Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where did my axe go?  (Read 847 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where did my axe go?
« on: July 29, 2008, 05:15:56 am »

I embarked with the standard 2 steel battle axes, but as there are no trees on the map, used both axes for my military. I had 2 dwarves sparring with them who eventually became highly skilled axedwarves.

I was periodically checking my military to make sure they weren't injured, and noticed that one of my axedwarves was no longer advancing in the axe skill but was still advancing in wrestling. On checking his inventory, I found he no longer had an axe.

A check of the Stocks screen revealed that I now only have 1 battle axe in my fort.

Any ideas what could have happened to the other one? I haven't had any messages that thieves have stolen them, though it's possible I could have missed this.

It's not really a big problem as the axe was easily replaced, but I'm a bit puzzled by what happened to the original one.

Joseph Miles

• Bay Watcher
  • DF isn't a game, its a way of life!
    • View Profile
    • http://bugger92.proboards91.com/
Re: Where did my axe go?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 05:30:15 am »

Is it possible it was overused and got destroyed? I know it happens to clothes, so maybe?
Cog - He's the new Urist.
Yes they are a bunch of drunken unstable retards, but they're MY drunken unstable retards, and I will take care of them.
It could be worse, that cat could be alive.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 06:07:46 am »

Do you have a chasm in the map? Have you traded with any caravans recently?
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 06:23:37 am »

A really badass kobold?
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 06:47:19 am »

There is no chasm or magma on the map. I don't know exactly when the axe disappeared, but I have traded with several caravans over the last few years. However, I have never sold any weapons or ordered them brought to the depot for trading.

One possibility I thought of is that it could have got stuck in the corpse of one of his opponents and then hauled off to the refuse stockpile, then rotted away because it was left outside for too long. But if that was the case I don't know why he didn't just pick it up again first.

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 07:25:38 am »

I once lost an axe to a wild ox my axedwarf attacked - the axe got stuck in it, and then the ox left the area with it.  So, an injured opponent might have fun off the map with your axe, never to return.

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 07:46:26 am »

That's something I hadn't thought of, there have been plenty of fights with goblins, and though I haven't noticed any escaping it's possible one ran off with the axe stuck in it.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 09:40:03 am »

I once lost an axe to a wild ox my axedwarf attacked - the axe got stuck in it, and then the ox left the area with it.  So, an injured opponent might have fun off the map with your axe, never to return.
That's something I hadn't thought of, there have been plenty of fights with goblins, and though I haven't noticed any escaping it's possible one ran off with the axe stuck in it.
...and that's why everybody needs some skill at wrestling! I'd be gutted if I managed to have a masterful, gem-encrusted hammer "stolen" in this manner.
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

d3c0y2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 09:49:23 am »

hammers dont usually get stuck in people though :)

erendor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 09:57:27 am »

hammers dont usually get stuck in people though :)

You're obviously not using them properly.

soup_alex

• Bay Watcher
  • Immune to Psychology
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2008, 10:10:02 am »

Erm... exactly!

(Oops. Hammers on the brain. Hammerbrained.)
Quote from: Jackrabbit
I feel a disturbance in the force, as if one guy cried out and was silenced via liberal application of sock.
Quote from: Kay12
Oh, espace! It's the act of espacing, or runnign awya, fleaing or so on.
Quote from: tigrex
Re: Dwarven Baby cancels Clean Self: Too insane; That's why babies don't clean themselves in real life, you know.

Sinned

• Bay Watcher
  • <Intentionally left blank>
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 06:36:56 pm »

I embarked with the standard 2 steel battle axes, but as there are no trees on the map, used both axes for my military. I had 2 dwarves sparring with them who eventually became highly skilled axedwarves.

I was periodically checking my military to make sure they weren't injured, and noticed that one of my axedwarves was no longer advancing in the axe skill but was still advancing in wrestling. On checking his inventory, I found he no longer had an axe.

A check of the Stocks screen revealed that I now only have 1 battle axe in my fort.

Any ideas what could have happened to the other one? I haven't had any messages that thieves have stolen them, though it's possible I could have missed this.

It's not really a big problem as the axe was easily replaced, but I'm a bit puzzled by what happened to the original one.

Dude where is my axe? ((sorry, couldn't stop myself))

How skilled did they become? Hero/champion/legendary... don't these guys just get to take what they want (for their belongings?) Maybe (s)he liked that axe and "took" it. Don't they get to do that once the economy kicks in? He/she didn't dump it in a container they own?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 06:40:05 pm by Sinned »
When you find yourself in the company of a dwarf and an ill-tempered Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon... just the dwarf.