Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: The good artifacts  (Read 6456 times)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: The good artifacts
« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2008, 03:44:15 pm »

It's interesting that a steel warhammer does far more damage than a platinum warhammer of the same size--the platinum hammer would be far heavier.

Then again, it might be the case that a dwarf of fixed strength can swing a heavier weapon like that with less force, averaging it out to mean that materials of different density result in constant damage, and that it's the relative HARDNESS of a material that describes how quick the blow is, meaning gold would make a poorer warhammer than steel since part of the impact would be soaked up by the weapon itself deforming.

Still, I have a hard time visualizing an adamantine warhammer being of as much use as advertised, since there's got to be some threshold where a dwarf has a maximum speed he/she can swing a weapon, and light-as-a-feather adamantine would be beyond that cap and therefore LESS valuable as a weighty weapon.

But as sharpened pointies it'd of course be first-rate. Heck, the extracted threads might lend themselves to different weapon designs. Imagine an axe that, instead of having a full metal head, was just a triangular frame across which was stretched a wire of unimaginable strength and tension, finer than a hair and able to quickly slice enemies apart. "Cheese Slicer the Decapitator of Nobles, an *adamantine wire axe*. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality."
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Boatmurderer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2008, 04:23:12 pm »

Maybe it's the same basic thing with the hammer; it's not really so much a hammer as a net of filaments... like a dreamcatcher. Since it's hollow, it would be very light, but since it isn't so much smashing as grating your enemies, it does a great deal of damage.

I really don't know.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2008, 05:25:07 pm »

Maybe it's the same basic thing with the hammer; it's not really so much a hammer as a net of filaments... like a dreamcatcher. Since it's hollow, it would be very light, but since it isn't so much smashing as grating your enemies, it does a great deal of damage.

I really don't know.

Or an adamantine tennis racket!! ;D
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2008, 07:33:50 pm »

Maybe it's not light so much as it bouyed by demonic magic that it's filled with.  After all, adamantine is really good at baiting dwarves into setting hordes of demons free ;D
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Willfrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2008, 12:36:40 am »

Aww man, these artifacts are cool..  The most useful (and cool one) was a gold coffin with an engraving of a historical event (megabeast getting slain if i remember) engraved in iron on it.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2008, 07:23:15 am »

It's interesting that a steel warhammer does far more damage than a platinum warhammer of the same size--the platinum hammer would be far heavier.

Then again, it might be the case that a dwarf of fixed strength can swing a heavier weapon like that with less force, averaging it out to mean that materials of different density result in constant damage, and that it's the relative HARDNESS of a material that describes how quick the blow is, meaning gold would make a poorer warhammer than steel since part of the impact would be soaked up by the weapon itself deforming.

Still, I have a hard time visualizing an adamantine warhammer being of as much use as advertised, since there's got to be some threshold where a dwarf has a maximum speed he/she can swing a weapon, and light-as-a-feather adamantine would be beyond that cap and therefore LESS valuable as a weighty weapon.

But as sharpened pointies it'd of course be first-rate. Heck, the extracted threads might lend themselves to different weapon designs. Imagine an axe that, instead of having a full metal head, was just a triangular frame across which was stretched a wire of unimaginable strength and tension, finer than a hair and able to quickly slice enemies apart. "Cheese Slicer the Decapitator of Nobles, an *adamantine wire axe*. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality."

Well, when using a large hammer like that... a war hammer (or a sledge hammer for that matter), you're not swinging the thing around like a baseball bat, you're mostly just allowing gravity to impart the force of the hammer, which you of course also assist by exerting downward force.

The heaviest hammer you can practically lift is the one that smashes the hardest.

However, this is DF, weapons are just simple rules and math  :P

Lalandrathon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2008, 12:59:19 pm »

However with a warhammer, you aren't attacking a stationary target, an overhead swing is probably not going to be the best option unless your opponent is already stunned.

I figure since adamantine is really hard, the collision is a lot more kinetic than otherwise and is good for sending people flying. I mean if the metal is too light, you can always make the hammer more imposing or add ballast like rock or something.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2008, 03:43:45 pm »

The problem with ballast is that weight is weight.  If you have a 1lb hammer with 10lbs of ballast, you're still hauling around just as much weight as if you just had an 11lb weapon.  Ingame, however, Adamantine is really really light, so it can't just be ballast.

I still like my demonic helium idea ;D
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Dr. Von Uristein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2008, 04:10:55 pm »

Among the more useful artifacts i've gotten:
- An indigo tourmaline bed
- A bone table
- A moss agate coffin
- A copper bucket

None of them particularly valuable, but they do wonders for rooms.

It puts the golden salve on it's skin...

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2008, 04:07:29 pm »

My current favorite is a Dark Gnome Bone Door.  Dwarves do not take kindly to short evil competitors, no sir.

I'm kinda worried about using it as a main gate though.  What if it gets buildingsmashed... *cries*
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Lazureus

• Bay Watcher
  • Perfection is Flawed
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2008, 06:33:50 pm »

My current favorite is a Dark Gnome Bone Door.  Dwarves do not take kindly to short evil competitors, no sir.

I'm kinda worried about using it as a main gate though.  What if it gets buildingsmashed... *cries*

With doors, the only effects building smash does to them, in my experience, is it unhinges and gets tossed aside ready to be used again. same for floodgates.
Current modding project:Tyranids 2010
Past modding projects:
DF2010: Crematorium
40d: ‼TYRANIDS‼
Quote from: Dark Pegasus
Just when I thought I couldn't despise him any more... He finds a whole new and undiscovered way!!

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2008, 10:42:12 pm »

i just recalled, one of my unfortunate hammerers had a steel warhammer that was adorned with hanging rings of bitumous coal.

Which made me think, if I could safely light the thing, I could have a flaming steel warhammer...

But I ended up melting it.  Which didn't seem to have any adverse outcomes.

MuonDecay

• Bay Watcher
  • Say hello to my little μ
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2008, 06:24:22 am »

i just recalled, one of my unfortunate hammerers had a steel warhammer that was adorned with hanging rings of bitumous coal.

Which made me think, if I could safely light the thing, I could have a flaming steel warhammer...

But I ended up melting it.  Which didn't seem to have any adverse outcomes.

I am dying to see someone try to paint an illustration of a smiting with such a hammer.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2008, 08:52:47 pm »

Not an artifact at all, but I couldn't resist.

Worth about 5500 monies.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2008, 09:28:07 pm »

Early on in my fort, my metalcrafter was possesed and turned a single iron bar into an Axe with an image of one of my farmers on it. My Axe-champion is using it. It's called "Moralwatch".

Directly after that, another metalcrafter got possesed and maked a Zinc buckler with an image of the first king on it, spikes of zinc, and sapphires. I like to imagine it forms the image of a horned dwarf with sapphire eyes. My swordchampion is using it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6