Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The good artifacts  (Read 6457 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The good artifacts
« on: July 29, 2008, 06:13:23 pm »

Ok so there have been topics popping up about weird ones and your first one and I decided to start one on useful artifacts. The only ones I can recolect is a cabnet (will be useful later with nobles) and a mace in the same fort (current one). I wana use the mace but I only have 4 squads (non are acually equiped except for one ax) a sword squad of three, 2 crossbow squads of 3 and an ax squad of 2. Well fire away.

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The good artifacts
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 06:25:42 pm »

One of my first artifacts was a bone warhammer, never got a champion so  it just sat there in my armoury.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 06:36:59 pm »

In one of my few fortresses to really thrive, I got an artifact mechanism and an artifact giant bronze axe blade from two of the first three strange moods. I built a weapon trap right at the gates of my fortress, and it chewed up hydras, dragons, bronze colossi, and goblin leaders quite satisfactorily.

One goblin spearmaster had his fingers and toes splattered two or three Z-levels up by this magnificent trap. I found them hanging on the ramparts.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 06:54:33 pm »

Decorations! Dwarf Fortress style!

I love it!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 07:04:21 pm »

In one of my few fortresses to really thrive, I got an artifact mechanism and an artifact giant bronze axe blade from two of the first three strange moods. I built a weapon trap right at the gates of my fortress, and it chewed up hydras, dragons, bronze colossi, and goblin leaders quite satisfactorily.

One goblin spearmaster had his fingers and toes splattered two or three Z-levels up by this magnificent trap. I found them hanging on the ramparts.
That is totally awsome, was there only the giant bronze axe or were there other weapons in there?
In other news I just got some immigrants so I now have a new squad that can be macers and a addition to the ax dwarves. Is there a particular limit to who can get the artifact weapons?

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:21:47 pm »

I seem to recall that only champions will wield artifact weapons, so you might have a bit of training to do before anyone will use it.
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 08:58:07 pm »

I just got an artifact crossbow made of three or four types of wood, turtle shell, some stone or other, and nickel silver.  I assume whichever of my crossbowmen reaches Champion status first will claim and use it.

In this fort, I also have an artifact statue, and some other useful piece of furniture - a cabinet, as I recall.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:15:32 pm »

Ya furniture, weapons, and armor seem like the only really useful ones.

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 09:21:43 pm »

I got two fey moods within short time of each other, first was a alunite weapon rack, trimmed in aluminum, studded in iron and menacing with spikes of lead, images in green glass.

the second was a aluminium armour stand, trimmed in alunite, studded in lead, menacing with spikes of iron, menacing with spikes of bone, images in cut sunstone.

quite a set together me thinks.

Dareon Clearwater

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:colorful underwear]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 10:05:22 pm »

In a volcanic glass above-ground fortress, I got a green glass armor stand (Plopped directly into the mayor's room) and a set of iron chain leggings, spiked with obsidian, and emblazoned with a shining sun in iron.
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:44:03 pm »

A golden spear.

Combined with elephant leather armor and elephant leather shield artifacts from the same fortress and you've got one awe-inspiring warrior. Though my multi-legendary marksdwarf uses plate so...

Eatnobles4breakfast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 10:59:40 pm »

I got a basalt weapon rack encrusted with basalt and an immage of a basalt weapon rack on it, in basalt!
Not very imaginative, but i built it somewhere where all my dwarves will see it
Dastog Eatsnobles is posessed with a lazy mood!
Dastog Eatsnobles cancels be useful: in a lazy mood
Dastog Eatsnobles has claimed a wooden couch!
Dastog Eatsnobles is now a legendary peasant!

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 11:03:50 pm »

I'm liking these artifacts that are coming in, keep em coming!

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 11:06:35 pm »

I got a basalt weapon rack encrusted with basalt and an immage of a basalt weapon rack on it, in basalt!
Not very imaginative, but i built it somewhere where all my dwarves will see it

I bet that image of the rack on the decorated rack has another image of a basalt weapon rack on it.
This is not a signature.

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 11:13:59 pm »

I had an artifact Iron mace (yay! not tin, or some other crap material) in my current fortress.  At the time I had a macelord.  I deactivated his squad (convert to civilians), waited a bit, then reactivated.  Sure enough, he started wielding it.

I've previously had a smattering of artifact bone bucklers and the like... those were useful only to the extent that I got a legendary armorcrafter out of it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6