Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Water sources in a frozen biome  (Read 1765 times)

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water sources in a frozen biome
« on: July 30, 2008, 12:40:04 pm »

For the first time in quite a while, I embarked in a freezing area, with the brook frozen well into the spring. There is no magma as far as I know.
Is there a way to get the brook flowing again?

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water sources in a frozen biome
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 01:45:16 pm »

i dont know if this works but make an indoor well that should work but i havent had any experiance with frozen sites.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 02:05:50 pm »

You won't be able to get the brook flowing, but you could dig out a cave, cut out chunks of ice, and carry them inside, and they should melt. (I think)
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 02:10:45 pm »

I believe you can still unfreeze water by dropping it a couple of Z-levels. Try digging a reservoir underneath, then mining it all out so it collapses.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 02:27:18 pm »

I started preparing for an icy cave-in with a frozen murky pool, but stopped halfway through the construction of the roof needed to keep it warm, due to the extreme boredom inherent in the process.
Does it really work?

Quiller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 05:27:27 pm »

IIRC, underground is considered warm, and ice will become water there.  This is used for irrigation by mining out areas below ice and then collapsing them, dampening the tiles below as the ice melts.  Method is on the wiki.  Probably could work for filling reservoirs as well provided it had the right ice to space ratios.  (I believe a block of ice becomes 7 units of water.)

RebelZhouYuWu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 05:59:25 pm »

Build a floor over the brook and you will get it running again.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 06:10:10 pm »

Are you guys sure this works? I use frozen biomes extensively and I've never noticed ice melting indoors. In fact, the only times I've (easily) gotten water were when I abandoned a fortress and reclaimed it; parts of it would collapse and turn into water pools surrounded by ice; unfortunately when I would try and dig into them the ice walls surrounding them would instantly refreeze and trap my dwarves. (Theoretically, Magma can be used, but this is almost guaranteed to take hours of time RL and not work.)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:13:03 pm by lastofthelight »

grelphy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 07:29:03 pm »

Building a floor doesn't work (the covered water is still "aboveground"). Mining the ice and carrying the resulting "water" stones inside doesn't work (they make puddles on the floor, not usable water). You can't successfully collapse water sources that are only 1 z-level deep to get water, so the frozen brook and any ponds are unusable (you need another z-level of ice above to freeze and cap the lower level). Essentially, if you're in a non-glacier permafrozen biome without an aquifer, you're out of luck with respect to water. Sorry.

You can still survive, of course. You don't need water to brew alcohol. You just won't be able to heal injured dwarves (so you should probably lock them in their rooms and prevent access as soon as they're rescued) and waterworks are out, but there's nothing to prevent you from having a big, thriving fort.
Given the general shape of coins and what most people seem to find the minted variety useful for: "Rounds".

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 12:04:36 am »

I can live with that. Having to euthanize or abandon the wounded seems about right for a freezing fortress frequented by undead foxes and deer.

Snikers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 08:36:12 pm »

To be slightly less merciless, you could remove their beds and any free beds in the fort. If they have nowhere to rest, they'll act as normal dwarves - or as normal as one can be when dealing with the effects of injury. In any case, they'll drink booze as normal, though they won't heal (though they wouldn't have anyway).

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 09:02:44 pm »

If I understood right you're building in an area similar to what I have right now. You can always mine out an underground reservoir area at least 1z level below the surface durring the spring thaw the water will flow into it and even tho the brook will freeze again later in the year the water in the reservoir will still be useable.

....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Strangething

• Bay Watcher
  • Slizardman
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2008, 01:50:20 pm »

What happens if you dig a small well, mark it as a garbage dump, and start dumping ice chunks down it? It melts on impact, right? Will it start filling up, like with a bucket brigade?

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2008, 03:59:47 pm »

What happens if you dig a small well, mark it as a garbage dump, and start dumping ice chunks down it? It melts on impact, right? Will it start filling up, like with a bucket brigade?
I've read that, unfortunately, these methods only create small "puddle" stacks of water that just evaporate or are cleaned up.
Without magma, the "plummet" technique might be the only way to thaw ice in freezing biomes.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 12:26:25 pm »

Ocean. Filter-pumps ftw!
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.
Pages: [1] 2