Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 49

Author Topic: Improved Farming  (Read 137717 times)

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Improved Farming
« Reply #210 on: February 09, 2010, 03:11:22 am »

The problem with this thinking is that everything will be competing for the player's attention; it results in a game that become increasingly frustrating as the player finds themselves unable to deal with all the things that they want to deal with.  Additionally, micromanagement rapidly becomes tedious if it is attached to something that doesn't constantly change -- I envision players having to regularly check their farms to see how the soil is doing, say, which is eventually going to grow repetitive.  Once you've done it enough times, the decisions stop being interesting -- you're just doing stuff by rote, because there's not enough ways for farming to change.

I just want to second the bold stuff. I'm of the opinion that anything that is just a repetitive task should be automated. If that means a setting up the system initially, with carving out larger farms and enabling crop rotation just like the planting currently works then I'm fine with it otherwise I'm against it.

I know the proposals set forth do mention a high degree of automation but I just want to reinforce how important that point it.

The FPS thing should be a non-issue. Extra dwarves should not be causing the slow down they do. We currently all assume this is path finding however there should be no problem calculating path finding on maps this small. Either way this is a side issue and something that already has a lot of attention. Issues should not be tied together if it can be helped and farming is clearly broken.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

n00bs4uce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 09, 2010, 05:16:33 am »

I don't know if this was mentioned yet(just skimmed thru the thread), but I think the farming on rocky ground should be revised. Probably in place of or in addition to irrigation, have a dirt zone system similar to sand collection zones and have your farmers need to gather dirt in bags to make a farming plot usable. The logic in this is regarding the ability to farm on "muddy" granite and such which is really impractical.

Regarding the difficulty and allocation of dorf labor to farming, I think anything more than a fifth of the total pop being needed for minimum or conventional food production is ridiculous. This is Dwarf Fortress , not Country Market or w/e the hell else you'd want to call it. Any single aspect of the game such as metalworking or fishing or glassmaking can be broken down into fine details that reflect real life and the actual difficulty of it, but doing that just makes the game into a damn chore to play and just stops being immersive and begins being a pain.

This is just my 2 cents, I don't really want half of my forts to die of starvation.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 09, 2010, 06:41:02 am »

I'd have said anything more than a tenth to be honest. It is too big a chunk otherwise. Currently however 1 dwarf can feed anything up to a couple of hundred if done correctly.
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 09, 2010, 06:46:59 am »

This is just my 2 cents, I don't really want half of my forts to die of starvation.

Historically, most 1400's fortifications succumbed to starvation. Ensuring food supplies against the threat of siege was almost as important as stockpiling arrows (perhaps less so, if the enemy never attacked you still had to eat!). I agree that past the first winter and between migrant waves farming should just the occasional glance over to make sure what you set up is still sufficient, but in the event of a siege or other such disaster there must come a point where food is the most pressing issue on your mind. Currently it doesn't matter how wasteful or inefficient my cave farms are; I can survive a siege indefinately with only one dwarf working a plump helmet farm. There needs to come a point where food is just important enough you can't take it for granted but not so important it overwhelms the game. I think some of these proposals may have the solution, and we need to peice something together.

And I also agree, 1/5th of your dwarves in food collection should provide your dwarves with a healthy diet and some surplus to store away. 1/10th might be bare-bones subsistance where you start wanting to trade crafts for food, and 1/3rd might be demanded if you're besieged and forced to cave farm. Don't get me wrong, I love cave farming from a style standpoint, but currently one hardly has incentive to not wall the front door off unless you need lumber.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 09, 2010, 06:47:56 am »

It seems like everyone agrees there's too much food to be gotten by farming, too easily.
I'll go with "no", since I respe'tfully disagree.

Seems, not is.

Remember that you're getting problems when you have Legendary Growers.

At risk of buzzwording, I want to play Dwarf Fortress, not Dwarf Farmtress. (It was recently 'alled something like, thanks to Stonesense only having farmdwarves at the time)

That said, I'd be up for variable soil fertilities, but not hidden ones, and removing boozecooking until recipes get sensible.

Sensible:
    V. Grand unified field theory
[...]
I support more difficult mining (for various reasons),
But not on the 'difficult mining'.
...Farming right now is trivial.  1 farmer can dedicate 1/10th of his waking life to maintaining a farm plot and feed and entire fortress.  All we're advocating is that farming should use up a portion of your workforce the same way the military does, or your mining squad does, or your mason squad, or...
::) Um...those...all pretty much get 1-dwarf. Masons don't only so you don't get so many idlers, if you're doing block/stone projekt.
smallest possible embark size has 144*144 tiles, so a tiny map with a single soil layer could still feed more than two hundred dwarves even at a 10*10 plot = 1 dwarf ratio! I think that people tend to underestimate the number of tiles available in a map when they make their claim for their preferred ratio.

Disclaimer: I'm not arguing for a 10*10 plot = 1 dwarf ratio.
fa'tual dispute: embark tile is 482, so smallest is 962, but then people use NanoFortress to get the 1x1 embark....
You're OK with a single legendary dwarf supplying all of the food and beverage needs for an entire fortress?
Sounds fitting of a farmer of legend, yes. (It's about three, I think, though I had an animal foodtrack as well, whi'h let me turn farms off half the time or so. Needed two brewers fulltime t'keep up with drinks.)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 09, 2010, 06:58:11 am »

Quote from: Shades
Extra dwarves should not be causing the slow down they do.
More dwarves will ALWAYS require more resources no matter how you slice it.[/spoiler]

Yes but not the slow down we get, 1000 dwarves should not be noticeable. Certainly not for path-finding reasons anyway. Maybe there is other logic that is causing it but if it's mostly path-finding then a half way decent implementation will remove the problem. The world map is too small for this to be a problem, were I work we regularly compute paths on maps considerably larger and the time taken is never an issue.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 09, 2010, 08:10:21 am »

My 2c.

First, I agree that farming should be more demanding. Also, I'd like to see some differences in it.

First, the start up farming problem. IMO this might be easiest to solve, by creating a new type of plant (we likely would like more plants anyway), maybe called cave moss or something.

It should, basicly be plump helmet made easier.  It wouldn't even require soil, just some damp stones. It would grow without much problem or attendance of farmer, could be harvested easily, and turned into some really poor quality booze. Ideally, you could have one farmer design a large field, to get food so you won't starve, and will get some booze. Neither the food or booze is good, but you will suvive.
This plant should have longer growth time, so later on if you have more manpower, fertilizers and irrigation, other plants come more feasible.

This would solve the problem with farms in the beginning. You could still farm, just don't expect much else then survival.

When farming advances, I'd like to see seasonal farming and underground farming pretty much ignored. Instead, plants would have requirements on temperature (min-max), moisture (again, min to max), soil richness ( likely only min, can plants die from too much nutrients?) and light requirements (maybe on scale light, shady, dark). This way, arctic fortress might grow during summer what temperate fortress grows during winter. If it is too cold or too hot, nothing grows. Light would limit some growth. Some plants require open skies, others might do well under a cliff, but still outside, while some only grow in darkness. Each plant should drain moisture and nutrients from ground (maybesome could have negative drains, to return one or the other to soil. I think peas are one example of plants returning nutrients, but am not sure)

For farms, maybe we could abstract the whole farm area?
We could still build farm plots in different sizes like now, but it would only be one farm. Farm would have max worker amount, ranging from 1 worker up depending on the size. This would mean how many farmers could work on the farm at the same time.

Farmers work would also change. They would get "work on farm" assignment, meaning they would walk to the farm, and then start some of the works that need to be done.
Different farm work could include getting water (to keep the water level proper), using fertilizer (to add soil richness), getting rid of weeds (which would take space, water and nutrients from real plants, and hamper growth if not limited), deal with pests (maybe have some small animal traps, etc.), plowing the fields (after harvest and before replanting), and of course harvesting and planting. Fields would require set amount of seeds (maybe one per tile, maybe less) that would be used in planting. When the harvesting would be done, the farmers would gather the harvest on the side of the farm. All tiles would be harvested, and the resulting food would be plased in sets of 5 (so, say farm produces 13 food in 10 tiles, instead of 10 single piles you would get two piles of 5, and one poile of 3).
This would pretty much keep the producion suitable with rest of the system.

However, if the whole farm area is considered as single entity, then it is easier to implement partial productivity. I think one of the reasons in current food problem is that food always produces 1 unit, which in itself is pretty much food. This could be fixed by multiplying everything with larger numbers (like planting 100 seeds in tile, and gaining 100-500 plumphelmets), but that will only get us more problems.
Or we could have single farm entity, for example 5x5.
When you plant the seeds, there is 25 seeds(assuming this won't change). Then, you can work on farm. Small gains could add the yield to 26 or 27 plants, and poor work could drop the yield to 10 or less, but you sould still get something. By making the farm a larger unit, we can have smaller increases and decreases to the yield. This allows the low productivity in beginning, or with poor conditions, and good productivity in the end.

It would also make it easier to limit over production.
For example, say the x seeds are originally planted.
Behind the scenes the farm would gain and lose growth points. Say, for every day there is adequate water and nutrients, +1x growth points. For everyday vermins are loose on farm, -5 growth point/vermin. Daily growth points are multiplied by 1-% of weeds present.

So you start with x seeds, and during the time you get the certain amoiung of growth points. Then it is harvest time.
For 0-100 growth points, you might get X times 0.1 plants.
So for each ten seeds, you get one plant. Rounded normally.
800-1200 growth points might give you X times 1 plants.
1200-1600 could give X times 1.2 plants.
1600-3000 could give X times 1.5 plants.
3000-6000 could give X times 1.8 plants
and so on.
This way, you could make it harder to get the real big crops, because to get really big pultipliers, you would really need to work hard. Of course, some plants should be easier to grow then others, so they could have a fixed or multiplier values to growth points.

The farm could also have a shed, which could store seeds, buckets, tools, fertilizer etc as a stockpile. This would reduce teh running around of the dwarfs, as the farmers could take the items from the shed.

So, any comments or questions? I know I'm only a dabbling explainer, so this could need some clarification.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 09, 2010, 09:02:10 am »

Anything that has a chance to fail and destroy the resource used will always be voted against by me, regardless of how good the rest of the suggestion may be.

There is never a situation where we want to get less than one seed back per seed planted. However I could live with a doesn't grow so don't get food but still keep the seed to try again type concept.

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 09, 2010, 09:16:38 am »

The term 'Legendary' is kind of misleading when every dwarf gets to be that way just by doing their job for a few seasons. Maybe if skill gain was nerfed in a big way it would help solve a lot of imbalances, but that should probably go in another thread.

At risk of buzzwording, I want to play Dwarf Fortress, not Dwarf Farmtress. (It was recently 'alled something like, thanks to Stonesense only having farmdwarves at the time)

But feeding your soldiers is a big part of running a fortress? And again, talk about misleading terms - most dwarf 'fortresses' are more like dwarf villages, with the civilian population far outnumbering the military.   

Maybe you enjoy the combat more than anything, but some people like messing around with survival challenges, some like architecture and megaprojects, etc.   Boiling everything down to just fighting would get old just as fast as boiling it all down to farming would - but just like the combat is getting a huge overhaul with the new version that will make things much more interesting and yes, difficult, especially for those of us who aren't really interested in that aspect of the game, players that would enjoy a little more strategy in other areas (such as farming) ought to eventually get something they can play around with too.

And really, most of the people that are against any difficulty increase in farming seem to be ignoring the fact that every fortress possessed a trade depot, and you pretty much always wind up giving thousands of dorfbucks worth of excess crap to the caravans every year just to get rid of it all. Maybe buy food instead? Not to mention hunting, fishing, and the infinite source of meat that can be crammed in a single cage and forgotten about.   
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 09:19:07 am by Solara »

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 09, 2010, 09:30:47 am »

most of the people that are against any difficulty increase in farming

I'd like to point out that I'm not against increasing the difficulty but only if that extra complexity is offloaded on to the player. Requiring more of your workforce I have no issue with, and think it should change to match hunting and fishing yields anyway.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 09, 2010, 09:31:26 am »

Anything that has a chance to fail and destroy the resource used will always be voted against by me, regardless of how good the rest of the suggestion may be.

There is never a situation where we want to get less than one seed back per seed planted. However I could live with a doesn't grow so don't get food but still keep the seed to try again type concept.

I'd prefer a larger number of seeds gained from single plant when seeds are harvested. That way, even if you need 10 seeds to get one plant, you would still get even by seeding that plant.

Or maybe have each crop be atleast 1 plant, but that might cause probems with making lots of small farms, and taking advantage of 1 plant minimum rule.

If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 09, 2010, 09:31:59 am »

The term 'Legendary' is kind of misleading when every dwarf gets to be that way just by doing their job for a few seasons. Maybe if skill gain was nerfed in a big way it would help solve a lot of imbalances, but that should probably go in another thread.

Quoted for truth.  It takes less time for a single dwarf to get up to legendary +5 in farming than it does to end up with 200 dwarves via migrants and births combined.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 09, 2010, 09:38:33 am »

I'd like to point out that I'm not against increasing the difficulty but only if that extra complexity is offloaded on to the player. Requiring more of your workforce I have no issue with, and think it should change to match hunting and fishing yields anyway.

Does it still count as "complexity offloaded onto the player" when you have the option of not farming at all, and obtaining your food through other means?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 09, 2010, 09:50:41 am »

Does it still count as "complexity offloaded onto the player" when you have the option of not farming at all, and obtaining your food through other means?

Possibly not, I agree it is currently possible, although inefficient, to trade for your food.

I more mean that I prefer to be able to, once it's set up, forget about having to micromanage. Even if setup requires more dwarves and expansion as population grows that is fine, but for any given level of population it should be possible to leave it. (baring special situations like harsh winters, floods and the like)

If it will always be viable to trade for food at any given level of population, without being randomly killed by the traders not brining food or turning up (at least early on) at places that will kill them before they reach you then maybe that is an acceptable alternative.

The player should never be held hostage by the RNG nor forced to do repetitive tasks. (which includes having to queue things in blocks of 30)

All this said I'm likely to be one of the players who spend a lot of time micromanaging things anyway.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 09, 2010, 11:27:13 am »

I personally find it a tad naive to balk at any suggestion that adds any more complexity to gameplay. Simply requiring fertilization or irrigation does that.

Of course, I'm not saying it isn't important to be able to automate these things (it is!), but even if it weren't automated, it would still be no worse than any other industry in the current version of DF. Hell, it would still be less complex than most of them.

I'm personally all for requiring something like compost to be used, since decaying organic matter is the most (and only?) obvious source of energy for underground plants/fungus. Of course, this would require you to manage its sources, which hopefully could be automated in some way or another.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 49