Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will I still get migrants if there's no mountainhomes?  (Read 1209 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Will I still get migrants if there's no mountainhomes?
« on: July 29, 2008, 11:55:04 am »

All of my dwarven civs went extinct by about 650 and now when I run the fortress I don't get any dwarven caravans nor does the Mountainhomes show up on the civs list. Will I get any immigrants at all? Or nobles? :(

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will I still get migrants if there's no mountainhomes?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 12:03:14 pm »

if you have a king then youre fortress is the mountainhomes but thats all i know,ask some of the more experianced guys.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 12:25:26 pm »

I was wondering something similar.

If I get a king, then my fortress becomes the mountainhomes, so there are no more caravans. What happens if I then abandon the fortress, as abandoned forts seem to get overrun by monsters?

Would my civilization no longer have a mountainhome, or would it be reestablished somewhere else. And what if it wasn't even in the mountains?

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:40:24 pm »

you can have a onland,underground or underwater fort but it will still be mountainhomes.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

Caledonian

• Bay Watcher
  • Occluded Sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 12:40:59 pm »

So your fortress is the last, best hope of dwarvenkind?

That's awesome... I wish I could set game parameters to cause that to occur.
I am Immortal:  I have inside me blood of kings.
I have no rival:  no man can be my equal.
Take me to the future of your world!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 12:42:37 pm »

And what if it wasn't even in the mountains?

Then it's just "The Homes"
Shoes...

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 12:44:00 pm »

by the time the kings there youre fort should be self sufficent,mine is almost self sufficent only need do order steel and iron bars cause i cant get any of em in my mines,maybe in the mountains,i havent mined all the map up.but its my second year.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 01:02:56 pm »

I don't think you understand, there is no mountainhomes. There are no dwarven civs that exist anywhere in the world, no dwarven fortresses except ruins. If there's no migrants I will never grow beyond 7 dwarves except with children.

And it's a fantastic location, with red sand, magma, a brook, and 4 full layers of obsidian. :-[

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 01:12:27 pm »

If there's no mountainhomes then how did you ever manage to play on the map as dwarves? You can only have one playable civ at a time, and you need a base civ to start from.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 01:26:42 pm »

telding if you just started a new fort a caravan will arive in spring and the immigrants should come in the first year aslong as you have a meeting area but aslong as the wagon is a default meeting area even if its not there its still safer to make a indoors meeting area.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 01:30:33 pm »

I believe you will still get migrants since they spawn spontaneously and are not yet drawn from existing people.  As for the caravan and liaison, I don't know.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 01:35:40 pm »

I played a game where my civ had been wiped out by goblins many years prior. I never got any migrants or caravans in the 2 years I played before the goblins finally overran me.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 01:37:52 pm »

I played a game where my civ had been wiped out by goblins many years prior. I never got any migrants or caravans in the 2 years I played before the goblins finally overran me.

Oh right.  Caravan = migrants, therefore no caravan = no migrants.  Looks like you get to try a true generation fort.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 02:51:00 pm »

If there's no mountainhomes then how did you ever manage to play on the map as dwarves? You can only have one playable civ at a time, and you need a base civ to start from.

It let me choose from the 2 extinct dwarf civs, but neither of them had any blue dwarf home symbols.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 03:25:09 pm »

if you just let teh 7 dwarfves "reproduce" themselves  ::) do you get bad dwarves or is there no problem with in-breeding at the dwarves?
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.
Pages: [1] 2