Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Games you wish existed  (Read 11758 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Games you wish existed
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 04:24:22 am »

There is a Total Annihilation 2.  It's called Supreme Commander.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2008, 04:54:31 am »

No, it's not TA2. Not any longer, though it was so in plans. It got too simple, they even released it on XBox. I mean what, one upgradable factory for all land units? Single-purpose units? Direct power progression across tech levels? This is Supreme Commander, not TA2. In TA, low-level units are never obsolete, all units can fire at whatever's in their sights, you need to make choices of whether to advance all-terrain walking machines or powerful vehicles, and most of all, nanostall isn't just a programmed 50% increase in total time and cost when your resources run out. I want TA on SC's engine. I even tried to do that, but failed.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2008, 04:08:37 pm »

1. Master of Magic 2. [Even tho, Stardock is making a very similar game, what will be released @ 2009 winter, no more infos are available atm]
2. Knights of Legend sequel
3. Age of Wonders 3.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2008, 04:15:51 pm »

Planetside 2. SOE screwed up the first one, and after what, 4 years? its still running on its extremely old engine that wasn't even good for its time. I loved that game so much i had sex with it on several occasions. And yeah TA2 would be good, loved the first one + its expansions and the weird mods that came out of it. The spring one was good for a while but it got fairly boring after a while.

MMad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2008, 04:37:27 pm »

I have many, many games I wished existed, many of which I hope one day to work on. :)
Some of the weirder ones would include a realistic pigeon simulator and a conversation-based gamed controlled only with a headset.
"Ask not what your fortress can do for you - ask what you can do for your fortress."
Unapologetic ASCII abolitionist.

bigmcstrongmuscle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 04:47:45 pm »

A roguelike in which "Do I swing Masamune at the guard, kick over the table and take cover behind it, throw a fireball at the curtains across the room, or rip this piece of iron piping out of the wall and hurl it down the stairs?" is a valid tactical question.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 06:04:33 pm »

A game which has enough detail to actually be truly, deeply educational, beyond the simple "x is jump, o is fire", yet allows you to make lethal use of that knowledge in the game.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 07:18:45 pm »

I think pairing the conversation control with the educational game would be good. You're an evil computer trying to lead the sole survivor of your diabolical plans through a deathtrap for your own amusement.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2008, 11:03:04 pm »

MECHWARRIOR 5
BASED ON THE FAN'S SUGGESTIONS.

Seriously, they have lists on the various MC forums that are kept and constantly updated/edited in the event that MC5 ever comes about. But if it ever does, it will be by EA or M$ who don't give a damn about what the people want.

Zerox

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Rose Gold lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2008, 12:02:32 am »

Either of these:

An RTS+FPS that blends near perfectly. As in, one player controls the others,(like an RTS) and the players will gain rank if their assigned objective is completed. Having it so that he players should form into squads and make it so that being with squadmates is so beneficial (Damage/health bonuses) That not being with a squad is suicide. Then have players (Or the commander) be able to construct vehicles and aircraft.
Essentially the core components of, say, COD4 mixed with many of the RTS elements.

Or a hyper realistic RTS.
Seriously. If a tank is shot by another tank once (Or maybe twice if it is a modern vehicle) it will blow up! Have accuracy in an RTS for heaven's sake!
It's Dwarves not dwarfs.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2008, 02:24:04 am »

An RTS+FPS that blends near perfectly. As in, one player controls the others,(like an RTS) and the players will gain rank if their assigned objective is completed. Having it so that he players should form into squads and make it so that being with squadmates is so beneficial (Damage/health bonuses) That not being with a squad is suicide. Then have players (Or the commander) be able to construct vehicles and aircraft.
Essentially the core components of, say, COD4 mixed with many of the RTS elements.

This is why I really want to play Iron Grip, which is mostly what you described, if the blurb is to believed.  One player takes the role of the badguys, running an RTS game throwing waves of baddies at the other team, who are all player controlled hero-types.  It's even steampunk, which is always a plus.  That said, it's basically an adaptation of co-op gameplay, with a player instead of AI for the level units.

Since it came up, I just finished CoD4 after getting it two days ago.  That was not an FPS, it was an FPS-themed minigame collection, and was about half as long as it should have been.

Or a hyper realistic RTS.
Seriously. If a tank is shot by another tank once (Or maybe twice if it is a modern vehicle) it will blow up! Have accuracy in an RTS for heaven's sake!

That began as a concession to programing limitations, but long outlived it's necessity.  Instead of modeling accuracy and portraying damage realisticly (i.e. unforgiving), dev's continue to use the same "every shot hits, and every unit can take this many hits" model employed in Dune 2, because that was all a computer could handle.  That model should have died with Total Annihilation, which still took the easy route.  We have balistic modeling now - there is no reason to continue to tie war simulations to an ancient and completely unrealistic Hit Point system.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2008, 02:40:46 am »

I played Iron Grip.  At least an old version of it, I don't know if they've updated since then.

It was alright, but had its problems.  I never actually played online, I just goofed around by raising an army as the oppressors and then fighting it as a rebel.  The rebel weapons were rather lackluster, unfortunately...  They had power and a certain degree of efficiency, but they handled like a dead duck with three wings and a club foot.  They didn't look very pretty either.

And the oppressors only had two unit types, with one major upgrade for each.

The main thing I remember about it was that I couldn't lower the music volume.  Probably just something screwed up on my side though.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2008, 03:48:44 am »

... That model should have died with Total Annihilation, which still took the easy route...
I'm not sure I understood that part correctly...  Yeah, TA had hit points, but everything went ballistic (literally) from there, up to and including intercontinental cannons.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Bromor Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2008, 03:25:19 pm »

An updated version of Sun Dog.

A version of Facade that actually works.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2008, 03:31:21 pm »

System Shock III

(peddle none of your Bioshock spiritual successor mumbo-voodoo around here. I'm sooorry. babies need meat)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6