Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Genning High (But Sparse) Cliffs?  (Read 1353 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Genning High (But Sparse) Cliffs?
« on: July 29, 2008, 10:14:57 am »

Could someone tell me (if anyone even knows) how I would generate a world that contains lots of very high cliffs, but which also contains lots of flat levels in between them?

I'd like to embark near some cliffs, but not have to deal with 500 different Z-levels two squares apart. I'd like just great big walls everywhere, so I can settle a Canyon Fortress and play a little Tower Defense game with constructions along the valleys. ;)
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Genning High (But Sparse) Cliffs?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 10:39:52 am »

Haha, I would try switching off erosion, thats the biggest contributor to having more sharper cliffs, preventing the terrain from erroding the edges. At least from my experience.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 10:41:50 am »

Haha, I would try switching off erosion, thats the biggest contributor to having more sharper cliffs, preventing the terrain from erroding the edges. At least from my experience.

Even with zero erosion I still manage to get the 'hill' effect with my cliffs.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 10:54:20 am »

Perhaps those 'mesh size' parameters...? I've never understood what they do (if anything).
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 12:07:29 pm »

They keep biomes clumped together and do absolutely nothing in fortress mode.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 02:26:19 pm »

Try setting the wheights of the lowest and highest areas to 1 and all others to 0. Remember to null all things that use elevation as a rejection criteria or else you won't get anything but rejects. Seting altitudal variation to high might also work. Remember that all clifs currently have slopes to combat pathing problems IIRC. They'll be removed once climbing is implemented and the pathing is fixed, or so I've read.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 03:46:39 pm »

Turn the option "Periodically erode cliff extremes" to no. That's the little bugger that is making everything ramped and messy.

edit: yeah i just tried it myself and it didn't do squat. sorry.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 05:28:08 pm by Dasqoot »

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 03:47:36 pm »

Turn the option "Periodically erode cliff extremes" to no. That's the little bugger that is making everything ramped and messy.

Turning off erosion cycles and that setting still makes messy ramps and there are still no sheer cliffs.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Lazer Bomb

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine! Cosine! TANGENT!
    • View Profile
    • Homepage 60☼
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 05:20:02 pm »

You could always dig out your own cliffs. Takes a while, but...
Kagus: "Still, demonic spelunking is always a promising idea."

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 08:07:20 pm »

Turning off erosion cycles and that setting still makes messy ramps and there are still no sheer cliffs.

Toady had said in the devlogs a while ago that cliffs are going to be extremely rare and nearly everything will have ramps and slopes. So there will be no more sheer 20+ cliffs. Everyone else but the adventurers cried at this.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 02:04:02 am »

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 12:30:38 pm »

Use the designation 'remove up ramps/stairs' to remove the ramps!

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 01:44:18 pm »

Use the designation 'remove up ramps/stairs' to remove the ramps!

Then you have a step pattern, as opposed to ramped. No more cliff-like than before.

However, I believe Toady has stated it's like this until he can come up with a decent way to deal with cliffs, such as climbing them, etc.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 03:07:49 pm »

Start by looking at the top of a hill, grass and boulders and whatnot. Drop one level.  Order ramps dug across the entire area you want to become empty space, right up to the final edges of the cliff. The ramps remove the floor, cause no cave-ins, and do not cause pathing difficulties like channels. Once that floor is completed, drop another Z level. Designate your empty space again, expanding the area skyward if the hill grows outward. Wash rinse repeat until you reach your intended ground floor. Designate to remove the ramps at the bottom edge of the cliff. Heaps of stone will lay around your new entryway. Build a single ramp and adjacent wall near a mason shop, designate an activity zone off the top off the wall as a garbage dump, use the new d-b-d combination and designate all that stone to be dumped, reclaim once its done, and there you have it. A hundred stone pieces sitting next to your mason and an enormous cliff face to build your gate into.

I'm currently using this method to carve underground streets six tiles wide and five or six tiles tall. For an ongoing project like that, dig chunks of street out with ramps starting at the top of the space and retreating one horizontal level from the long end of the street every Z level you go down. Working like this prevents cave-ins. I've made a very nice columned forum with two levels of balconies  in front of the proposed palace site this way.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.