Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Age  (Read 997 times)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Dwarven Age
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:58:30 pm »

I searched for this topic, but didn't find it so my apologies if it has already been mentioned.

I'd like it if there were some way to view a dwarf's age while in fortress mode.  This would be especially useful for children (migrant children more so) to give the player an idea of when the kid will be ready to become a contributing member of society.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
  • Ǵ̨̕o͘d͝d̡͢e̡̕s̷͟s̵͢ ͝of̴ ͡G͘͠a̧mi̶n̛͝g̨
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Age
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 12:39:41 am »

That'd be a good addition to the profile. :)
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

MULTI-THREADING - I'm talking about it!

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 12:47:24 am »

When I  saw the title, I was thinking an age of only dwarves. Like a "Golden Age"
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 12:48:41 am »

It's the aaaage of dwarfarius! The aaaaage of dwarfariuuuuusssss!
If I had a dollar for every dwarf whose feelings I didn't care about, I'd have seven dollars, with more coming in the fall.

Urist McSharpblade, Axe Sheriff cancels Justice: Needs more than an axe for this.

Reasonableman

• Bay Watcher
  • ...Probably.
    • View Profile
    • Twitter is dead, long live Cohost
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 12:51:56 am »

Huh. I always thought there was some really obvious way to check ages that I was missing.
A sane man must be reasonable, but a reasonable man need not be sane.

Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 12:55:18 am »

Unfortunately cutting them in half and trying to count the rings not only doesn't work... It's hard to put them back together after that...

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 08:11:45 am »

Well, I usually kill my dwarves off before dying of age becomes a problem. But, still something useful.
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:58:46 am »

Can anyone point me to an account of a dwarf that gets killed by time? It would have to be a very impressive fortress to last that long.

Sapidus3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Daily Innovention
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 01:14:19 pm »

I don't think I have ever had a dwarf die of old age. My fortresses all ways are either destroyed first or I just get bored of them.

Since time is already abstracted somewhat (our dwarfs eat, sleep, and drink once a season), what would people think if dwarf lifespans were shortened. They would age to maturity much quicker, and they would die of old age faster. This could make generational forts more feasible. Of course I would want to be able to check the age of my dwarf first.
http://dailyinnovention.blogspot.com/
A place for ideas with nowhere to go; ideas that would otherwise become stagnate.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 01:48:07 pm »

Whether or not our dwarves are dieing of old age, an age thing would be useful. Especially for roleplaying and community forts.