Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lack of enemies? Hence lack of seiges  (Read 1743 times)

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
Lack of enemies? Hence lack of seiges
« on: July 30, 2008, 09:36:30 am »

Ive noticed in 9/10 worlds i generate, none of the dwarven civs are at war with any of the other civs. Meaning i will NEVER get seiged or ambushed.

This I feel, is not in the spirit of DF. I want to be able to mutilate my enemies with devious traps and killing rooms!

The basic question is: Is there any way to increase the amount of enemies you have? Hence, increase your amounts of seiges

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of enemies? Hence lack of seiges
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 09:39:35 am »

I have heard of using adventurers for starting wars, but have never seen it myself.
robbing their caravans should affect relations too.
failing to protect those precious caravans or officials also does IMHO.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 09:53:48 am »

Try to make the characteristics of races in the raws more extreme ( = meat eating, ... ). It sure helps over here.

*warning, grammar nazi approaching*
It's siege by the way.
*/grammar nazi*

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 09:54:19 am »

I think no matter what, the goblins still remain hostile to your civ, even if they're at a period of peace. I guess it's supposed to be a strained peace.

I've been told this is what the red ------- means next to the goblins. I can confirm that they will in fact send snatchers, which probably means after a while, they will eventually declare war on my little site.

This is, of course, assuming the goblins even exist in a given world as a political entity.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 09:58:36 am »

I think no matter what, the goblins still remain hostile to your civ, even if they're at a period of peace. I guess it's supposed to be a strained peace.

I've been told this is what the red ------- means next to the goblins. I can confirm that they will in fact send snatchers, which probably means after a while, they will eventually declare war on my little site.

This is, of course, assuming the goblins even exist in a given world as a political entity.

They ---- sent me an ambush. Scum.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 10:17:07 am »

Yeah, I've been getting sieged by the ----- goblins.  You need to have at least 80 dwarves, though.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 10:34:30 am »

Oh so the ----- means normal goblins pretty much? I thought they needed that big WAR thing next to their name. In that case I think im fine, almost all the time I get ----- with goblins

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:36:57 am »

yeah, ------ seems to invariably break down into war. if that fails. Just drown human and elven diplomats and traders till profit

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 10:48:13 am »

I recall Toady, or someone, mentioning that so long as the [BABYSNATCHER] tag is in place, goblins will be hostile as a stop-gap measure to ensure sieges since the world-gen politics aren't up to scratch yet in that regard.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 10:54:09 am »

Ive noticed in 9/10 worlds i generate, none of the dwarven civs are at war with any of the other civs. Meaning i will NEVER get seiged or ambushed.

This I feel, is not in the spirit of DF. I want to be able to mutilate my enemies with devious traps and killing rooms!

The basic question is: Is there any way to increase the amount of enemies you have? Hence, increase your amounts of seiges

You will have to wait for the Army Arc to be completed. You will have plenty of action after that, Im pretty sure.  ;)

Langdon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 11:40:52 am »

I've read in some other threads (and I'm going to try this in the next world I generate) that to get wars from the start, you generate worlds up to 1050, read the legends to find the years when one or more of the dwarven civs are at war with the humans or elves, then re-use the seeds and regenerate that world up to that year.

For example, if I find that in 354 the humans start a war with a dwarven civ, I would generate a new world with the same seeds, except I would stop at 354 instead of 1050. Then I'd embark with that particular dwarven civ, which is already at war with a human or elven civ.

For extra mayhem, embark at a location smack in the middle of the enemy civ.

Gigalith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • O and H Books
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 11:55:13 am »

Attacking diplomats will bring sieges. I just had a civ of humans who were trading with me previously come with a small army that was shortly dismembered.
Check out my books at O and H Books

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 12:38:29 pm »

For example, if I find that in 354 the humans start a war with a dwarven civ, I would generate a new world with the same seeds, except I would stop at 354 instead of 1050. Then I'd embark with that particular dwarven civ, which is already at war with a human or elven civ.

I heard you should generate one year farther.  So, in the example, gen to 355.

Grath

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 11:04:03 am »

Well, there's an easy solution to the no enemies when Army Arc is done.
Build your own army and start the war yourself.
Or you could even send a messenger and six marksdwarves to the goblins, then declare war when the messenger is kicked into a giant pit.

Poco a Poco

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 11:10:44 am »

I have heard of using adventurers for starting wars, but have never seen it myself.
robbing their caravans should affect relations too.
failing to protect those precious caravans or officials also does IMHO.

I would like to hear more about this.
Pages: [1] 2