Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: get my livestock in their "cage"  (Read 943 times)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
get my livestock in their "cage"
« on: July 29, 2008, 06:59:56 am »

is there a way to get my cows inside a pit/fence without dwarves. like some pasture where they can walk, grow older, get slaughtered etc.

so NOT putting them in cages because that's sad ;D
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

unknwnsoljer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: get my livestock in their "cage"
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 07:03:35 am »

Make a big room for your livestock. Put a door at the exit. Put all the livestock in a cage that is in said room. Let them out, and lock the door. Of course, now you can't slaughter them without unlocking the door...
Or designate a meeting area (which tamed animals will congregate it), and hope your dwarves don't hang out in the meeting area?

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 07:06:59 am »

xD they are allways idlers, but i'm going to lock the door but make it still passable for animals, maybe that would work

*PS* any other ideas?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:12:48 am by Scruga »
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 07:23:52 am »

Make a big room for your livestock. Put a door at the exit. Put all the livestock in a cage that is in said room. Let them out, and lock the door. Of course, now you can't slaughter them without unlocking the door...

If you make the door impassible to animals, they can still get out if a dwarf opens the door, right? So the butcher could come and get them OK?

To keep the other animals in, you'd want two or three doors in a row. And leave a cage in the 'pasture.' If an animal slips past the first door, just cage it again, then release it.

You could put your butcher just off the pasture, too, I suppose. But you might want the pasture outdoors (for realism purposes), surrounded by walls.

Bill

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 07:30:11 am »

to tell you, my town is totally outdoors  :D so that ain't no problem

Omega2

• Bay Watcher
  • Too productive for his own good
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:34:57 am »

I think you could create a walled-off Pit area with a single locked door and a ramp going to the top of the walls and just dump the animals there. Unlock the door (but keep it tightly closed) when you need a butcher to come in, then just re-pit any animals that escape while the door is open.
Fire in the disco! Fire in the disco! Fire in the dining hall!