Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: peaceful world! :P  (Read 890 times)

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
peaceful world! :P
« on: July 29, 2008, 08:51:46 am »

im playing a fort in the new army arc version, and it seems all civs are at peace with eachother.

i wonder if there is any way of getting a siege by killing caravans and stuff?
een failing lately?

Fleeb

• Bay Watcher
  • The Fleebiest
    • View Profile
Re: peaceful world! :P
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 09:24:28 am »

i wonder if there is any way of getting a siege by killing caravans and stuff?

Yes. If you seize their goods they will get pissed and siege you.
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over" -Fudds First Law of Opposition
"If it goes in, it must come out" -Teslicles Deviant to Fudds Law

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 09:42:03 am »

Yes. If you seize their goods they will get pissed and siege you.

can i get an actual confirmation on this? has anybody experienced this in-game?
een failing lately?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 10:46:46 am »

also doesn't it help if you make the year lower (ie 200 instead of the 1050 defaut). Oh and how do you find out how many mega beasts are still in your world?

Ubersoldat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:39:33 pm »

also doesn't it help if you make the year lower (ie 200 instead of the 1050 defaut). Oh and how do you find out how many mega beasts are still in your world?

Yeah, wars tend to occur a lot in the early years, by 1050 most civs have beat each other into submission (and therefore peace). It's hard to tell how many megabeasts there are sometimes, but usually only 1 or 2 (if any) will survive for more than a century. Sometimes the ages will be named after the existing megabeasts (Draconic Age, Age of Hydra and Demon, etc.)

I'm gonna go try that "seize goods to start a siege" idea out now, hehe.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 01:53:33 pm »

Yeah, wars tend to occur a lot in the early years, by 1050 most civs have beat each other into submission (and therefore peace). It's hard to tell how many megabeasts there are sometimes, but usually only 1 or 2 (if any) will survive for more than a century. Sometimes the ages will be named after the existing megabeasts (Draconic Age, Age of Hydra and Demon, etc.)

I'm gonna go try that "seize goods to start a siege" idea out now, hehe.
Hmm well then there probably isn't any beasts left now even though I started by 200.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 02:00:00 pm »

Hm... The newbie succession fort seems to have found that a human seige is triggered by the loss/styming of a human diplomat. Guy got strangled by a mob of goblin wrestlers, and the next year the Human National Guard had it's annual cookout in our yard.

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 02:13:07 pm »

I made a world stop at year 2, at the moment I'm  just adventuring around it, but every mountain cave seems to have giants etc in it, so Its looking good for a fortress when Ive finished with my current one (im constructing a 18 Z level execution tower, that has a fortified bridge up top, bedroom and tomb for the dungeon master, cage storage and a barracks for the gaurd, and at the bottom is a glass bridge, so I can grab any metals I want then drop the rest into the magma below >:) )

once that project is over (which is gonna be a while :) )

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 03:15:06 pm »

Hi!

My suggestions for having a more interesting world (besides modding megabeasts):

Megabeasts:
* max out caverns + cavern size
* set year of testing for megabeasts to 2
* set percentage of megabeasts to the one you want
* reduce number of civilizations and/or population cap

Wars(uncomfirmed, so no guarantees they will work):
* max out civilization number (part of the peace problem seems to be that eventually growth slows down so much that there are no border conflicts - an overcrowded map should add some trouble)
* stop around 200 - 300 (actually, with the new stop world gen options, you can check regularly what the world looks like and enter game just when you see some ruins cropping up).

Deathworks

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 03:48:06 pm »

Hm... The newbie succession fort seems to have found that a human seige is triggered by the loss/styming of a human diplomat. Guy got strangled by a mob of goblin wrestlers, and the next year the Human National Guard had it's annual cookout in our yard.

Confirmed.  In my own fort, in the year 155, a Human Diplomat (not liason), stumbled into an ambush.  He made a valiant effort to reach our walls, but died just short.  Every goblin was killed.

In the year 156, when the Humans ought to arrive to trade, 16 Human siegers arrived (a spearmaster on Horse, 6 Crossbowmen, and 9 wrestlers).  Every human was killed, except for the spearmaster who managed to flee on horse.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 12:23:37 am »

if you want to get more megabeasts and less giants do what Deathworks told me to do for the dragon, look at the giant cluster number thing, take two of both figures there, then copy and paste it to the megabeast(s) you want to survive it made me get like triple the number of dragons