pain, or only grow in warmer climates, so you have to run magma beneath the farms to keep the soil warm or something, and require far more careful management or more infrastructure, then you are adding a scaling level of difficulty as your fields expand.

Also:  Keep in mind that for sustainability, the best ferilizer would be manure... which we may not get, depending on how Toady rules on it.  If manure is your main fertilizer, then you have a limit on the amount of fertilizer you can spread - you can't get more manure than you have creatures generating it, and those creatures need to be fed... by the crops raised on your manure fertilizer.  And even then, you have a choice between spreading raw sewage on the fields and composting it first, which makes the manure safer (more crops tolerate it, and it is less likely to spread weeds and pests) but releases many of the nutrients (especially Nitrogen) from the compost.  The benefit of this being that it would create a "closed loop ecosystem", where most nutrients stay within the fortress, and also that it would make you choose which fields get priority for the limited supply of fertilizer - do you balance it out, or grow some crops with high nutrient needs and let the other fields suffer lower overall nutrient replinishment, forcing a greater dependency upon Nitrogen-fixation crops and light feeders, and generally sacrificing productivity in one field for the productivity of another.

If we DON'T have manure, then this really screws with the balance of the system, and you have to start looking for other means of fertilizing crops, which would possibly have to come in large part from dead things... either dead trees (finite resource), or dead creatures... which means that you'd have to hunt or level seiges just to dump the corpse in the compost heap.  It would make the fertilizer supply much more difficult to manage, and mean that if a seige didn't come, you might wind up starving for lack of fertilizer some years, but have overabundances of it other years... a very strange position to be in.  (Which is why it really would be best to have manure for fertilizer.)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:52:06 pm by NW_Kohaku »
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: August 20, 2010, 03:50:17 pm »

Oooooh.  Cool thread.

Actually, thinking about it, I take it back.  Fertilizer really should be like water - you don't set how much you use, you set how frequently you apply it.  You just trust the dwarf to use the right amount, although maybe you could set some sort of "mix two parts fertilizer A with one part fertilizer B" function.  How heavy a feeder it is simply affects how frequently you need to apply it, not how much to apply, although I still do think there need to be limits to the annual amount of fertilizers or liming agents or the like that can be dumped in a year, so as to prevent the solution to every problem from being "MORE FERTILIZER!"

You know, I really like the idea that I think is implied here about the trusting the farmers:  So, perhaps the skill of the farmer (or if a knowledge system is implemented in the game, the knowledge of the farmers, which I guess would be abstracted by skill levels at this time) could play into whether they add the optimal amount of fertilizer, water, etc. and prepare the soil correctly, thus affecting overall yield.  The rest would be up to the player.  Perhaps in non-player run farms, all aspects would be governed by the corresponding skills of the farmers.

Also, SupCom FTW.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 49